Stopped last night - Page 3

Stopped last night

This is a discussion on Stopped last night within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I’m only going to comment on the “why” question. I was taught in psych 101 that “why” is an “offensive “question. Offensive in the sense ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I’m only going to comment on the “why” question. I was taught in psych 101 that “why” is an “offensive “question. Offensive in the sense that it puts the asked on the defensive and requires him to justify his actions, I was always taught to ask ‘Is there a reason you do this?” If anyone where to ask me “Why do you feel the need to carry?” I’d simply answer “That’s a rather personal question isn’t it?”

On a side note in Colorado the police are required to set up their check points in such a way that you can “Opt out” before reaching the road block.

PS I tend to get mad respect when I go anywhere in scrubs so IDK where all this stuff about people treating nurses like dirt came from

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    What I find most disturbing in this whole post is the fact that you are not quite sure of the laws in your own state regarding what's required during routine interaction with law enforcement officers.

Whether the LEO was "rude" or not iis a matter of one's personal perspective and has little to do with the fact that you failed miserably in knowing what's required for a ccw permit holder in their own state.
    Very good point.
    In SC we had to decide what the encounter involves first.
    An example:

Most anyone can carry a loaded firearm in the glovebox/console, no license required
    If you have a CWP and are currently carrying, you must inform and show your CWP
    If you have a CWP and are not carrying , there is no longer a duty to notify of either
    and that's just out in public there are other situations at business and on private property that have different requirements

Laws are constantly changing here in SC and as responsible citizens we have duty to stay on top of the situation. It erks me too when I hear, "What, I didn't know that!" I think our current 8 hour training requirements are a bit too long and then...
    Certified Glock Armorer

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    I was on my way home from work last night. A little bit after 11PM. I took a different route then I usually go to make a stop at Sheetz to get some diesel. I live in a smaller-medium sized city. This Sheetz is on one of the main roads in town. Before I got to sheets, I see 6 or so police cars in the road with lights on. Two on each side of the four-lane road and two in the turn lane. I assumed there is some sort of collision. As I got closer, I realized it was a road block. They don't do roadblocks often here, usually only around major holidays. Maybe it has something to do with school starting soon. There was only one car ahead of me and when I got up to the officer, he was somewhat rude acting. He didn't ask for any ID or paperwork, just where I was going. I replied "Sheetz right up there." I went ahead and took out my CC permit and showed it to him and told him I was carrying. I'm not quite sure if I was required to show the permit to him. I definitely would have if he would have asked for license/registration.

Anyways, his first response was "why do you feel the need to carry?" I responded "because you (meaning LEO) can't be everywhere." He responded "OK, have a nice night" in a rude manner. I've never had a problem with the county sheriff, but some city officers here can be rude.

I've spoken to officers in the past who feel intimidated or scared around others carrying weapons.

Has anyone had an experience with law enforcement similar to mine, where the officer became even more rude after he found out you have a CCL?

My previous and only other experience, the officer replied with "good" or something similar when I told him I have a CCW.

Edit: Also, did I do the right thing by showing him the permit? I almost felt like I complicated things a bit. Unfortunately, NC requires me to notify the officer in the event I get pulled over, but I'm not sure if a roadblock scenario applies here.
    You were stopped in a DUI Checkpoint. You told the officer you had a CCW. He asked you "why do you feel the need to carry"? you gave him an answer and he told you " OK have a nice night". That was the extent of the stop and interaction. From his brief conversation he determined that there was no more need to interface with you because he smelled no alcoholic beverage on your breath when you replied to his question and so "have a nice night". No license or registration check. How was he rude ? I must be missing something here.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    Every road block i've been through, the police always ask "where are you going" and "where are coming from", usually that happens after the first cop stands in front of my vehicle and shouts "Halt! Ihre Papiere bitte!"

on a related matter, what exactly would happen if you see a checkpoint down the road and decide to turn around and take an easier way home? Assuming you're not up to any thing naughty other then trying to screw with the police?
    I know a LOT of leos who participate in these check points. They would most likely come after you; simply because that's what a BG will do if he can. Besides, in a lot of theses check point situations, a leo car or two usually hang back and look for this sort of thing. (Believe me when I tell you, this stop would be a lot more intense than just waiting your turn in line.)

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    Every road block i've been through, the police always ask "where are you going" and "where are coming from", usually that happens after the first cop stands in front of my vehicle and shouts "Halt! Ihre Papiere bitte!"

on a related matter, what exactly would happen if you see a checkpoint down the road and decide to turn around and take an easier way home? Assuming you're not up to any thing naughty other then trying to screw with the police?
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Try it sometime and see what happens. I bet you'll be in for a surprise. That's why they have chase cars, and you might outrun the car, but never outrun the radio

PLEASE don't forget to have someone in the car running video tape. We're overdue for a good one.

VIP Member
    "why do you feel the need to carry?" Personally, I have heard that same question from an officer and it was more of a statement of disapproval that an actual question. Attitude is everything!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I guess since he didn't prone you out, despite his sounding a little rude, you made out fine. Maybe he was just having a bad night and his attitude wasn't in the best of spirits that night. Maybe it's his everyday demeanor. Just be glad he didn't draw down on you, get you out and prone you out. Then I'd say you had a bad night.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I think it's great that you disclosed. There's nothing like a bit of courtesy to those in uniform, especially since it's the law in NC. As for the officer asking "why do you carry?"....Sounds to me like he's just doing his job. He may have sounded short or curt in his voice and questioning, but the bottom line is he has a job to do. Why should it grate on your nerves when an officer does his job? We may not always agree with it, or the way he accomplishes it, but if you approach the situation with a positive attitude and a smile in your voice, it can go along way towards diffusing a percepted "rude" approach from the officer and turn it in to a pleasant encounter with no questions left in your mind that he is there to protect and serve. I didn't see any "humor" in the OP's reply, just a statement of fact. Of course that could be interpreted differently by different individuals..i.e. individuals on this forum or cops. As for checkpoints and their perceived "intrusion" on our lives...SOO FREAKIN WHAT!!! It's a tool that is used by police forces nationwide to accomplish their job...serve and protect. I don't hear any kudos on them when they remove five or six drunken drivers from the road at these checkpoints, only derisive comments on how it sorely inconveniences you to have to stop, engage in "rude" conversation, present your "papers" and on and on and on...What a pathetic side that folks show sometimes. Of course, if the removal of that same drunk from the road, prevented your lovely daughter or strong strapping All American quarterback from being killed in a head on collision, then I would suppose everyone would be alllllllllllll appreciative of what a good job was done to save their family members from death...What's wrong with this picture???

