Zoos and Carrying in cities

This is a discussion on Zoos and Carrying in cities within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live out in the counry and the towns I do go to don't have more than ten thousand people in them. Well my younger ...

Thread: Zoos and Carrying in cities

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar

I live out in the counry and the towns I do go to don't have more than ten thousand people in them. Well my younger sister is about to have her baby in a couple months and wants my mom and my older sister, her husband, and their 2 yr old boy, to go to the Cheyenee Moutain zoo in Colorado Springs sometime soon before she pops so she can get out of the house and walk around and also to let our nephew the 2 year old enjoy the zoo. I'm not much of a zoo person let alone a person that likes bigger towns. I was wondering if any of you know there carry policy? I tried calling 4x and got nothing from anybody that knows anything. The zoo itself is not so much a concern but the parking lot and the rest of the trip are and I would like to be carrying as I always do. I will see more people in one day than I normally do in 3 months in one place lol. Any thoughts?

Find out if it's privately or publicly owned. I know Oklahoma law prevents me from carrying in any building where government does business with the public, but that doesn't matter because the local zoo is actually not owned publicly. Were it government-owned I could carry in the park, but not in the buildings, however since it's privately owned their policy is to not allow firearms, but signs hold no legal weight in Oklahoma.

You need to know who owns it, and how your state law applies to that entity.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

If you ask enough people someone will tell you no. The Zoo isn't posted it IS worth the price of admission. They let you feed the giraffes

The Closest I can find for an answer to this is the following copy and paste from a Q&A on the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners website. You should be OK with a concealed carry weapon. I have not personally been to the Cheyenne Mtn Zoo. I'm like you in that I stick to small towns, on the western slope preferably.
    If I have a concealed carry permit, can I carry at places like the Denver Zoo (which has a sign indicating "No Guns")? Yes.

This is another case of an anti-gun city posting a deceptive sign. But state law (18-12-214, see above) gives them no choice. RMGO Executive Director Dudley Brown confronted the Denver Zoo on this sign, and after viewing their written policy (which is not displayed in public, and which states in very small writing that permit holders are allowed to carry), promptly carried (much to the dismay of security personnel).

I personally HAVE been to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo it isn't posted. The also have a herd of WILD mountain Goats at the zoo that just live there

Thank you all I figured if I actually did get ahold of someone at the zoo they would just say no cause thats is probably there preferance or like in the "Denver Zoo" post they would like you to check in with security and show your permit.
    Cheyenne Moutain zoo is a non profit that from what I read was given to the city of Colorado Springs which if that is the case I should be ok because its not a govenment building I don't know it they are posted at teh entrance but I guess if it is I can walk back to the vehicle and disarm :(
    Normally it wouldn't bother me but my sisters have their heads in the sand, they see no problem with me carrying out here because of snakes, coyotes, putting cattle down if its suffering etc. but don't think i should carry at the zoo. My sister lives in a very nice new cookie cutter neighborhood but has also mentioned two stories inperticular that I didn't like. One being that a guy was stabbed beaten or killed on the pathway he ran everymorning betwen houses and that one of her neighbors acts really strange, she thinks drugs. I would never forgive myself if something happened to my sisters as they are the cause for 90% of me getting whooped in highschool and college ;). (No problems with the boys my little one dated but the older one is a couple years older and was cheerleader in college and we owned a house together, and went to parties together). Thanks for those who posted.

Treo, did you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    like in the "Denver Zoo" post they would like you to check in with security and show your permit.
    Screw that, they don't need to know.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Treo, did you carry?
    Only reason I didn't is because I was spending the night at the zoo and had no way to conceal it when I bedded down. BTW the overnight was a waste The keepers were hostile because we were a church group and most of the animals were asleep.

Sponsored Links