Colorado carry questions

Colorado carry questions

This is a discussion on Colorado carry questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to be travelling to Telluride, Colorado next week for a wedding. I know that my UT permit is good there..resident and we honor ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado carry questions

Colorado carry questions

I'm going to be travelling to Telluride, Colorado next week for a wedding. I know that my UT permit is good there..resident and we honor theirs. I've been searching DC and using my Google-Fu to try to answer my questions. I just want to be sure that I research enough to carry comfortably and not worry about breaking any laws that might differ from my own state, Utah. I've answered most of my own questions but would like to hear from some of you more familiar with Colorado than myself on a few unanswered questions.

1. Do "no firearms/30.06" signs on private property mean anything in Colorado?

2. Can a hotel that's posted prohibit me from bringing it into my room?
    - I don't know whether mine is or not...nothing on the website and I don't want to call and have them places signs up as a result.

3. Can I CC while having dinner in a restaruant that serves alcohol? (I think yes, but want to confirm)

4. Are there any laws regarding "printing"?

5. Do I have to "inform" an LEO that I'm carrying during a traffic stop?

6. Anything that would be unique to Colorado, or even specifically Telluride that you think might be relevant

Many thanks in advance to those of you who are able to help!

Here is a link to the Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Unit. It has links to all of the applicable laws/statutes that will answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    I'm going to be travelling to Telluride, Colorado next week for a wedding. I know that my UT permit is good there..resident and we honor theirs. I've been searching DC and using my Google-Fu to try to answer my questions. I just want to be sure that I research enough to carry comfortably and not worry about breaking any laws that might differ from my own state, Utah. I've answered most of my own questions but would like to hear from some of you more familiar with Colorado than myself on a few unanswered questions.

1. Do "no firearms/30.06" signs on private property mean anything in Colorado?

2. Can a hotel that's posted prohibit me from bringing it into my room?
    - I don't know whether mine is or not...nothing on the website and I don't want to call and have them places signs up as a result.

3. Can I CC while having dinner in a restaruant that serves alcohol? (I think yes, but want to confirm)

4. Are there any laws regarding "printing"?

5. Do I have to "inform" an LEO that I'm carrying during a traffic stop?

6. Anything that would be unique to Colorado, or even specifically Telluride that you think might be relevant

Many thanks in advance to those of you who are able to help!
    Hey there, Colorado resident, on day 54 of my possibly 90-day wait for my permit. As a result, I have been actively researching applicable CCW law for some time now in preparation. I will answer what I can.

1. At the very least, you can be kicked out of an establishment, as is the case with the mall where I live. I hear conflicting things about whether any legal action could be taken against you, but it seems doubtful.

2. Not really sure, but I feel that my answer to 1 applies here as well.

3. Yes you can, but do not drink anything yourself.

4. Not specifically. Furthermore, open carry is legal, although that is only the case because there is no law against it. Therefore, a little printing/inadvertent exposure of weapon is not a problem. I don't really advise OC, only because most people don't know it's legal, and may freak out.

5. You do not have to inform. However, my thought is that it helps establish you as a "good guy" and a non-threat if you do inform. Your choice.

6. I haven't been to Telluride for a long time, but I imagine its a pretty gun-friendly culture. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you are in Denver for any reason, some laws are more restrictive there, ie, magazine capacity is limited to 20 for some firearms.

Good luck, and have fun in our great state.

this is just hearsay, but telluride is actually very unfriendly towards guns. OC is probably a pretty bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    this is just hearsay, but telluride is actually very unfriendly towards guns. OC is probably a pretty bad idea.
    Over the years Telluride has morphed into a real ski town and tourist destination and as such draws people from all over, many of them no doubt anti gun. It's not the same little town where Butch Cassidy robbed the San Miguel Valley Bank in the late 1800s. I've not seen anything posted in Telluride and I carry there when I go, concealed of course.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I know Telluride has a few "hippies" as I've been told, espcially this particular weekend with the music festival going on. I'm very used to the anti-gun mentality and the ski town "hippies" as I live in Park City, UT...another full blown ski town. I would never consider OC'ing, I'm always concealed. Really I don't expect to be carrying much in town, we'll be out in the mountains doing some 4-wheeling and exploring when not at the wedding events. When at the wedding....well.....there will be some drinking and I'm planning on locking up the pistol then.

I guess my main concern, and grey area still, is whether or not in Colorado my hotel room is an extension of my home? Simply by virtue that I am a paying tenant.

