Bummer of a conversation with my son

This is a discussion on Bummer of a conversation with my son within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hanging out with my 10-yr-old the other night, he asked me "why I hid my gun(s)" (meaning concealed carry). He said that it just seemed ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bummer of a conversation with my son

VIP Member

Bummer of a conversation with my son

Hanging out with my 10-yr-old the other night, he asked me "why I hid my gun(s)" (meaning concealed carry). He said that it just seemed sneaky and he wanted to make sure that it was legal. So I showed him my permit and described that South Carolina law requires that the gun be 'hidden' when carried. I also reinforced that he is not to discuss that I carry with his friends nor anyone else. This of course, caused him more alarm, as he saw this as "sneaky".

We then talked about why I didn't want the bad guys to know that I carry, as well as why I didn't want anybody else to know. After more discussion, I got to the source of his concern - which was because his teacher at school had told them that bad people used guns, drugs and alcohol. Nice. I guess that's how ATF got it's name...

That boy trusts me completely, but this was the first time that I've ever seen a doubt in his eyes. It looks like I have my work cut out for me in a society that demonizes the 2nd amendment.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Maybe have a private chat with the teacher?

VIP Member
    That must have been hard. On par with the birds and bees.

Good luck with it.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    The last thing I would do is have a private chat with that teacher, I'd want lots of witnesses as to what was said, and taking a page from the OC crowd, a recording.

Ex Member
    Well to a 10 year old "sneak" always means you are doing something wrong. Let him know that "sneak" can also sometimes that you are doing something right. Explain that undercover cops "sneak" in order to protect people, and Special Forces "sneak" in order to help save the lives of Military personal.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    We then talked about why I didn't want the bad guys to know that I carry, as well as why I didn't want anybody else to know. After more discussion, I got to the source of his concern - which was because his teacher at school had told them that bad people used guns, drugs and alcohol. Nice. I guess that's how ATF got it's name...
    Point out that the police use guns. Are they bad people? He's at an impressionable age. Now's the time to make the right impression with him.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i wouldnt want a private chat with the teacher either...although i would school my son on the fact that policemen carry guns also...your sons interpretation of what the teacher said in context may have been a bit off also...

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The last thing I would do is have a private chat with that teacher, I'd want lots of witnesses as to what was said, and taking a page from the OC crowd, a recording.
    Watch the recording thing. In some States that constitutes wire tapping unless ALL parties know it is being recorded.

Depending on what checks are done for the S.C. permit... You might also explain to your son, that only good guys can get a permit to carry a weapon, legally, and that they are thouroughly checked out by LE before being allowed to do so. And at the same time explain that bad guys do carry their guns hidden, too... that they do that to terrorize people and to commit crimes and to hurt people... You carry so that you can protect your family from those bad people.

You do indeed have your work cut out for you...

His next question is likely to be: If there were no guns for the bad guys or for you... nobody would ever get hurt... Why not get rid of the guns?

Good luck!
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

oh boy..well cops and soldiers carry guns...and their good guys and gals? maybe he'll feel better when u mention that

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    After more discussion, I got to the source of his concern - which was because his teacher at school had told them that bad people used guns, drugs and alcohol.
    Well, this is true, Bad guys do use all of those things. Make sure he knows that good guys do too. Its not the object, its the action that makes it bad. Doctors use drugs for good things far more than bad guys use them for evil. Policemen, soliders and Dads use guns for good as well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I thought about that, but the quote came from last year's teacher. I've decided that I can't run ahead of him to pre-condition his world. He has to live in it like it is, and have his own set of values (which I work to instill).

Also, (as JD inferred) I don't go out of my way to convert an anti. I just don't need the drama. Thanks for the caring thoughts, though.

This, and it's legal in NC. SC is also a one party state.

http://www.callcorder.com/phone-reco...aw-america.htm

Your kids are already in school? Wow, we got a couple weeks still.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i wouldnt want a private chat with the teacher either...although i would school my son on the fact that policemen carry guns also...your sons interpretation of what the teacher said in context may have been a bit off also...

Well I wasn't thinking along the lines of trying to convert her but politely explain that it's not that cut and dry for any of those 3 things. Young children are impressionable and you don't want them going around thinking the police, military, doctors, etc are bad as others have alluded to. I certainly wouldn't make it just about guns and never mention that you owned a gun. Just a genuine concern for using broad stereotypes on impressionable young minds. It doesn't need to confrontational just that his son was asking questions and he thought he'd discuss his concerns with the teacher.

All you can do is teach them well and try to instill the values you want. It's easier if it's nipped in the bud and taught first instead of changing their minds after the fact that someone else ( the teacher ) imparted their veiws first. It's hard to cover ALL the bases ALL the time. If it was easy, every kid would turn out perfect. The great base you have is that you said he trusts you. This should'nt change that, it will be just one of his learning experiences in life, is all.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links