Does Anyone Carry a Weapon with a Tactical Light Attached?

This is a discussion on Does Anyone Carry a Weapon with a Tactical Light Attached? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello fellow Carriers, Has or does anyone out there conceal carry there handguns in a holster with a tactical light? I normally carry my Glock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Carry a Weapon with a Tactical Light Attached?

Question Does Anyone Carry a Weapon with a Tactical Light Attached?

Hello fellow Carriers,
    Has or does anyone out there conceal carry there handguns in a holster with a tactical light? I normally carry my Glock 27 inside the waist band in my blade-tech ultimate concealment holster but after doing some reading I came across a statistic conjured by an FBI study that states that 80% of the times that one of there agents is forced to draw there weapon they are in a zero light or dimly lighted environment. This stat got me thinking and it makes perfect since, its very probable that when you are forced to draw your weapon it could be at night or in a dimly lit alley, parking garage, subway, ect. So I have decided to upgrade my arsenal. I recently purchased a Glock 23 and a Streamlight TLR-3 compact weapon light. I also ordered a Phantom Holster to carry them in. I just wanted to know, is there anyone else out there that carries a weapon with a light attached to it? How do you like to carry it? Also, is there anyone else out there that has had a incident in which the light came in handy?

2. Remove Ads

First off welcome to DC. You will learn a lot here. While it may seem like a good idea to attach a light to your firearm, there is a problem with it. When you have a light attached then your only option is to point a loaded firearm at everything you look at, which could mean an innocent bystandard. I think most people recommend a seperate handheld light.

I like to keep my flashlight seperate from my gun when I CCW. That's because I like to be able to use my flashlight without drawing my firearm. I usually carry a Quark 123 or a Quark Preon I.

I have a Streamlight TLR-3 on my Glock 19 for a home defense gun though. You also may want to thoroughly test your Glock 23 with the rail attachment on. There have been numerous problems with failure to feeds, jams, etc. when a Glock .40 is used with an attachment. You can find a lot of information online.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

I prefer having a light separate from my firearm. I use my SureFire for other things, and I always have it on my person. I would dislike having to pull my Glock to find my dropped glasses in a movie theater.
    One may also find it a bit difficult to fine the correct holster for the firearm/light combo.OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

[QUOTE]I have a Streamlight TLR-3 on my Glock 19 for a home defense gun though. You also may want to thoroughly test your Glock 23 with the rail attachment on. There have been numerous problems with failure to feeds, jams, etc. when a Glock .40 is used with an attachment. You can find a lot of information online./QUOTE]

do you have a link to any of this info?

If I ever have to go through the experience of a home invasion I hope the BG has a light on his gun. Gives me a real good aiming point in the dark and makes the decision for me as who to shoot first! I wouldn't want it the other way around!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ...I prefer having a light separate from my firearm...I would dislike having to pull my Glock to find...
    As others have stated, but I like the way retsupt99 put it. In addition, like to keep my CC as CC as possible. Adding a light would in theory add to the print.
    Last edited by Thanis; August 2nd, 2010 at 04:55 PM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    If I ever have to go through the experience of a home invasion I hope the BG has a light on his gun. Gives me a real good aiming point in the dark and makes the decision for me as who to shoot first! I wouldn't want it the other way around!
    Try pointing the unattached light at yourself after your eyes have been used to the dark for an hour or so. Trust me, it's more than a little blinding and disorienting. It is even like that during the day in a house. Yeah they may instinct fire at the light, but they may just do that if they see your silhouette anyway. I'll take the light attached to help with my accuracy. The faster he goes down the less time to shoot at me.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I've got a light mounted to my shotgun for home defense. But when it comes to carrying I prefer a separate light.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

I carry with a handmade holster:

Works great. I carry for the same reasons that you do. Not to mention that I like having options; I also carry a separate tactical flashlight as well.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Administrator
    I just wanted to point out that a weapon light and flash light are two different tools for different tasks. A weapon light does not replace a flashlight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Exactly. If you carry a WML you need to have a SEPARATE flashlight. I choose to do like others and carry a flashlight in a separate pocket when carrying. At home I have a Surefire x200 mounted to my 23 for HD. Right next to it is a Surefire E1L. The flashlight is for searching, and "general" light tasks. The WML is to light up your target. Both take extreme practice for transitions. I do house navigation drills occasionally when home alone with an empty gun, to practice transition from handheld light to WML.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    So are saying that you'd prefer to shoot in the general direction of an unseen and unidentified "intruder" rather than know what you are shooting at?

I have a TLR-1 on my Carry G-19 and a seperate Pocket Light for illumination without turning on or drawing the gun mounted light. I am also transitioning to a Red Dot Sight on my G-19 and learning how to use it in low light. A few hundred rounds later I will feel better.
    Last edited by Blue Thunder; August 3rd, 2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by N4AOF View Post
    So are saying that you'd prefer to shoot in the general direction of an unseen and unidentified "intruder" rather than know what you are shooting at?
    The only people who would belong in my house at night know I have an alarm and that I am armed. They wouldn't walk in with a flashlight after breaking down the door. My wife would be behind me in the bedroom. Would I shoot an "Intruder" who has just knocked down my door without a formal introduction to him?

You and I live by entirely different philosophies. I don't have to even think about that question. Trijicon sight on the Mossberg 500A would be placed about 12" and left below the light.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links