the right way?...alittle help

This is a discussion on the right way?...alittle help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok I have a bersa 380 and nice little gun and I am going to sell it to a friend of my wife’s, she is ...

Thread: the right way?...alittle help

Question the right way?...alittle help

ok I have a bersa 380 and nice little gun and I am going to sell it to a friend of my wife’s, she is in the late 20's and lives with a roommate (female) in some apts. my question is what is the right way to sell this and cover my butt just in case, granted she works security part time and is licensed thought the state so I am not worried about her going postal with it. But I called the ATF and they can't help me or give guidance. So I ask you besides a bill of sale what can I do...and where can I get a good bill of sale at? THANKS everyone!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    You both live in texas so no real paperwork is necessairy , just hand write a bill of sale that for XX$ you sell her a pistol as described ( insert make , model , and serial ) and you should be covered , if your real serious about having an offical letter check with the local courthouse they can record all sorts of records for a fee .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    I recently sold two guns - both to out of state people. I sent the guns via UPS overnight to a Federal Firearm License holder. Prior to shipping the guns, they both faxed me a copy of their FFL. According to my research, a private citizen can ship a gun to an FFL. I did not have to have an FFL ship the gun for me. Both transactions went very smoothly but make sure you document everything - a bill of sale; emails; faxes, etc.

los
    Call a local Gun Shop to see if they can assist you with a Transfer of Ownership. The GS might elect to run an NCIC search even though she currently holds a license. If the record comes back clean, as it should, the firearm can/will be transfered to her. Record/History not clean,...you should'nt sell (simple Bill of Sale transaction) the firearm to her.

Have her flip the 20-30 buck charge.
    Last edited by los; June 22nd, 2006 at 04:43 PM.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Thanks for all the info, it is my first sell and CYA is priority one. the gun is only a year old with about 150 rounds in it. i purchesed it new and i have never used it other than the range so i am sure it is clean.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Kitt , i have traded and sold so many over the years its easy to forget how it felt when i started , NP if we can help glad to , of all the suggestions i would say run it thro a ffl , or record it at the courthouse as a contract are the two viable options , just make a call or two to see which works better for all partys concerned .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    If both of you take a quick fun trip to the nearest gun shop & do a transfer there...then you're completely out of any future loops.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Show me da money!!!

In Texas, it is pretty much a case of 'Show me the money'. There does not need to be any paperwork whatsoever. However, if you know that they are prohibited from possessing a weapon, then it is illegal.

I usually write up a bill of sale as described above anyway, just to show that it is no longer mine. I have the buyer sign it and I keep it. Remember, your friend might not 'go postal' with it, but she may sell it in the future in another private sale, without a bill of sale. If something happened involving that gun, the trail would end at you. this gives you something in your defence.

I always make two copies of a bill of sale listing the gun,model,serial etc. I list both our addresses and we both sign each copy and each get a copy to keep.

I think that way if the gun is ever stolen,resold or used in a crime and it comes back at me, I at least can point them to who I sold it to.

Walmart sells little receipt books for about $2, carbonless copies. If you really want to track things, get a log book, and list all your weapons, with photos, SN's and receipts. When you sell something, get their DL#. Some folks won't do that (I probably wouldn't, because of the personal info), but that is what an FFL would require.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    If both of you take a quick fun trip to the nearest gun shop & do a transfer there...then you're completely out of any future loops.
    That'd be my advice as well. It's not a matter of trusting HER but rather the problem of what could happen if SHE should ever sell it to someone else and it gets used illegally. In TN it isn't (or wasn't) req'd that we do a formal transfer of ownership and I've sold three guns to guys I worked with. I trust them but it still makes me nervous that BATF could come knocking on my door some night because of it. The grief it could cause down the line makes the $20 to $50 a gunshop will charge for a formal transfer more than worth it.
    Jack

VIP Member
    I'm going with the majority on this one. A handwritten bill of sale is good enough if that's what you are looking for. If you want your name off the gun, go to a gunshop with her and do the paperwork. Most of the pawnshops or gunshops around here charge $20 for the paperwork.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Links