I seriously doubt the hotel is posted....and concealed is always concealed with me.

REACT, that was a helpful link. Thanks. I'm guessing from all I read that a hotel is the same as any private property. No sign = no worries. Sign = concealed

Retired Colorado cop here. The big "no no's" are carrying on school grounds, in a courhouse, in most government buildings, etc.

The person controlling a property (store manager, owner, etc) can establish any rules they wish, with which you must comply or leave the premises when requested, otherwise you may face a misdemeanor trespassing charge.

Before I retired I always appreciated it when someone I had reason to deal with to a point of requiring ID if they simply handed me their concealed weapons permit with their driver's license, etc. Most cops know that bad guys don't get permits, can't pass the background investigations, etc. However, there are a few anti-gun cops that may choose to give you some hoops to jump through, so use your discretion.

No laws regarding "printing" but that should never be a big issue so long as you have good equipment and adequate cover garments.

It used to be a misdemeanor violation of the state liquor code to possess any dangerous or deadly weapon on licensed premises. That has been modified since passage of the current CCW statute. Possession of a firearm while under the influence is unlawful under just about any circumstances.

Open carry is legal in most cities and counties (Denver is one notable exception) but always draws unwanted attention and frequently results in a "man with a gun" call. I generally advise against open carry for that reason; it takes cops away from other duties with a lot of unnecessary tension for all involved. With no other information than "man with a gun" you can expect many cops to treat it as a hot-shot call and heavy-handed responses can occur.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

cj
    Already a little late to the party, and others have posted the links I tend to use, but here's my stab:

1. To me, they mean don't print or let anyone know. I've found a few signs here and there, but they're inconsistent, and most are very easy to miss. If discovered and asked, I'd politely apologize and leave.

2. As you've found, hotels (and tents, cars, etc.) are considered an extension of your home. I've never had a problem with this.

3. Yes. My big problem is living near the New Mexico border and the non-obvious way that many of their restaurants serve alcohol (was in a place once that, after being there almost an hour, I finally noticed that they had a little 2 stool bar in the back). You'll be far enough away that I doubt you'd be crossing the border.

4. None that I'm aware of.

5. No. Although I'm a little fuzzy on the implications...my only traffic stop, it took him a really long time to get my information back, and I'm not sure if it was because of the CCW or not. He informed me that my name had caused problems and to mention that if I was ever stopped again, but he never said anything about weapons.

6. Can't recall much about my only visit there, except it was really uncomfortably hot and I was cranky with the heat and all the tourists around. You're also in a box canyon, so there's one path in and out, and if there's construction or a problem, expect a nice long delay.

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    You're also in a box canyon, so there's one path in and out......
    Not in my vehicle There are some really rough moutain passes going out of there.....and I'm looking forward to them. Thanks for your reply!

Are there any requirements for the posting of business's? I travel to Co. a lot to fish, ski and visit family and have yet to see any standard. In Ks, its one sign and the AG has stated where it has to be placed. Going again in one week, for a 10 day fishing trip.

In answer to questions:
    1. No & Yes. If you are concealed, who knows? If you are discovered to have a firearm, you can be asked to leave, and a charge of trespassing if you don't leave. No State charge against you for carrying, only the trespassing charge.
    2. Same as above. Although I doubt it would happen.
    3. Yes, but you had better not be drinking alcohol, be the designated driver and your OK. Just keep it concealed.
    4. No, just keep it well concealed.
    5. NO. I have learned that it is likely that CO citizens who have CC Permits are in the database as "Persons of Interest." That might have been cj's problem at his only traffic stop.
    6. Kind of a "Lib Town" like Boulder. KEEP IT CONCEALED.
    I carry everywhere in CO except the few places I cannot, as mentioned earlier, Courthouses, Public Schools, Govt. offices where posted. I keep it concealed and I never have a problem.

To ks kid:
    There are no requirements for businesses to post.
    The state doesn't seem to care about CC'ing in private businesses in CO, only trespassing. It's up to the business owner.

That help?
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Thanks elkhunter! I find the "persons of interest" thing a bit strange. Why would they do that? Seems it would put LEO's on alert unnecessarily when dealing with a permit holder. Glad mine is a UT CFP and I'm not likely in their system labeled as such.

I'm kinda wishin I had a pocket pistol like a Sig238 for this trip when in town. The CBOB is a bit chunky with a t-shirt.

When you are not in town you can open carry with no worrys.
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links