Stopped last night - Page 2

Stopped last night

This is a discussion on Stopped last night within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Why not? I thought it was a fair question. Oh it may have been a fair question but I don't care ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopped last night

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Why not? I thought it was a fair question.
    Oh it may have been a fair question but I don't care for that kind attitude. As a LEO he knows it's legal, so his personal opinion about CCW really isn't germane.

A lot of LEO are against CCW, and most of those are ones who don't have the right temperment for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I greatly dislike "Your papers, please!" check points.
    I too hate the "your papers please" checkpoints, but it's the nature of the beast.
    I don't have to inform the officer in my State (NH) if I'm CCing but, I alwasy do, just to help de-escilate the encounter. If I'm asked "where are you going" I tell them "to the store, get gas for the morning, etc. If I was ever asked "why do you carry" I'd respond "just like you Sir, I too wish to come home safely at the end of the night. I also would ask "Officer, is there reason why I'm being stopped" It's their call at that point, as to engage deeper in conversation. It usually ends on that note, I then thank them and ask them to stay safe.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post

on a related matter, what exactly would happen if you see a checkpoint down the road and decide to turn around and take an easier way home? Assuming you're not up to any thing naughty other then trying to screw with the police?
    Try it sometime and see what happens. I bet you'll be in for a surprise. That's why they have chase cars, and you might outrun the car, but never outrun the radio
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I was stopped the other nght, and as I janded the officer my license, registration, and insurance, I showed him my permit, and told him that I had my Glock 26 in my right front pocket. His comment to me was "Be sure that you carry it every where that you go, because you don't know when you may need to use it."
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

I can imagine that if I were a cop working a checkpoint for a full shift I might get a little surly, too.

My answer to "where are you going?" is "Are you investigating a crime? Do you suspect me of having committed a crime or do you suspect that I am about to commit a crime? No? Then please allow me to proceed."

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Don't know where in eastern NC you live but in my part of the state I have been stopped in roadblocks on three occasions and each time I told the officer I was carrying and offered my permit and license. On each occasion the officer said nothing more than thank you and have a nice day. None have ever asked me where I was going. Maybe you looked a little sneaky:)
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    For NC, you were definately required to disclose.
    Officer should not have asked why you carry, but I bet he didn't find the humor in your response. May I suggest that a future answer not have the implication (fair or not) that you cannot rely on police (thereby questioning their competence). My preferred answer to a LEO's "why do you carry?" Is "I have a family I intend to go home to at the end of the day."

Short simple (true) and does not have any tinge of accusation against LEO.... just my $.02....
    I think it's great that you disclosed. There's nothing like a bit of courtesy to those in uniform, especially since it's the law in NC. As for the officer asking "why do you carry?"....Sounds to me like he's just doing his job. He may have sounded short or curt in his voice and questioning, but the bottom line is he has a job to do. Why should it grate on your nerves when an officer does his job? We may not always agree with it, or the way he accomplishes it, but if you approach the situation with a positive attitude and a smile in your voice, it can go along way towards diffusing a percepted "rude" approach from the officer and turn it in to a pleasant encounter with no questions left in your mind that he is there to protect and serve. I didn't see any "humor" in the OP's reply, just a statement of fact. Of course that could be interpreted differently by different individuals..i.e. individuals on this forum or cops. As for checkpoints and their perceived "intrusion" on our lives...SOO FREAKIN WHAT!!! It's a tool that is used by police forces nationwide to accomplish their job...serve and protect. I don't hear any kudos on them when they remove five or six drunken drivers from the road at these checkpoints, only derisive comments on how it sorely inconveniences you to have to stop, engage in "rude" conversation, present your "papers" and on and on and on...What a pathetic side that folks show sometimes. Of course, if the removal of that same drunk from the road, prevented your lovely daughter or strong strapping All American quarterback from being killed in a head on collision, then I would suppose everyone would be alllllllllllll appreciative of what a good job was done to save their family members from death...What's wrong with this picture???

