My recent Concealed Carry/LEO Experience (Long)

This is a discussion on My recent Concealed Carry/LEO Experience (Long) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here is my recent LEO experience. It was very interesting to say the least! My kids were visiting me here in Arkansas. After their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My recent Concealed Carry/LEO Experience (Long)

My recent Concealed Carry/LEO Experience (Long)

So here is my recent LEO experience. It was very interesting to say the least!

My kids were visiting me here in Arkansas. After their visit was over I had to drive them back to Iowa. Arkansas' chl is accepted in Missouri, but not Iowa. So when I make the trip I carry from home to the iowa border, then disarm and secure while I am in Iowa.

Back to the story. I live in central Arkansas, after about 3 hours on the road we made it to Bella Vista Arkansas which is right on the MO/AR border. As I was slowing to a stop light I noticed my brakes were grinding extremely bad (were working just fine a minute ago). Pulled off the interstate to a church parking lot right off the way. Got out, found out that a bolt had sheared off one of the rear calliper brackets. Get the kids out of the car and walk over to the Church.... No one there! I looked around to see what else was near that would actually be able to help us and saw the Bella Vista Police/Fire Station was across the interstate. While we walked over I found a dealership about 20 miles away that had the part.

I was very nervous walking over to the police station as I was not sure exactly how to handle this, and hoped someone would be outside as I couldn't walk in there with my weapon on my side... I also didn't want to leave my gun in the truck in a town and parking lot I wasn't familiar with.

Thankfully when we arrived there was a paramedic out working on an ambulance. I approached him and told him our situation, told him I really needed a ride to a dealership, and to borrow some tools, told him I was armed and couldn't walk inside to ask for help.... He went in for a brief moment, came back out and flagged me in... Officer comes out from behind desk and puts me and my two kiddos in an interview room... Short while later he comes in and asks me whats going on... Explained to him the situation, said what we needed and hoped he could help. He left again for a few, came back and said "The police chief will give you a ride, but your kids and firearm have to stay here with the secretary"

He then walked me back to their roll call room and told me to remove my gun and place it in a locker. I was surprised he let me handle the gun rather than him removing it for me like i've heard of a lot of officers doing.

Took the ride with the chief, got the part, came back to find my kids had gotten a royal tour of the facility. They got to play with the jaws of life, see both sides of an formal interview room, play in an ambulance and fire truck, got hooked up to the EKG machine, got all sorts of stickers, and coloring books and plastic badges. Once I got the bolt replaced I went back to retrieve my weapon. The officer brought it out to me - holding it like it had a major disease or something - and handed it to me to re-holster - in front of a couple BG's handcuffed to their chairs.

So to sum all that up - I was surprised at the officers reactions and that they were so great in helping us out! They didn't ask for any ID or my CHL, they only took my word that I was licensed.

So knock on wood, this doesn't happen to me again, but I'm very greatful that they helped!

X

2. Remove Ads

You would either have to be fatally stupid or have brass ones the size of tx to illegally carry a firearm in a Police station,here it is legal as long as their are no Court offices IE Justice of the Peace in the building
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm glad it went so well. My family and I are moving back to Fort Smith from Las Vegas and I hope the LEO's are as friendly as well.

It seems that some places, LEO's are scared of anyone else with a gun. Other places they are not. And there is no real rhyme or reason to where or why. Sounds like the kids had a great time during the pitstop. Glad it went well, at least as well as breaking down out of town can go.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Nice! I'd be nervous about leaving my kids AND gun...but I suppose it IS a police station....
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Sorry about the mechanical problem.......BUT that was an experience your kids will remember the rest of their lives.

ProTip: Get a AAA card.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    ProTip: Get a AAA card.
    Oh i've got a AAA card.. Only problem with them is they will only tow you. Not chauffeur me arround! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ximat1 View Post
    Oh i've got a AAA card.. Only problem with them is they will only tow you. Not chauffeur me arround! :)
    They would have towed you to the car dealership where your new part was though .....anyways, sounds like a decent experience. I am very familiar with bella vista, been through there 100 times or so. Just make sure you don't go more than 1 mile/hour OVER the posted limit. They will nail you every time!!!
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Wow...thanks for sharing. That's quite a story

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Now you know what it feels like to be the Mayor of Chicago or New York City. Armed chauffeur and bodyguard, and bodyguards for you and the kids!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Would be nice to drop a thank you note in the mail to the Chief, thanking his men and him.

Quote Originally Posted by gmark340 View Post
    would be nice to drop a thank you note in the mail to the chief, thanking his men and him.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    this
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Glad it turned out ok!

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You would either have to be fatally stupid or have brass ones the size of tx to illegally carry a firearm in a Police station,here it is legal as long as their are no Court offices IE Justice of the Peace in the building

Humm this got me thinking, as far as I know it is legal to carry into a police station here in Michigan unless they are posted, just not court offices. Last time I had to accompany my daughter to the friend of the courts I took my gun off and locked it in the car safe, but didnt bother to remove the holster. I should have, since it caused the metal detector to go off and I had to remove it anyways. The deputy seemed OK when I showed it to him and ran it through the scanner, but seemed to give me a funny look as I was leaving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links