NY question

NY question

This is a discussion on NY question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Niagara county, NY and applied for my permit several months ago. I am now enduring the absurd waiting period and would just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY question

NY question

I live in Niagara county, NY and applied for my permit several months ago. I am now enduring the absurd waiting period and would just like to hear from anyone who has any info about or experience with applying for a permit in Niagara county, NY. Also, does anyone have any opinions or experience with holsters by Monica Kuehn? Particularly her Bodhi IWB model. Thank you in advance.
    "Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
    ~Thomas Jefferson
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security."
    ~ Norman Vincent Peale

Welcome to the forum. NYS has long - i mean really long wait times. It varies by county and town. I can only speak to Erie county - since that's where I applied. It took a month to make it from erie county to cheektowaga. it sat in cheektowaga for 3 months, before they started to call my references. That took another week. Then another week back to the county. It's sitting on a judges desk at the moment. I'm hoping for September, and will be pleasantly surprised with anything sooner. NYS in Erie county I was told typically takes >1 year. Therefore, at 5 months, I'm moving fast.

Down in Ulster County, its about 6 months. You may have that holster first, and custom holsters take a long time.

Distinguished Member
    I've heard good things about Monica's holsters but have no experience with them myself.

NY varies by county. I managed to get mine in Westchester 3 months after the day I turned in the paperwork, but I had to make the appointment 2 months in advance, so 5mos total.

Unsure about Niagara County. It took me about 7 months in Erie County but mine was fast tracked through my department
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Well, I'm going on six months of waiting here and can't seem to get an appointment for my interview. Hopefully, I'll be going to the permit department again today to try to resolve things finally.
    ~Thomas Jefferson
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security."
    ~ Norman Vincent Peale

I'm over in Monroe and live within the city limits of Rochester. I've been waiting about a month now. From what I have heard it will be about a year before anything gets back to me.

TommyP- is there a site you can go to track permits or are you just calling to get updates?

Here in Chautauqua County we are pretty lucky as NYS goes. My wait from start to finish was about 6 weeks. My wife's took about 8 but they lost some paperwork during the background check. I guess we are better off over here in WNY then on the east side of the state. Good luck and hope the process doesn't take too long.

Just politely called. I heard it helped keep focus on your permit and "move it along". Whether or not that was the case is another story. Called erie county, then just called the town cops and asked for the department.

I didn't apply in Niagara county but did apply in Ontario and had my permit transferred over to Livingston when I moved a few months ago. I'm at 9 months right now, I submitted my application in December 2009.

Just be patient, I came within a hair of not being able to get a permit until 2012 because I moved while my application was "in process."

NY is supposed to take 6 months at the most.... Some counties will take less time, but most will use the full 6 mos to make you wait. From what I was told 6 months are as long as the state is supposed to take. If they take longer there may be a problem with your permit and you need to follow up on it.

I think if you check, it's against the state constitution to go beyond 6 months. If "they" go beyond the 6 month limit, "they" are in violation of state law.

I applied for my permit in Feb of '94, 9 months later I ran into Fred (from American Sportsman) and told him about my woes. He told me to call them up and insist on knowing the status of my application. (Long story--short) I had my permit in 48 hours after making that call.

If you know anyone that is a lawyer, I would have a conversation with him/her and see if they can help "move things along"

If anyone wants to hear my l-o-n-g story about my permit, I type it out.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    I think if you check, it's against the state constitution to go beyond 6 months. If "they" go beyond the 6 month limit, "they" are in violation of state law.
    The law is they should issue the permit within 6 months, if for some reason it's taking longer than 6 months they are required to send you written notification with the reasons of the delay.

well they didn't do either with my permit. When I called the officer that was "doing permits" he asked who the heck I was, he never heard of me and he said he has not seen any paper work on me. He asked me to call him back in 10 minutes. So i did and I said "you know this violates state law" he said "he would run it over to the judge in the morning". Two days later the the county clerk called me and said I could come pick up my permit at my convenience and that I should walk right to the front of the line when I get to the clerks office. There had to be 30 or 40 people in line to get licenses/building permits/and gun permits. When I walked to the front of the line, I saw a lot of angry people, LOL. The nice lady behind the counter asked me to return to the end of the line, but when I said the county clerk told me to come to the front of the line. She asked if I was Jeff, I said yes, she said wait right there, I'll get the county clerk. Margret DeFransico brought me my permit, handled all the fees and stuff and said have a nice day LOL
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Well, I did follow up and found out the captain who is in charge of permits was notified of my situation and said he'd look into it, but he is on vacation til Monday, so I'll wait a til the middle to end of next week and then call him and discuss with him the fact that my wait time has exceeded state statutes without notifying me of the reason, maybe that'll light a fire under them.
    ~Thomas Jefferson
    ~ Norman Vincent Peale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links