Poorly concealed pistol spotted (minor rant)

This is a discussion on Poorly concealed pistol spotted (minor rant) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; while working yesterday I spotted a fellow carrying with really bad printing through his t shirt. I was tempted to quietly inform him his Glock ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poorly concealed pistol spotted (minor rant)

Lead Moderator

Poorly concealed pistol spotted (minor rant)

while working yesterday I spotted a fellow carrying with really bad printing through his t shirt. I was tempted to quietly inform him his Glock was really obvious to anyone observant.
    In the end I got a bit busy with other matters and lost track of him , it just annoys me he couldn't figure out he was badly printing.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

I'm new to this site and there may be some backstory here, but why do you care? Why do you assume that "he couldn't figure out" as opposed to he didn't care? For example, my local Publix is OK with OC but they would prefer that you CC. I frequently pull my T-shirt over my gun when I go inside just to keep the manager there happy -- I don't care if it prints or not.

I was wondering the same thing. What if he knew he was printing and didn't care? What if he knew he was printing and that was his intention? Of course, you are welcome to do whatever makes you happy, but me personally? I'd mind my own business.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I think this is quite possibly one of the worst ideas I have ever heard

If I were approached by some random stranger and he started asking me questions about my gun I would not react well. I don't know you from a bar of soap if you get into my bubble you’re a threat and you're referencing my gun while you’re doing it that makes it worse.

I have to semi-agree. No, I don't think you should have address the issue, but I also don't understand why so many of us are so (for the lack of a better term) willy nilly with concealment. It is 'concealed' carry, I have a 'concealed' weapon permit. I am yet to read any blog, forum, book, literature that has instructed me to carry concealed when I felt like it and to knowingly print when I wanted to. I try to do everything in my power to keep my firearm concealed, if I print a little or my shirt rides up, that's one thing, but to almost knowingly carry while printing seems silly. If it is legal, open carry, if it is not, you'd better conceal that thing. Sure, I suppose you have the right to throw wife beater, or a spandex underarmor type shirt on over your gun and call it concealed (though it's not). Not to sound too politically correct, but the general public can't necessarily deal with seeing guns. Maybe some day guns will be common place enough no one will give it a second glance. It seems like it would not be worth the trouble having to one day deal with the police. Many people are ignorant of gun laws and if they see someone with a pistol in their pants they may end up calling the police. If nothing worse happens (which we all know things have taken a turn for the worse for CCW permit holders and the police) it will be a total time vampire to get hassled by the fuzz.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I've run into a similar situation and DID tell the fellow I could see his gun. I could see the grip outright when he bent over. It's a little different here though, in Texas not only is it illegal to OC, but even to conceal poorly AFAIK.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    while working yesterday I spotted a fellow carrying with really bad printing through his t shirt. I was tempted to quietly inform him his Glock was really obvious to anyone observant.
    In the end I got a bit busy with other matters and lost track of him , it just annoys me he couldn't figure out he was badly printing.
    perhaps he doesn't care? Half the time I don't care myself, then again VA is an open state and I don't know what MI law says...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Isn't it open carry there? Does that make a difference?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

99% of the time i am sure to conceal well. so well that the few people that know i carry cant tell when i am. but there are a few rare occasions that i dont care if i am printing alittle bit. so i feel if its leagal in your area to print or open carry then go ahead. and i wouldnt approach someone and tell them they are printing. if the dont have the self awareness to check themselves, then they can deal with the concequences if approached by leo about man with a gun. some people need to learn the hard way.

I'd say fellow CC'ers are a lot more likely to notice minor printing than is anyone else. I can safely say that I have never noticed anyone CCing until I persued CCW myself and began noticing such things.

I've seen people printing numerous times, but never say anything about it. I only noticed it because I worry about it myself, and seriously doubt anyone else noticed. The only time I've ever said anything to anyone was to a gentleman registering his kids for the local soccer league, and his t-shirt had ridden up completely exposed his Glock (not simply "printing"). Open Carry is not legal in TX.
    Last edited by Camjr; August 8th, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Uncertain what the carry laws are in MI (ie, is open carry legal, and is "printing" a crime). But if it's not criminal to do so, then I can see how printing wouldn't be taken to be such a dramatic loss of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    If I were approached by some random stranger and he started asking me questions about my gun I would not react well. I don't know you from a bar of soap if you get into my bubble you’re a threat ...
    I think you might find the "reasonable man" standard would view such a situation differently. No such person notifying you of "printing" is a threat, until threatening behavior exists. Simply notifying you ain't it. Daring to "not react well" and treat such things as "threats" are going to get you into some legal hot water, in future, if acted upon. Caution.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I usually wear 1 size larger shirts so I try not to print,but sometimes when I'm riding my bike it likes to sneek a peek to see where were going
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Here, OC is legal. If I see a pistol or revolver on someone I say nothing. It it up to them how they carry. If I were obvious, I would not fault someone for grinning and saying quietly, pull your shirt down or pull your pants up. It's all in how you look at things and where you are I suppose.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

AzB
    If printing is not illegal there, then MYOB.

If it is illegal, I might just mention that "you're showing". I would not reference a firearm or make it a big deal, just let him know in case he cares.
    Last edited by AzB; August 8th, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links