Defensive Carry banner

How do you carry your extra magazine(s)?

7K views 60 replies 52 participants last post by  livewire 
#1 ·
I recently purchased my first holster for my first handgun. I'm wondering how to carry an extra magazine. Tossing it in a pocket doesn't seem like a wise choice to me; my Supertuck doesn't have an attached mag hostler either.

So what are others doing? :scruntiny:

#3 ·
I carry a front pocket wallet usually in my cargo pocket, so I used an old front pocket wallet, tore the clip off, sewed up the hole a little and presto front pocket or back pocket mag carrier, if your back pockets are wide it wil turn over to the side but that is only in my suit pants and I almost always carry my mag in my weak side front pocket.

Another method which works for me is a bellyband cut down to go around my shin, if you wear pants alot this works, if not you will look silly! :smile:

Carrying an extra mag IWB is not easy for me, OWB there are a lot of good mag carriers...

Don't forget to get a BUG, that may be the best and fastest reload you can get! :image035:

#6 ·
Open top, bullet forward, vertical, double mag holder, weakside 8 o'clock.

#7 ·
When carrying my G26, I carry a spare 10 rounder in my weak side front pocket. It isn't any bigger than a set of keys, and doesn't really print at all. It typically lays horizontal at the bottom of the pocket. I make sure to orient it so that the top round faces downward at the bottom inside corner of the pocket. The GAP floorplate with its extended nose really helps to get a grip on it to get it out of the pocket for a fast reload.

When carrying my fullsize 1911, I carry a spare 10 round Trip Research magazine in the same weak side front pocket, but in a vertical fashion. The longer 10 rounder won't turn over and around in the pocket like a single stack 8 rounder will. If I ever have to reach for a reload in the .45, might as well make it 10 rounds for extra insurance. If a gunfight gets deep enough with the .45 to have to reload, the last of my worries will be if the longer 10 round magazine sticks out the bottom of the grip.

I make sure I disassemble and clean the spare mags every couple of weeks to make sure pocket lint doesn't build up in them.

#8 ·
IWB or OWB dual magazine holder when belt carrying (Basically, if I'm carrying my firearm IWB, my mag pouch is also IWB, when OWB both handgun and mags are worn OWB), or dual magazine pouch on strong side of shoulder holster.

#11 ·
I toss the extra in my back left hand pocket and I carry two others in the man purse. I will in time purchase a real mag carrier but I'm not in a rush to do so.

BTW, I have not had any feed issues with the one that gets tossed in the back pocket. The bullets might not be the prettiest to look at but they still fire without issues.

#12 ·
Depends. In winter, when I carry a G23 OWB, I use a single open top OWB mag carrier on my support side.

In summer, I usually pocket carry a G27 or LCP, in which case the extra mag goes in a weak side cargo pocket, My cargo shorts/pants have a separate slot behind the cargo pocket where the magazine stays upright. The mag is stored with the bullet part of the round forward in all cases. In some cases I carry the G27 IWB and may or may not carry an extra mag. I should probably look for an IWB mag carrier for those times.

#13 ·
Open top magazine carrier on my weak side. I get a pouch made to match my holster from the same manufacturer when I order the holster.

If I carry one of the revolvers I use a strong side speedloader pouch. It holds a single speedloader or two moon clips. If I have a revolver I always carry a few Tuff Strips too. Usually in a pocket.

#16 ·
You know...to this day, I seldom carry a spare magazine on me, no mater what I'm carrying at the time.

#21 ·
I use the same thing and put either one mag of 9mm or one of .45 in it depending upon the Glock I take along (weak side).

If I'm going to Jax or Orlando, I definitely take my Glock-36 and my double mag paddle holster (weak side).

#19 ·
I carry two spares for my 19111, in an open top carrier with the bullets forward, right at about 7 o'clock. I ordered the mag carrier when I ordered my holster from Nate at UBG. Really since nothing is below your beltline, if you use an IWB holster and it is concealed well, the magazines will be too.

I've learned that keeping things the same between training and carry can help out a lot. Which is one reason I don't like just throwing a magazine in a pocket, you don't know if it is going to shift around in there, and be backwards when you pull it out. If you have something to keep it positioned correctly in the holster, then that is an option. But even then, have you tried to do a reload from your front pocket when kneeling or sitting, as you would likely be doing behind cover if you had to reload in a contact situation? Not the easiest thing to do, IMO.

#20 ·
Weak side, vary between single or double mag holster, bullets facing forward, between 8 and 9 o'clock

I always carry a spare mag...not because I might need it as much as my primary might fail and need a fresh mag

#25 ·
Nylon multi-tool belt holder for me too. If I'm pocket carrying, in the pocket if I bring an extra.

#26 ·
I carry my spares in an open top OWB carrier weak side, my favorite is from DGL and has the rear mag vertical but the front mag canted forward which makes it easier to grab one quickly. I prefer belt loops rather than snap on as they seem to conform to your body better and hold in tighter and regardless of how I carry my pistol I always carry my mags OWB so that I don't have to get ridiculously oversized jeans to fit everything in there (especially with double-stack mags). When I'm carrying my J-frame it is always pocket carry, if it is in a jacket pocket a speed strip goes in the weak side jacket pocket but usually I carry the 442 in my front hip pocket of cargo shorts, as I don't like having a speed strip in the same pocket as anything else they go in a smaller cargo pocket on the weak side.

#28 ·
My 8 rounder for my 1911 stays in a knife pouch nestled against a MagLite in it's factory pouch at 8:00. A knife next to a flashlight looks fairly innocent. However, 2 knife pouches next to each other looks an aweful lot like a mag pouch. If I pocket carry my little double-stack 9MM, the extra mag just gets dropped in my pocket. I haven't figured out how to carry that one conceiled in plain sight yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.