Now, I have a question...why all of a sudden is there all the "flaming" of LEO's on here. Folks in uniform, whether they be Paramedics, LEO's, Military, Firemen, Nurses, or any others in uniform, sometimes have a dang thankless job to do and seem to catch the butt end of society's etiquette, UNLESS, they perform something extraordinary for an individual or an individual family member. Just don't comprehend these feelings. I guess in my age I was raised to respect a uniform and look to them for assistance in time of need. They may not always provide it, but that's what I was taught and that's the way I approach em! Take a look at your own profession in life. Is everyone within your profession a fine upstanding member of the community? one that you would have your daughter bring home and say "Daddy and Mommy, this is my husband to be". I think not!!!! There are crooked real estate people, embezzeling bankers, shister mechanices, and on and on and on... There are pricks everywhere and in all walks of life and in every profession around. Just seems that more "PRICKS" are rising to the surface here in the forums lately! Kinda detracts from why we are all here...I guess everyone has an opinion...I reckon that's why I served 20+ years in the military, to allow all of us to have the right to say and think what we desire because the Constitution says we can and I swore to defend the Constitution...Thanks for the rant of an ole man!!! JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I think it's great that you disclosed. There's nothing like a bit of courtesy to those in uniform, especially since it's the law in NC. As for the officer asking "why do you carry?"....Sounds to me like he's just doing his job. He may have sounded short or curt in his voice and questioning, but the bottom line is he has a job to do. Why should it grate on your nerves when an officer does his job? We may not always agree with it, or the way he accomplishes it, but if you approach the situation with a positive attitude and a smile in your voice, it can go along way towards diffusing a percepted "rude" approach from the officer and turn it in to a pleasant encounter with no questions left in your mind that he is there to protect and serve. I didn't see any "humor" in the OP's reply, just a statement of fact. Of course that could be interpreted differently by different individuals..i.e. individuals on this forum. As for checkpoints and their perceived "intrusion" on our lives...SOO FREAKIN WHAT!!! It's a tool that is used by police forces nationwide to accomplish their job...serve and protect. I don't hear any kudos on them when they remove five or six drunken drivers from the road at these checkpoints, only derisive comments on how it sorely inconveniences you to have to stop, engage in "rude" conversation, present your "papers" and on and on and on...What a pathetic side that folks show sometimes. Of course, if the removal of that same drunk from the road, prevented your lovely daughter or strong strapping All American quarterback from being killed in a head on collision, then I would suppose everyone would be alllllllllllll appreciative of what a good job was done to save their family members from death...What's wrong with this picture???

Now, I have a question...why all of a sudden is there all the "flaming" of LEO's on here. Folks in uniform, whether they be Paramedics, LEO's, Military, Firemen, Nurses, or any others in uniform, sometimes have a dang thankless job to do and seem to catch the butt end of society's etiquette, UNLESS, they perform something extraordinary for an individual or an individual family member. Just don't comprehend these feelings. I guess in my age I was raised to respect a uniform and look to them for assistance in time of need. They may not always provide it, but that's what I was taught and that's the way I approach em! Take a look at your own profession in life. Is everyone within your profession a fine upstanding member of the community? one that you would have your daughter bring home and say "Daddy and Mommy, this is my husband to be". I think not!!!! There are crooked real estate people, embezzeling bankers, shister mechanices, and on and on and on... There are pricks everywhere and in all walks of life and in every profession around. Just seems that more "PRICKS" are rising to the surface here in the forums lately! Kinda detracts from why we are all here...I guess everyone has an opinion...Thanks for the rant of an ole man!!! JMO
    +1000 Thank you 1st Sgt.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Never, never, never, smart mouth a LEO, their job is hard enough as it is. There is absolutely no reason to grab an attitude when an officer is just doing his/her job. They can ask me anything they want in a traffic stop situation I don't mind. If he gets out of line I can always lodge a formal complaint the next day.

Oh and traffic stops are by far the most dangerous thing they can do during a "normal" work day IMHO! Watch Spike or TRUTV some time, those programs showing how sideways a traffic stop can go are real wild/scary. Drunk Driving road blocks are just as dangerous, no matter how careful the LEO is a bad guy has the "drop" on him when the LEO walks up to the car, his weapon is holstered! Personally if I was a LEO doing that I'd be a little "itchy". If I get stopped (and I have of course) I do not reach for anything until the officer has walked up to my window and instructed me to do so. I keep my hands on the wheel at 10-2:00, smile, say Yes Sir No Sir, inform the officer that I am reaching for my wallet AFTER he asks for the DL, tell him my registration is in the glove box BEFORE I reach for it, hand over my HCP with my DL (Of course), inform that I am carrying and where my firearm is and comply with all instructions/answer all questions politely. When I am stopped by an LEO I want to be sure I give the officer NO reason to feel threatened!

My "hide" is more important than my pride!

Ask to do a "ride along" some time and see it from the officer's viewpoint during a traffic stop. Most walk up to the door with their hand on their gun and I don't blame them!

