How do you carry your extra magazine(s)?

This is a discussion on How do you carry your extra magazine(s)? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased my first holster for my first handgun. I'm wondering how to carry an extra magazine. Tossing it in a pocket doesn't seem ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry your extra magazine(s)?

How do you carry your extra magazine(s)?

I recently purchased my first holster for my first handgun. I'm wondering how to carry an extra magazine. Tossing it in a pocket doesn't seem like a wise choice to me; my Supertuck doesn't have an attached mag hostler either.

So what are others doing?

2. Remove Ads

Ten o'clock behind my cell phone, slugs forward, "mexican", at a backward angle.

cmb
    I carry a front pocket wallet usually in my cargo pocket, so I used an old front pocket wallet, tore the clip off, sewed up the hole a little and presto front pocket or back pocket mag carrier, if your back pockets are wide it wil turn over to the side but that is only in my suit pants and I almost always carry my mag in my weak side front pocket.

Another method which works for me is a bellyband cut down to go around my shin, if you wear pants alot this works, if not you will look silly!

Carrying an extra mag IWB is not easy for me, OWB there are a lot of good mag carriers...

Don't forget to get a BUG, that may be the best and fastest reload you can get!

VIP Member
    Open top magazine holder carried weak side.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

SinglePocketWS2 1.jpgUnwise or not, I carry my extra mag in my pocket using one of these.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Open top, bullet forward, vertical, double mag holder, weakside 8 o'clock.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

When carrying my G26, I carry a spare 10 rounder in my weak side front pocket. It isn't any bigger than a set of keys, and doesn't really print at all. It typically lays horizontal at the bottom of the pocket. I make sure to orient it so that the top round faces downward at the bottom inside corner of the pocket. The GAP floorplate with its extended nose really helps to get a grip on it to get it out of the pocket for a fast reload.

When carrying my fullsize 1911, I carry a spare 10 round Trip Research magazine in the same weak side front pocket, but in a vertical fashion. The longer 10 rounder won't turn over and around in the pocket like a single stack 8 rounder will. If I ever have to reach for a reload in the .45, might as well make it 10 rounds for extra insurance. If a gunfight gets deep enough with the .45 to have to reload, the last of my worries will be if the longer 10 round magazine sticks out the bottom of the grip.

I make sure I disassemble and clean the spare mags every couple of weeks to make sure pocket lint doesn't build up in them.

IWB or OWB dual magazine holder when belt carrying (Basically, if I'm carrying my firearm IWB, my mag pouch is also IWB, when OWB both handgun and mags are worn OWB), or dual magazine pouch on strong side of shoulder holster.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Front left pocket with no special holder. I practice mag changes like this and feel comfortable with it.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    either weak side front pocket, or strong side OWB open top kydex mag pouch
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I toss the extra in my back left hand pocket and I carry two others in the man purse. I will in time purchase a real mag carrier but I'm not in a rush to do so.

BTW, I have not had any feed issues with the one that gets tossed in the back pocket. The bullets might not be the prettiest to look at but they still fire without issues.

Depends. In winter, when I carry a G23 OWB, I use a single open top OWB mag carrier on my support side.

In summer, I usually pocket carry a G27 or LCP, in which case the extra mag goes in a weak side cargo pocket, My cargo shorts/pants have a separate slot behind the cargo pocket where the magazine stays upright. The mag is stored with the bullet part of the round forward in all cases. In some cases I carry the G27 IWB and may or may not carry an extra mag. I should probably look for an IWB mag carrier for those times.
    NRA Life Member

Open top magazine carrier on my weak side. I get a pouch made to match my holster from the same manufacturer when I order the holster.

If I carry one of the revolvers I use a strong side speedloader pouch. It holds a single speedloader or two moon clips. If I have a revolver I always carry a few Tuff Strips too. Usually in a pocket.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    SinglePocketWS2 1.jpgUnwise or not, I carry my extra mag in my pocket using one of these.
    In a pocket without something to secure it is what I mean. Actually, I think something like that's what I'm looking for if that is an 8rd 9mm Kahr mag in the picture.

Who is the maker?

Quote Originally Posted by yoyomeng View Post
    In a pocket without something to secure it is what I mean. Actually, I think something like that's what I'm looking for if that is an 8rd 9mm Kahr mag in the picture.

Who is the maker?
    R Grizzle Gunleather.

That's a photo off his webpage. I carry a G27 9 rd mag in mine.

http://www.rgrizzleleather.com/about.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page.http://www.rgrizzleleather.com/about.html
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links