Now, I have a question...why all of a sudden is there all the "flaming" of LEO's on here. Folks in uniform, whether they be Paramedics, LEO's, Military, Firemen, Nurses, or any others in uniform, sometimes have a dang thankless job to do and seem to catch the butt end of society's etiquette, UNLESS, they perform something extraordinary for an individual or an individual family member. Just don't comprehend these feelings. I guess in my age I was raised to respect a uniform and look to them for assistance in time of need. They may not always provide it, but that's what I was taught and that's the way I approach em! Take a look at your own profession in life. Is everyone within your profession a fine upstanding member of the community? one that you would have your daughter bring home and say "Daddy and Mommy, this is my husband to be". I think not!!!! There are crooked real estate people, embezzeling bankers, shister mechanices, and on and on and on... There are pricks everywhere and in all walks of life and in every profession around. Just seems that more "PRICKS" are rising to the surface here in the forums lately! Kinda detracts from why we are all here...I guess everyone has an opinion...I reckon that's why I served 20+ years in the military, to allow all of us to have the right to say and think what we desire because the Constitution says we can and I swore to defend the Constitution...Thanks for the rant of an ole man!!! JMO
    Well put. I was always taught to respect the uniform. His asking questions is part of his job, there is no need to be a jerk or give smart alec comments. Be courteous and respectful w/o giving them attitude will go a long way, at least in my experience.

I have a full respect for police. I know they have a very hard and risky job. But some of them act as if normal citizens are criminals. Unless they are investigating a crime, I don't fel like they should ask me where I've been or where I'm going. Some people may have a problem with that statement including ex cops and ex military, but the plan and simple fact is that this is a free country. Several thousands of military and police personal have died to make and keep it that way. So to get offended by someone who feels like they shouldn't be asked that question is kinda odd to me. The reason this is odd to me is the fact that our solders fought and lost their lives against countries that did the same thing, just to a different degree. See alot of people feel that being questioned about their personnal life equates to having to "show their papers" I feel like a better way to determine if someone has been drinking is to simply ask "have you had anything to drink today" This to me is a better question because it keeps the stop from becoming personnal while maintaining a professional additude and asking a question that pertains to a subject this is the officers bussiness. And it's their duty to ask. See, Our freedoms seem to be infringed upon more and more each day and as a result normal, law abiding citizens are easily aggrevated when they feel like they are being questioned about their personnal lives, because that makes US feel like criminals. And I'm not saying it's right, but that results in tension when we are stopped. Because, after all what gives them the right to ask about my personnal life. Nothing. Law abiding citizens should have the right to go ANYWHERE they want at any time they want without being asked why they are there or where they are coming from. Because, after all Isn't that what thousands of police and solders died for? To ensure our rights as FREE citizens of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Just saying....

Feel free to flame me. That's your right.
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    Don't know where in eastern NC you live but in my part of the state I have been stopped in roadblocks on three occasions and each time I told the officer I was carrying and offered my permit and license. On each occasion the officer said nothing more than thank you and have a nice day. None have ever asked me where I was going. Maybe you looked a little sneaky:)
    Naaaaa, no sneaky looking. I think it must be different training. Down here EVERY time I've ever had a traffic-related LEO encounter (including a wreck, DUI checkpoints, "ordinary" traffic stops, and one time simply being broken down on the side of the road) they have asked where I'm going. Oh wait, there was that one time I was pulled over while delivering pizza....he didn't ask that time, but it was pretty obvious that I was working.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    mattwestm :
    The road block was a direct police action and you are required to tell him you have a concealed gun and a permit. He will ask to see the permit if he wishes.
    It was probably a DUI check point and he just wanted to have you say something.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I greatly dislike "Your papers, please!" check points.
    Maybe so, they do find a lot of people that should not be driving that way. DUI, revoked licence, ect

Topper

I can understand your being upset with the "A lot of LEO are against CCW, and most of those are ones who don't have the right temperment for the job." statement. You didn't agree with it and thought it a blanket statement.

There are a lot of comments in this thread, but if you study them you will find that an LEO made that statement.

I don't understand how "why do you carry" is a legitimate question. Once it is shown that the person has a legitimate CWP that really should be the end of that discussion.

Why not simply ask "why are you doing something that is legal"?

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Maybe so, they do find a lot of people that should not be driving that way. DUI, revoked licence, ect

I can see your point with that, but driving is considered a priveledge. Not a right. They should ask to see your DL, insurance, registration. But should you feel like you have answer questions about where you have been and where you are going when part of living in a free society entitles you go where you want when you want? I didn't have to apply to a right to live permit. I didn't apply to a right to go somewhere other than my home. I didn't apply to a right to be somewhere. Those rights are assumed. And by assumed, I mean we feel entitled to those rights due to the society we live in. And we feel that those are inalienable rights that we are willing to fight for as we have done for hundreds of years.
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links