Just a $.02 from your Ol' Uncle Duke.
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^Sorry to all the LEO's out there^^^^^^^^^

But I'm in ret's camp on this one; always have.

It just seems to me the old adage, "innocent till proven guilty" has gone the way of the dinosaur.
    I understand this is how you catch people driving under the influence, have possible outstanding warrants, EtC,,,,,
    But, how long will it be until we begin to hear about getting a knock on the ole' front door with the same routine.

The traverse down the slippery slope has begun I'm afraid, and its sad

If something "goes without saying," why do people still say it?
    GEEZE! Come on that IS NOT happening because a LEO makes a traffic stop and asks a slightly out of line question (in this situation the officer didn't in my opinion). We have to let our elected officials do that to us! VOTE, Run for Office, join a PAC if you are worried about the "Police State," don't sit there and cry "the sky will fall in" because of this type of situation.

That's my "rant" for the day!

The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Maybe I'm having a bad day, but I would be tempted to answer his question, "Where are you going?" with "None of your business."

I don't want to make an officer's job harder, but this really grates on my nerves.

JMO.
    Yeah. I'm not sure if they really care or if they are just trying to get you talking, but they always seem to ask that. I'm a free American and I can go wherever I damn well please, it's none of your business. My standard answer is "Home."
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

As for the officer asking "why do you carry?"....Sounds to me like he's just doing his job.
    It's not part of his job and it's really none of his business. The answer I might give, IF I felt inclined to answer question like that: I carry for protection and to preserve our Second Amendment rights lest those in a position of authority attempt to abuse that authority. So you see, Officer, the way I see it, my carrying a gun is as much my duty as you carrying a gun is.

He may have sounded short or curt in his voice and questioning, but the bottom line is he has a job to do.
    He was not doing his job by asking the question. Rather, he was either showing disrespect or attempting to intimidate, showing his displeasure with civilians carrying, or he was just curious. None of those things are "doing his job."

Why should it grate on your nerves when an officer does his job? We may not always agree with it, or the way he accomplishes it, but if you approach the situation with a positive attitude and a smile in your voice, it can go along way towards diffusing a percepted "rude" approach from the officer and turn it in to a pleasant encounter with no questions left in your mind that he is there to protect and serve.
    Maybe. Doubtful. My experience is those with a disrespectful attitude are not won over by a milquetoast response. The bully mentality is not cured by appeasement.

I didn't see any "humor" in the OP's reply, just a statement of fact. Of course that could be interpreted differently by different individuals..i.e. individuals on this forum or cops. As for checkpoints and their perceived "intrusion" on our lives...SOO FREAKIN WHAT!!! It's a tool that is used by police forces nationwide to accomplish their job...serve and protect. I don't hear any kudos on them when they remove five or six drunken drivers from the road at these checkpoints, only derisive comments on how it sorely inconveniences you to have to stop, engage in "rude" conversation, present your "papers" and on and on and on...What a pathetic side that folks show sometimes. Of course, if the removal of that same drunk from the road, prevented your lovely daughter or strong strapping All American quarterback from being killed in a head on collision, then I would suppose everyone would be alllllllllllll appreciative of what a good job was done to save their family members from death...What's wrong with this picture???
    What's "wrong with the picture" is that it is shortsighted. I trained cops for many years - I have the utmost respect for the professional ones, which is most of them. I also know that many of them are adrenelin junkies and do not have the right temperment for the job. Kissing the rears of the bad ones only emboldens them to abuse others.

Now, I have a question...why all of a sudden is there all the "flaming" of LEO's on here. Folks in uniform, whether they be Paramedics, LEO's, Military, Firemen, Nurses, or any others in uniform, sometimes have a dang thankless job to do and seem to catch the butt end of society's etiquette, UNLESS, they perform something extraordinary for an individual or an individual family member. Just don't comprehend these feelings. I guess in my age I was raised to respect a uniform and look to them for assistance in time of need. They may not always provide it, but that's what I was taught and that's the way I approach em! Take a look at your own profession in life. Is everyone within your profession a fine upstanding member of the community? one that you would have your daughter bring home and say "Daddy and Mommy, this is my husband to be". I think not!!!! There are crooked real estate people, embezzeling bankers, shister mechanices, and on and on and on... There are pricks everywhere and in all walks of life and in every profession around. Just seems that more "PRICKS" are rising to the surface here in the forums lately! Kinda detracts from why we are all here...I guess everyone has an opinion...I reckon that's why I served 20+ years in the military, to allow all of us to have the right to say and think what we desire because the Constitution says we can and I swore to defend the Constitution...Thanks for the rant of an ole man!!! JMO
    Respect for LEO is my default setting. The cop in the story upset that default setting, imo. There are few people I have more respect for the LEO and soldiers. That said, I think a bad cop is to be feared much more than a common criminal. I know what to do with a criminal when he confronts me - being exposed to a bad cop leaves you few good options. You wondered why people are so harsh on LEOs...I think that's the wrong premise. We simply hold them to a very high standard.

