A near insuperable problem

This is a discussion on A near insuperable problem within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cell phones - signal and lack of it!! So often we discuss in threads about ''calling in'' events - but you know - I can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A near insuperable problem

Assistant Administrator

A near insuperable problem

Cell phones - signal and lack of it!! So often we discuss in threads about ''calling in'' events - but you know - I can think of loadsa places I can be round here and get near zero signal. It's crazy - and of course hardly helped by mountains and ridges all over.

For those folks in towns and cities - not too bad but live semi rural as I do - it's grim. One mountain top is about 4 miles away - and I can look and see a mast but - my area down in the plains below if you will - minimal signal. It's time things improved.

Despite any wish to ''call in'' in an emergency, I am afraid I and probably many others may not have that luxury - unless we quickly find a land line nearby. It sucks
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Yep - our signal here in TX is weak most of the time. In CO, in the mountains, where we spend too little time, its a lot worse.

Smoke signals anyone?

Anyone here have shortwave?

Lead Moderator
    While calling for help is a nice luxury, we carry so we can be self reliant. I keep tools and ect in the truck too, so I can atleast attempt to fix problems.
    I consider the cell phone as more of a event recorder, if I have time to call 911.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

No signal! But then how are the antis supposed stop crime without their greatest weapon the cell phone!
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    Yep - our signal here in TX is weak most of the time. In CO, in the mountains, where we spend too little time, its a lot worse.

Smoke signals anyone?

no shortwave here, but do have amateur radio license. Always have a 2 meter, 70 cm and 6 meter in the car. The advantages are you can call into a "repeater" which sends your sig farther out there. Most area repeaters here in OKC area can reach out there at least 30-40 miles, some even 70-80 miles, depending on height of antenna, terrain, etc.
    I have talked to people 100+ miles without the repeater, using simplex with an amplifier.

Anyone that is interested in Ham radio should look into their local area for radio news because this weekend all (or most) of the U.S.A. will be participating in field day, where they will setup a station outside with emergency power, portable antennas and different radios. The general public is welcome to come see what its all about and they will even let you try out the radios (supervised, I'm sure)

I have been a Ham for 4 years now and I enjoy it! (besides, I get the police, emergency freqs on my radios too, a plus!)
    one last note, on some repeaters they have what is called an autopatch, which will let you call a landline via your radio!
    RKBA

John

Chris you need one of them Big honking satellite phone's

You could always move down here to south florida where the tallest thing to block signals, other than the buildings, are the landfills. Otherwise it is flat, flat, and flat. I got a signal last weekend in the middle of Big Cypress (Everglades).

Quote Originally Posted by RdRaceWannabe
    No signal! But then how are the antis supposed stop crime without their greatest weapon the cell phone!
    By hitting them with it of course! Just like in the commercial where one guy drills the other guy off the head with his cell phone in the locker room claiming it's the theft deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock

Smoke signals anyone?

Well, yes :)

Been listening to shortwave radio since I was 10 years old, and just got my ham license last summer - a month or two before my CCW permit.

Lead Moderator
    One of the things I did was make sure that my cell phone would roam on both analog and digital systems. A lot of the newer phones will only do digital now. But, of course even that doesn't garantee a signal when you need it....... Just ups the odds!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

The question really is: what do you see as the purpose of 911? Pre-emptively, if you are somewhere beyond signal, you're wasting time calling, anyhow. An assault would be over, a fire would have cooked you, and Aunt Edna will be approaching room temp after choking, if you are waiting on help. Any and all of these situations can, and should be, dealt with by the Responsible Individual On-Scene-YOU.

911 is calling the clean-up crew. Yes, absolutely, you have the legal obligation to report an incident at the soonest opportunity. "Opportunity" is the key word.

Unless you require direction(and expecting this is being REALLY optimistic, in many cases), 911 is a post-incident call.

Look on the bright side.... Without cell phone service, you just can't have any BG's surviving to testify against you. Bummer.

Stop or I'll . . .

Come on, now. Cell phones are a very powerful part of the arsenal. Don't forget the deterent factor, the sheer intimidation, of quick drawing your camera phone and saying, "Stop or I'll shoot!" Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey, Moe! Hey, Moe!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

30 years in Amateur Radio

AB6CE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    The question really is: what do you see as the purpose of 911? Pre-emptively, if you are somewhere beyond signal, you're wasting time calling, anyhow. An assault would be over, a fire would have cooked you, and Aunt Edna will be approaching room temp after choking, if you are waiting on help. Any and all of these situations can, and should be, dealt with by the Responsible Individual On-Scene-YOU.

911 is calling the clean-up crew. Yes, absolutely, you have the legal obligation to report an incident at the soonest opportunity. "Opportunity" is the key word.

Unless you require direction(and expecting this is being REALLY optimistic, in many cases), 911 is a post-incident call.
    Agree. If you are in an area with no signal, chances are high hat you are a long way from help. Might as well send a letter for what good it will do!

Besides, cell phones are probably on the liberals list of things to ban anyway. Too many people driving and dialling....

Hey, if it saves just one liberal.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links