Washington State- carry in a park?

This is a discussion on Washington State- carry in a park? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently moved to Woodinville, WA and was taking a walk in a park there today (by the Sammamish greenway) when I noticed signs posted with ...

Thread: Washington State- carry in a park?

Washington State- carry in a park?

Recently moved to Woodinville, WA and was taking a walk in a park there today (by the Sammamish greenway) when I noticed signs posted with rules of the park. The signs clearly stated that possession of firearms was prohibited in the park and cited RCW 9.41.

I am having a hard time finding anything in RCW 9.41 that seems to relate directly to carry in a city park (esp. for those who carry concealed and have a Washington Concealed Pistol License.) I also remember quite clearly that Seattle tried to ban guns from parks (even when concealed and licensed to do so) and was told plainly by the Washington Attorney General that this ban was unenforcable given the state's preemption laws.

Given this context I'm pretty sure these signs are old or bogus and that the prohibition in firearms in the park cannot legally be enforced in general and are irrelevant to me as a permit holder- can anyone confirm/deny this for me?

2. Remove Ads

IANAL
    From what I read the signs should hold no weight unless they are parks located on school grounds. Other than that I don't think it should be a problem. But as always you might want to talk to a local lawyer, its always good to CYA.
    JMO

VIP Member
    Unless that park fits one of the other exemptions, it is perfectly legal to carry there.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Yes, it is legal to carry there. The sign is wrong. State preemption overrules the sign. You should write a letter to the local council and make them aware of this problem.

Washington still has the outdoor music festival/concert law but if no event like that is happening it is legal to carry in the park.

Thanks guys. I have a feeling the signs may date back to an era when RCW 9.41 actually stated something about prohibiting firearms in parks. I'll check in with the local authorities.

Sammamish Greenway passes through three cities as well as King County, the only time you would have a problem would be a concert at one of the Wineries. Use to do a lot of shooting out there when I was a kid, not as populated in the dark ages though.

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post
    Recently moved to Woodinville, WA
    Nice area, enjoy...I moved from Woodinville 2.5 yrs ago. Bear Creek/Mink Rd area. I miss the PCC Market.

Didnt own a gun while I lived there tho.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    here is the State preemption law:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.290

RCW 9.41.290
    State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.
    The park sign you noticed is more restrictive than State law so it is not valid. Assuming you were otherwise legal, then you are fine.

Writing a kind letter pointing out the discrepancy might help get the sign removed. It worked in Liberty Lake (eastern WA) a few years ago.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

The other posters are correct, it is legal to carry in the Parks ( local, Co. & St.) BUT just a couple of thoughts.

1. As you know, over the 4th, we had a "shoot out" @ Sammamish St. Pk.
    Both the "public & the LEOs are a "bit edgy" about guns in the Parks.
    2. IMHO, BE DISCRETE. "Flaunting" you gun may. lead to a "Hassle"

The Parks & other recreational opportunities are GREAT in the area ( Parks, Bike/hiking trails, Water ways etc,etc.) ENJOY

FYI, I was raised in Bellevue, Rode , as a LEO, out of the "old Marymoor Park KCSD precinct/holding facility ( mid 60s ++++++) & have spent MANY enjoyable hours taking advantage of what is available in the area.I always have carried, but as I said, I am discrete.
    One further note. Be RESPECTFUL of the Business' "postings. You may not agree with them ( including the legality) but be respectful ( it aint worth the hassle, IMHO )

Puffer

Thank you guys for the clarity. I'll consider writing the council a letter. Always concealed, always discrete, always legal.

Links