Double Snub carry combo

Double Snub carry combo

This is a discussion on Double Snub carry combo within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've recently found myself carrying My Ruger SP101 2.25bbl .357 Magnum as primary and my S&W 442 38+P as a BUG. One of the benefits ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Double Snub carry combo

Double Snub carry combo

I've recently found myself carrying My Ruger SP101 2.25bbl .357 Magnum as primary and my S&W 442 38+P as a BUG. One of the benefits of this combination is I can toss 2 speed strips loaded with 38+P in my pocket and they're good in either weapon. I really like that versatility of my extra carry ammo being compatible with both the primary and back-up.

I have 3 9mms (small, medium, and large) and a XD40sc that I carry at times as well, but usually always carry the 442 as a back-up and in the summer carry it as my only CCW a lot too. I got a new OWB holster for my SP101, so I've been carrying it a lot lately...I tossed the 442 in my weak side pocket and a speed strip in each pocket and was good to go.

Anyone else do anything similar or have any thoughts on this set-up?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

The fact that you can use the same ammo seems good, but I fail to see the need for two revolvers. Not too much can go wrong with the revolver (not like a semi), although it can happen. I'd just carry extra .357 ammo.
    We all have different carry habits, and if it works for you, that's all that matters. By the way, I have a newly purchased Ruger SP101 (3"), and that revolver is a tank.
    Enjoy your set-up...you asked, I shared.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hey Bug,

Don't ever overlook those snubbies. I sometimes carry my 642 in a thin Kydex holster in my front pocket in hot weather. My Glock 27 is too big (I think) for me to pocket carry.

The 642 is my car pistol, inside my middle dash compartment for easy access.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Thanks ret. The SP101 is a super firearm. It's quickly becoming one of my all time favorites. I wanted the 3" version, but when I traded-in my rifle I had to choose from what was in stock. The 2.25 has worked out fine. I guess my thoughts in carrying 2 are with only 5 shots the second is a faster re-load and I carry on each side in case something happens and I can't get to one side or the other. I don't carry 2 very often, but on the occasions I do this set-up seemed to offer some advantages. There are also some drawbacks, but everything is a comprimise of some sort or another. I usually carry the XD40sc, but the snubbies are hard for me to resist and have been getting the nod a lot lately.

Hey Roy!!! The Snubs are definitely feeling the love, especially as hot as it's been lately. Much cooler and easier to carry in a pocket. We need to get together and go shooting again. I need to keep up my snub skills. We need to plan an outing with the guys down here at our buddy's farm and blast those bowling pins you gave us. I just finished my tactical shotgun and am itching to try it out. I'll take some pics and post in the long gun thread. My glasses frames broke yesterday, so I won't be doing much for a couple of days...I can't see squat. I found a couple packs of old contact lenses and am wearing them until I get some new glasses, but they're not optimal...the left one won't stay where it's supposed to. Good thing I shoot right handed. I knew there was a reason I quit wearing contacts. Note to self: get spare set of glasses.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Anyone else do anything similar or have any thoughts on this set-up?
    You're not odd or anything, if that's what you mean.

Seriously, it was (and still is with some) a very common practice to carry 2 revolvers when revolvers ruled the roost, so to speak. If fact, the term "New York Reload" originated with a man by the name of Chic Gaylord back in the 1950's. He had a shop in New York city and his clientele was a very diverse crowd, Coppers, Spooks, Narc's, private citizens etc., he even came up with a single holster that carried 2 revolvers, currently being produced by BELL CHARTER OAK. http://bellcharteroakholsters.com/index.htm

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Bug, let me know when you get your new eyes and I'll bring some guns up (get Jeff) and we'll shoot some pins.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

I don't think it's any different then carrying 1 gun and a backup. A lot of people that carry a bug carry 2 autos so why not 2 wheel guns? When I buy a SP101 if I carry it I will likely carry my ruger LCP as back up until I get used to only having 5 rounds on tap.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Ex Member
    Sometimes the one at the top of my avatar goes in the pocket, sometimes the bottom one does. Odd one goes in ankle holster.:):)

Great holster

Love the double snub holster! Wasn't familiar with that company.
    I'm a snub fan--2 Detective specials, Chief, 340pd, LCR, Model 10, Model 34--my 2 D specials need one of those holsters.
    Thanks for the info OD!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldon Hickey View Post
    Wasn't familiar with that company.
    B.E. Lewis, owner of BELL CHARTER OAK, was a close friend of the late Chic Gaylord, and promised Chic he would continue producing his holsters.
    I'm a snub fan--2 Detective specials, Chief, 340pd, LCR, Model 10, Model 34--my 2 D specials need one of those holsters.
    Thanks for the info OD!
    I'm a big fan of the snubbies myself, and you're quite welcome Sir.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    It is fun to mix and match....we all do it to an extent...I carry two snubs sometimes, and also carry a Glock 19 and a snub.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

I'm assuming the double snub holster was designed for SOB carry. That's a super cool set-up. I'd love to have one (never seen one before). I knew back in the day it was common for LEOs to carry a second revolver (often a snub) as a quick re-load (aka new york re-load) to their typical full-size service revolver. With the proliferation of semi-autos, the practice of carrying two revolvers (especially two snubs) is probably all but extinct. I have numerous semi-autos, but revolvers are still my favorite. When choosing to carry a revolver, double the fun with compatible calibers...there's still a lot of merit to the old timey practice. Thanks for all of the feedback and info. Stay safe.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'm assuming the double snub holster was designed for SOB carry.
    It very well could be used as a S.O.B. holster, Gaylord didn't actually intended it as an S.O.B. rig back then though, the intent was to be worn strong side at the curvature of the hip, with one revolver (or pistol) being drawn strong side "cavalry" (or off hand cross-draw) while the other was a conventional strong side draw.

I've actually thought about getting a third LCP (wife and I each have one) and carrying one in each pocket. Like BugDude says, it solves the ambidextrous access issue of pocket carry quite nicely, and a "NY reload" is the fastest reload there is.

I've done this with cargo shorts (when my wife didn't want to carry her LCP), since the shorts have enough pockets for everything else (wallet, keys, etc). The issue is figuring out a way to do it in business attire - I hate carrying my wallet (or anything else) in the rear pocket, so one front pocket is taken up by my wallet and keys. I don't always keep my suit coat on, so I can't really keep my wallet there either.

Grrrr! Business attire sucks!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links