Non Resident carrying in Missouri under 23

This is a discussion on Non Resident carrying in Missouri under 23 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im 21 and planning on a road trip to St. Louis tomorrow, got to Missouri's page on handgunlaw.us to find that they don't issue to ...

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Non Resident carrying in Missouri under 23

  1. #1
    Member Array crf3973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    246

    Non Resident carrying in Missouri under 23

    Im 21 and planning on a road trip to St. Louis tomorrow, got to Missouri's page on handgunlaw.us to find that they don't issue to individuals under the age of 23... I have 3 CHLs (Oregon resident, Washington non and Florida non)

    Does this mean im SOL as far as carrying on this journey?

    What are my options as far as securing it legally in the car once I enter the state, like unloading and placing in the trunk?

    EDIT: The wording is kind of confusing, but it looks like I may be able to still carry loaded just as normal, as long as I don't exit the car..Am I reading that right?

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    1,464
    Missouri recognizes permits from any state, DC, territory, and if I understand correctly, even any foreign government. Your age is not a factor.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

  4. #3
    VIP Member
    Array deadeye111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    5,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Missouri recognizes permits from any state, DC, territory, and if I understand correctly, even any foreign government. Your age is not a factor.
    Agave is correct. Hope you have a good trip.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array paaiyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,071
    Whooo, long road trip. Sounds like you're set though. Have fun!
    My blog

    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

  6. #5
    VIP Member
    Array SIGP250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MO - Rock Ranch
    Posts
    2,273
    MO recognizes firearms permits from every state except Vermont. We also don't recognize WI or IL since they have no cc law. If you are driving, it looks like you will need to use your FL non-res permit to get here. Once here, any of them will be honored.

    Happy trails.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

  7. #6
    Member Array Zwetschgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    KCMO
    Posts
    25
    I'm 22 and have a FL non-resident permit and carry everyday. With the exception of the bogus 23 year old rule, Missouri laws are pretty much awesome.

  8. #7
    Member Array nsimps69's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    450
    ok to carry here in the STL with current CCW permits... +1 with everything said here, have a good trip.

  9. #8
    Member Array Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Utah County, Utah
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    MO recognizes firearms permits from every state except Vermont.
    That's because Vermont does not have a permit to issue, and concealed carry is legal there without it.

    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    We also don't recognize WI or IL since they have no cc law.
    Both of those states do in fact have concealed carry laws.

    Quote Originally Posted by Illinois
    CRIMINAL OFFENSES
    (720 ILCS 5/) Criminal Code of 1961.
    Unlawful Use of Weapons.
    (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he
    ...
    (4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his
    own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that
    this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following
    conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsin
    941.23 Carrying concealed weapon.
    Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a
    Class A misdemeanor. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this section, peace officer does not
    include a commission warden who is not a state−certified commission warden.
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

  10. #9
    VIP Member
    Array SIGP250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MO - Rock Ranch
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jensen View Post
    That's because Vermont does not have a permit to issue, and concealed carry is legal there without it.



    Both of those states do in fact have concealed carry laws.
    I have no idea what your point is.

    Illinois and Wisconsin do not issue endorsements to carry a concealed weapon. Period.

    Since Vermont does not issue permits, its residents are unable to legally carry concealed in other states that would normally recognize out-of-state permit holders unless they hold some other state's permit.

    Missouri honors permits from all states that have concealed carry laws substantially equal to that of Missouri. The above three sates have no carry law to compare to. Therefore, Missouri does not honor these states.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

  11. #10
    Member Array opalelement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri
    Posts
    65
    I realize my reply is late, but I just thought this might help;

    All RSMo states is that you must be 23 to submit a Missouri application, not to legally carry. The laws say the carrier must have a permit pursuant to the Missouri application process, or have a valid permit from another state.

    I looked this up because I plan to apply for the Maine permit. I turned 18 on July 30 and should be carrying by the end of the year, assuming my parents let me own a gun in their house (their house, their rules... Living here for college) My first paycheck is processed on the 20th of this month and then I will look to take the course sometime after that.

    I think that this would actually make me the youngest legal carrier in Missouri (or at least close to it) as most people don't know that Maine offers non-resident permits at 18.

    Here is another thread where I discuss this: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...extension-quot

  12. #11
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by opalelement View Post
    I realize my reply is late, but I just thought this might help;

    All RSMo states is that you must be 23 to submit a Missouri application, not to legally carry. The laws say the carrier must have a permit pursuant to the Missouri application process, or have a valid permit from another state.

    I looked this up because I plan to apply for the Maine permit. I turned 18 on July 30 and should be carrying by the end of the year, assuming my parents let me own a gun in their house (their house, their rules... Living here for college) My first paycheck is processed on the 20th of this month and then I will look to take the course sometime after that.

    I think that this would actually make me the youngest legal carrier in Missouri (or at least close to it) as most people don't know that Maine offers non-resident permits at 18.

    Here is another thread where I discuss this: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...extension-quot
    Well, we all hope you're up to the responsibility of carrying a gun in public at the ripe old age of 18.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  13. #12
    Member Array opalelement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri
    Posts
    65
    I feel strongly that I am.

    And there won't be much carrying yet, hard to do when you get up at 6, go to a college that won't allow CC, then I leave at 2:30 to go straight to a full time job until 11:30 that is anti-CC (because they don't condone violence in the workplace...)

