NY question

This is a discussion on NY question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jmac00 well they didn't do either with my permit. When I called the officer that was "doing permits" he asked who the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY question

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    well they didn't do either with my permit. When I called the officer that was "doing permits" he asked who the heck I was, he never heard of me and he said he has not seen any paper work on me. He asked me to call him back in 10 minutes. So i did and I said "you know this violates state law" he said "he would run it over to the judge in the morning". Two days later the the county clerk called me and said I could come pick up my permit at my convenience and that I should walk right to the front of the line when I get to the clerks office. There had to be 30 or 40 people in line to get licenses/building permits/and gun permits. When I walked to the front of the line, I saw a lot of angry people, LOL. The nice lady behind the counter asked me to return to the end of the line, but when I said the county clerk told me to come to the front of the line. She asked if I was Jeff, I said yes, she said wait right there, I'll get the county clerk. Margret DeFransico brought me my permit, handled all the fees and stuff and said have a nice day LOL
    Sounds like they just dropped the ball on your permit, not that they were intentionally holding on to it for the max time.

2. Remove Ads

Well, I just had a sheriff come to my work and interview me there. The interview itself went smoothly and he said he would recommend that I receive my permit. However, he also said that he had been to my house about fifteen times and that when he called my number he got a "straight to voicemail" message saying my voicemail inbox is full. I checked my voicemail, my voicemail inbox is empty and someone is almost always home at my house so...well, draw your own conclusions. Anyways, there was also mention of pressure from higher up the food chain to get my paper work done s good news there, sorry about the lengthy post, just really relieved to have finally taken the next step towards getting my permit. Hopefully I won't be waiting much longer.
    "Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
    ~Thomas Jefferson
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security."
    ~ Norman Vincent Peale

Congrats, I'm hoping to get a call soon here.

Here in Rockland County it takes about 4 months. The fellow in the Clerks office is very helpful and will see things get done properly.

In Erie County took me a long time 3 years ago, but several have told me they now use electronic fingerprinting and the wait is less than 6 mos. This is not verified so i don't know for sure, but apparently inked fingerprints must take a long time.

I always heard Niagara County was pretty quick and had no County-added restrictions, though these are county ordinances and not NY State Gun Law - and In Erie, usually after a year if there's a restriction - with a written request centered on need for unrestricted carry you usually get it. I had a restriction for "business carry", applied one year later for unrestricted and was given it in about 2 weeks.

Interesting to read about the "restricted" permits in NYS. I think almost all permits in Chautauqua County are unrestricted from the start. It is really strange how different everyone is in this state.

I know that Niagara county used to issue only unrestricted permits as well. I am hoping this is still true.
    ~Thomas Jefferson
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security."
    ~ Norman Vincent Peale

Quote Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
    Interesting to read about the "restricted" permits in NYS. I think almost all permits in Chautauqua County are unrestricted from the start. It is really strange how different everyone is in this state.
    Onondaga (Syracuse) issues a lot of restricted permits. I have several friends who live in Onondaga county and they all have "Restricted" permits.

If I call the pistol permit office, does anyone know if they would be able to inform me of the status of my application?
    ~Thomas Jefferson
    ~ Norman Vincent Peale

Quote Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
    If I call the pistol permit office, does anyone know if they would be able to inform me of the status of my application?
    In this county they are very helpful in finding the status of your permit. Hopefully you will get the same cooperation.

update

I got my letter today saying I have been approved for my full carry permit. I'll be picking it up on monday. I am very happy to say the least.
    ~Thomas Jefferson
    ~ Norman Vincent Peale

I dont know jack about NY state permits, but I 'am glad you finally got yours!!! Monica must be super good, her July 2010 orders were filled in just two minutes!
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Quote Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
    I got my letter today saying I have been approved for my full carry permit. I'll be picking it up on monday. I am very happy to say the least.
    cool, try not to have a AD on your first day
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

COLUMBIA/GREEN counties still can get some Non Restricted permits if you get the right Judge, in a good mood.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links