Husband and Wife at the range/store yesterday

This is a discussion on Husband and Wife at the range/store yesterday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I witnessed the infancy of a convert... a woman came onto the range with her husband and RSO after renting a .38 with CT laser, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husband and Wife at the range/store yesterday

Husband and Wife at the range/store yesterday

I witnessed the infancy of a convert... a woman came onto the range with her husband and RSO after renting a .38 with CT laser, she fired maybe 20 rounds and decided she was fine with it. Later in the gun shop there I overheard her talking while filling out forms. She seemed afraid.

Apparently they had a close call of some sort near her home, and she decided she wanted a gun for protection, her husband right along with her supporting her decision.

it doesn't take much to realize its a dangerous world out there.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

It is a sad state of affairs. Im glad there is another in the flock
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I've seen more first-time gun owners than ever before at the range. More and more women, but people of all ages. We have actually changed our selection of rental guns because of it.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

While I welcome new gun owners to the fold, unless we change the way many in society vote and think, guns will be just a passing fad that will be eliminated from the possession of the general populace. Make no mistake about it, Constitution and Bill of Rights or not, there are those that seek to eliminate the civilian ownership of guns, and they just might succeed.

Biker

I seriously hope that she gets more training,20 rounds in a silhouette,may get you familiar with how a gun shoots,but in a stress situation even at short distances you could totally miss your target
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I seriously hope that she gets more training,20 rounds in a silhouette,may get you familiar with how a gun shoots,but in a stress situation even at short distances you could totally miss your target
    Honestly I think she just wanted to select a gun to purchase. since she bought one I have to assume she took her class and got her permit which would have involved her shooting dozens of rounds in CT. for my permit class I fired one .22, one .38, one 9mm and one .45...I fired maybe 20 rounds from each (maybe 20 more from the .22) at various distances.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    While I welcome new gun owners to the fold, unless we change the way many in society vote and think, guns will be just a passing fad that will be eliminated from the possession of the general populace. Make no mistake about it, Constitution and Bill of Rights or not, there are those that seek to eliminate the civilian ownership of guns, and they just might succeed.

Biker
    its so sad but true .I tell some of my friends the same thing,that they sould try and get their CC permitt just to see what it feels like to be able to carry for your protection becouse I feel its only a matter of time before its all takin away from us.

Here's an interesting thought. For a person in this situation whether male or female, would not a nice single shot shotgun, perhaps with a shortened legal barrel and loaded with buckshot and with a shell carrier on the stock be a better weapon?
    You have someone who has little or no experience with a semi automatic or even with a standard revolver coupled with the stress of a possible intruder could conceivably result in a worse case scenario of the perp gaining the upper ground and possibly injuring or killing the homeowner.
    A single shot shotgun is a basic weapon, easily handled, easily understood by a nimrod and quite deadly in a confrontation.
    Certainly a few trips to the range would result in more experience with a pistol but when you have a person who is basically unfamiliar with a semi automatic or revolver and add the stress of trying to cope with a high stress situation of an intruder you are looking at a huge inequity of force and experience.
    I'm not saying that everyone is incapable of handling that situation but for those who aren't experienced and up to date on weapons and techniques the simple way may be better until such a time that they are comfortable with handling a more complex weapon.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

Biker
    That is sooo right; people need to wake up and that very soon. Unfortunately, it appears to be something almost impossible.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    theres an awful lot of assumption regardlign her capabilities and what would be the best weapon for her to defend herself with without really knowing much about her...

the nerves may have been more to do with her actually purchasing a firearm to protect herself...she may have shot previously with her husband for all we know...her familiarity might be better than we think also...this is just her first personal defense gun...

good decision on their part to rent a gun before purchasing...sounds like they make responsible choices and should be congratulated for doing so...like everyone else here does i certainly hope she never has to use it...

Quote Originally Posted by redfish443 View Post
    Here's an interesting thought. For a person in this situation whether male or female, would not a nice single shot shotgun, perhaps with a shortened legal barrel and loaded with buckshot and with a shell carrier on the stock be a better weapon?
    You have someone who has little or no experience with a semi automatic or even with a standard revolver coupled with the stress of a possible intruder could conceivably result in a worse case scenario of the perp gaining the upper ground and possibly injuring or killing the homeowner.
    A single shot shotgun is a basic weapon, easily handled, easily understood by a nimrod and quite deadly in a confrontation.
    Certainly a few trips to the range would result in more experience with a pistol but when you have a person who is basically unfamiliar with a semi automatic or revolver and add the stress of trying to cope with a high stress situation of an intruder you are looking at a huge inequity of force and experience.
    I'm not saying that everyone is incapable of handling that situation but for those who aren't experienced and up to date on weapons and techniques the simple way may be better until such a time that they are comfortable with handling a more complex weapon.
    You can't CARRY a shotgun though
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by redfish443 View Post
    I'm a tweaked up crack head who got some PCP instead... I'm robbing your house... Now you shot your single shotty at me and in your adrenaline fueled state, you missed and are attempting to reload... I take it from you, m'am (mom always wanted me to be polite), and started beating you to death with it, mom... and you're dead now aren't you mom..? You can't spank me any more... MOM... How's it feel MOM??? I want my allowance MOM! MOM.. You're staining the carpet! BAD MOM! DEAD MOM...

Nope... I don't think a single shot shotty is the answer... I think the handgun with some training gives her a better chance... both in the retention of the weapon and in the amount of ammo avaialble... Of course the key is training... in either case, with either weapon.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    hope she goes through with it
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I'm a tweaked up crack head who got some PCP instead... I'm robbing your house... Now you shot your single shotty at me and in your adrenaline fueled state, you missed and are attempting to reload... I take it from you, m'am (mom always wanted me to be polite), and started beating you to death with it, mom... and you're dead now aren't you mom..? You can't spank me any more... MOM... How's it feel MOM??? I want my allowance MOM! MOM.. You're staining the carpet! BAD MOM! DEAD MOM...

Nope... I don't think a single shot shotty is the answer... I think the handgun with some training gives her a better chance... both in the retention of the weapon and in the amount of ammo avaialble... Of course the key is training... in either case, with either weapon.
    Well for one, we don't know what the HD options are at this families residence, they may already have a shotty of some sort that this woman is proficiant with. Who knows, maybe a champion skeet shooter. The OP stated that she was looking at a pistol so I wont go into the "what about" train of thought, but rather congratulate her on the consideration of a carry option for personal protection. Good on her and her husband!

Having said that, In general I would hope that all citizens that choose to carry would practice and constantly seek to improve with all of their SD options. JMHO
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

at my ccw class, there was a woman that had never fired a gun. she cried while standing in the stall waiting for the order to fire. after 50 rounds she was feeling relaxed and confident enough that she asked if she could go through another 50. it was an amazing transformation that took place that night and another would be victim taking control of her life. need to see more of that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links