    EDIT: I forgot to post this; the main reason I am interested in obtaining my permit is that I will be getting married and moving to a city I have never been in (transferring colleges so I can take Criminal Justice and CIS to get a Computer Forensics option), both within the next two years. I want to be able to protect my then-wife and myself.

  14. #13
    VIP Member
    Array SIGP250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MO - Rock Ranch
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by opalelement View Post
    I feel strongly that I am.

    And there won't be much carrying yet, hard to do when you get up at 6, go to a college that won't allow CC, then I leave at 2:30 to go straight to a full time job until 11:30 that is anti-CC (because they don't condone violence in the workplace...)

    EDIT: I forgot to post this; the main reason I am interested in obtaining my permit is that I will be getting married and moving to a city I have never been in (transferring colleges so I can take Criminal Justice and CIS to get a Computer Forensics option), both within the next two years. I want to be able to protect my then-wife and myself.
    My understanding is that you are planning to carry a Maine non resident permit in Missouri. What you probably do not realize is that there are state laws for firearms and there are also Federal laws. Maine will permit you at 18, however under The Federal Gun Control Act a licensed firearms dealer can sell a rifle or shotgun to a person 18 or older. Sales of handguns and handgun ammunition is limited to persons 21 and older. While some states have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by CGA. The only exception to sale of handgun ammunition by a dealer to persons under 21 is what is known as interchangeable ammunition such as .22 rim fire ammo.

    The only way I know for certain that you can legally possess a handgun is for Mom or Dad or any willing person over 21 to loan you a handgun. Most states will allow a sale between private parties without going through a licensed dealer. You will need to check your state law to see if there is a minimum age requirement for the sale of a handgun between private parties 18 or older.

    Unless you plan to carry a .22, you still need to deal with how you intend to obtain your ammo. When carrying with a non resident permit you must abide by the law of the state you are carrying in. I can't tell you how to go about obtaining ammo in MO except that you cannot buy handgun ammo from a dealer if you are under 21. I am not sure if it is lawful for you to buy from a private party.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

  15. #14
    Member Array opalelement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    My understanding is that you are planning to carry a Maine non resident permit in Missouri. What you probably do not realize is that there are state laws for firearms and there are also Federal laws. Maine will permit you at 18, however under The Federal Gun Control Act a licensed firearms dealer can sell a rifle or shotgun to a person 18 or older. Sales of handguns and handgun ammunition is limited to persons 21 and older. While some states have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by CGA. The only exception to sale of handgun ammunition by a dealer to persons under 21 is what is known as interchangeable ammunition such as .22 rim fire ammo.

    The only way I know for certain that you can legally possess a handgun is for Mom or Dad or any willing person over 21 to loan you a handgun. Most states will allow a sale between private parties without going through a licensed dealer. You will need to check your state law to see if there is a minimum age requirement for the sale of a handgun between private parties 18 or older.

    Unless you plan to carry a .22, you still need to deal with how you intend to obtain your ammo. When carrying with a non resident permit you must abide by the law of the state you are carrying in. I can't tell you how to go about obtaining ammo in MO except that you cannot buy handgun ammo from a dealer if you are under 21. I am not sure if it is lawful for you to buy from a private party.
    I have already researched this as well about 6 months ago, and even called the Sheriff's Department, the KC FBI field office, and the BATFE at that time to ask them about this, as one of my 20-year old friends wanted to buy a handgun form his older brother. It is perfectly legal in Missouri to buy both ammo and a handgun from private parties, the federal law only affects FFLs.

  16. #15
    VIP Member
    Array SIGP250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MO - Rock Ranch
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by opalelement View Post
    I have already researched this as well about 6 months ago, and even called the Sheriff's Department, the KC FBI field office, and the BATFE at that time to ask them about this, as one of my 20-year old friends wanted to buy a handgun form his older brother. It is perfectly legal in Missouri to buy both ammo and a handgun from private parties, the federal law only affects FFLs.
    It is good that you did your research to be clear on these points. Good Job!

    On another note, NRA has introduced NRA University, a training seminar for college students about your Second Amendment Rights. I hope you will look into this.

    Email: NRAU@NRAHQ.org Phone: 800-392-9683.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. NC resident carrying in Virginia
    By Jaystekan in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: July 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM
  2. Missouri City resident shoots attacker
    By cbp210 in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: November 12th, 2009, 11:25 PM
  3. FL resident question about carrying at work
    By Smoak in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: October 25th, 2009, 11:35 PM
  4. Kansas/Missouri Non-Resident Gun Purchase
    By spwz99 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 3rd, 2009, 12:07 AM
  5. Can I Switch from VA Resident to Non-resident without a lot of red tape?
    By gmitch40 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: August 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Search tags for this page

can a missouri resident buy a gun in kansas

,
can a missouri resident buy a handgun in kansas
,
can a non resident buy a gun in missouri
,
can a non resident buy a rifle in missouri
,
can a non resident open carry in missouri
,
can an illinois resident buy a gun in missouri
,
can non residents open carry in mo
,
can non residents open carry with a concealed permit in m0.
,
can non-residents in missouri purchase guns
,
do i have to be a resident of missouri to buy a handgun
,

missouri non resident open carry

,
purchase gun in missouri
Click on a term to search for related topics.