Ok, so I'm new here and I'm probably going to get hammered for this, but I am an LEO in NC. I appreciate the fact that you disclosed and followed protocol. If the officer was rude then I will not defend him. I do have a problem with a comment in an earlier post that said :

"A lot of LEO are against CCW, and most of those are ones who don't have the right temperment for the job."

I have been an officer since the mid 90's (prior to CCW in NC) and have always been pro CCW. I have found the majority of officers that I have worked with are also pro CC. Most of us have enjoyed the drop in crime since the passing of concealed carry in our state and appreciate the citizens that take the time to become trained and permitted (don't think the 2nd ammendment requires it but it's the law for now). My only beef with the CCW law in NC is that permit holder can purchase any firearms w/o a permit from their county or waiting period. I am a sworn LEO and have to get a permit prior to each purchase. This, however, is not the fault of the permit holders and is a perk for having the permit.

Please do not make blanket statements about LEO's. Most of us are no different than you. We are human, we have good and bad days. We have opinions, and sometimes they conflict with the world around us. We do have a job that is dangerous, and puts us around bad people on a regular basis, but this does not give us permission to be hateful. If you feel that you were mistreated while not doing anything to provoke it then I urge you to file a complaint with the officer's supervisor. Sometimes all the officer needs is a reminder of who the good guy is. Like I said, we are human, and make mistakes just like YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    I went ahead and took out my CC permit and showed it to him and told him I was carrying. I'm not quite sure if I was required to show the permit to him. I definitely would have if he would have asked for license/registration.
    What I find most disturbing in this whole post is the fact that you are not quite sure of the laws in your own state regarding what's required during routine interaction with law enforcement officers.

Whether the LEO was "rude" or not iis a matter of one's personal perspective and has little to do with the fact that you failed miserably in knowing what's required for a ccw permit holder in their own state.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I think it's great that you disclosed. There's nothing like a bit of courtesy to those in uniform, especially since it's the law in NC. As for the officer asking "why do you carry?"....Sounds to me like he's just doing his job. He may have sounded short or curt in his voice and questioning, but the bottom line is he has a job to do. Why should it grate on your nerves when an officer does his job? We may not always agree with it, or the way he accomplishes it, but if you approach the situation with a positive attitude and a smile in your voice, it can go along way towards diffusing a percepted "rude" approach from the officer and turn it in to a pleasant encounter with no questions left in your mind that he is there to protect and serve. I didn't see any "humor" in the OP's reply, just a statement of fact. Of course that could be interpreted differently by different individuals..i.e. individuals on this forum or cops. As for checkpoints and their perceived "intrusion" on our lives...SOO FREAKIN WHAT!!! It's a tool that is used by police forces nationwide to accomplish their job...serve and protect. I don't hear any kudos on them when they remove five or six drunken drivers from the road at these checkpoints, only derisive comments on how it sorely inconveniences you to have to stop, engage in "rude" conversation, present your "papers" and on and on and on...What a pathetic side that folks show sometimes. Of course, if the removal of that same drunk from the road, prevented your lovely daughter or strong strapping All American quarterback from being killed in a head on collision, then I would suppose everyone would be alllllllllllll appreciative of what a good job was done to save their family members from death...What's wrong with this picture???

As children and with our military training we were taught to respect the uniform.
    NOT the man in it. The man in uniform has to earn that respect. Most Americans overall, I believe respect the uniforms. But a jerk is a jerk and will prove to be a jerk, no matter what uniform their wearing.

He showed repsect for the uniform and lights, he stopped and attempted to obey the officers commands and questioning. If the officer came across rude then so be it, for OP he was rude. Any number of reasons can be given for his behavior. We don't know if he was actually rude or not! But it is the OP preception he was.

Some people feel others are rude if they interfere with their daily lives, so be it. Respect the uniform and go about your business after the incident. Passing judgement here after it is all said and done is kind of useless I think.

May I say, "Sorry for being so rude?"
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links