Stopped last night - Page 4

Stopped last night

This is a discussion on Stopped last night within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thumper "why do you feel the need to carry?" Personally, I have heard that same question from an officer and it was ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    "why do you feel the need to carry?" Personally, I have heard that same question from an officer and it was more of a statement of disapproval that an actual question. Attitude is everything!
    That's the key for me...respect earns respect.
    Let me add to the "I dislike the 'your papers please' check points"...I am always polite.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Maybe I'm having a bad day, but I would be tempted to answer his question, "Where are you going?" with "None of your business."

I don't want to make an officer's job harder, but this really grates on my nerves.
    Temped? Maybe. However, 1) the individual LEO didn't just decide to to set up the "Your papers, please!" check point; and 2) nothing to be gained.

So, your "I don't want to make an officer's job harder" and practical patience are the correct drivers of politely/maturely dealing with the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I greatly dislike "Your papers, please!" check points.
    + 1 But IMHO (and I assume yours) it's not a hill worth dieing over [or the lesser equivalent, in this case].
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I am aware that I need to disclose to law enforcement, I just was unsure about a roadblock situation. Another reason I was unsure is because he didn't ask for any ID.

I felt he was rude because of his overall demeanor. When he asked why I feel the need to carry, he asked in a very rude way. It caught me off guard. I am never rude with an LEO because that makes the situation worse.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I think it's great that you disclosed. There's nothing like a bit of courtesy to those in uniform, especially since it's the law in NC. As for the officer asking "why do you carry?"....Sounds to me like he's just doing his job. He may have sounded short or curt in his voice and questioning, but the bottom line is he has a job to do. Why should it grate on your nerves when an officer does his job? We may not always agree with it, or the way he accomplishes it, but if you approach the situation with a positive attitude and a smile in your voice, it can go along way towards diffusing a percepted "rude" approach from the officer and turn it in to a pleasant encounter with no questions left in your mind that he is there to protect and serve. I didn't see any "humor" in the OP's reply, just a statement of fact. Of course that could be interpreted differently by different individuals..i.e. individuals on this forum or cops. As for checkpoints and their perceived "intrusion" on our lives...SOO FREAKIN WHAT!!! It's a tool that is used by police forces nationwide to accomplish their job...serve and protect. I don't hear any kudos on them when they remove five or six drunken drivers from the road at these checkpoints, only derisive comments on how it sorely inconveniences you to have to stop, engage in "rude" conversation, present your "papers" and on and on and on...What a pathetic side that folks show sometimes. Of course, if the removal of that same drunk from the road, prevented your lovely daughter or strong strapping All American quarterback from being killed in a head on collision, then I would suppose everyone would be alllllllllllll appreciative of what a good job was done to save their family members from death...What's wrong with this picture???

Now, I have a question...why all of a sudden is there all the "flaming" of LEO's on here. Folks in uniform, whether they be Paramedics, LEO's, Military, Firemen, Nurses, or any others in uniform, sometimes have a dang thankless job to do and seem to catch the butt end of society's etiquette, UNLESS, they perform something extraordinary for an individual or an individual family member. Just don't comprehend these feelings. I guess in my age I was raised to respect a uniform and look to them for assistance in time of need. They may not always provide it, but that's what I was taught and that's the way I approach em! Take a look at your own profession in life. Is everyone within your profession a fine upstanding member of the community? one that you would have your daughter bring home and say "Daddy and Mommy, this is my husband to be". I think not!!!! There are crooked real estate people, embezzeling bankers, shister mechanices, and on and on and on... There are pricks everywhere and in all walks of life and in every profession around. Just seems that more "PRICKS" are rising to the surface here in the forums lately! Kinda detracts from why we are all here...I guess everyone has an opinion...I reckon that's why I served 20+ years in the military, to allow all of us to have the right to say and think what we desire because the Constitution says we can and I swore to defend the Constitution...Thanks for the rant of an ole man!!! JMO
    First off, Thank You for your service. By default, I respect those who wear the uniform. I do not, however, give them a pass on transgressing the Constitution, just because 'they have a job to do'. I too, have a job to do, however, I abide as best I can by the laws, and by the Law. Disregarding my 4th Amendment rights, because it is an effective tool for catching drunks, is, and always will be, unlawful. It may be considered legal by the courts, but this doesn't mean it's Lawful.

The German soldiers who were manning the ovens, they had a 'job to do' too.

If I recall correctly, and I am sure I am, the US Supreme Court had a ruling on the DUI check points no too long ago. They said the check points "probably" did violate the constitution, but they were going to allow them to continue because of the public good they did. Nice to see them admit they ignore the constitution and do as they please.

In the year before I came over I encountered 2 DUI check points because I worked till closing at a gun shop/range, and both times I rolled down the side window, turned on the dome lights and proceeded to stop point. One asked "Where are you going" and the other "Where are you coming from"; both got the same answer "No officer, I have not been drinking tonight". Where are you going grinned like he got me and said "That's not the question I asked" I said "I know what you asked but that is the only answer you'll get, and it is really what you wanted to know isn't it?" He gave me a dirty look and waved me on. Where are you coming from just smiled and said "have a nice night". Funny thing, neither one asked for my papers.

For those that say "Well it helps catch the bad guys"; so would going around the county kicking in doors and searching for meth. The question is, just how much freedom are we are willing to sacrifice to catch the bad guys? Evidently "papers please" on the road is OK with a lot of people.

Man some of you people are long winded. I've never had a cop (or anyone else for that matter) ask me why I carry but my answer will be "Because I want to."
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Please do not make blanket statements about LEO's.
    My statement was "A lot of..." What is incorrect about that? Would it be safe to say that "at least" 1,000 LEOs in the US think civilians shouldn't be allowed to CC? That to me is a lot.

We do have a job that is dangerous, and puts us around bad people on a regular basis, but this does not give us permission to be hateful.
    Actually, statistically your job is 14th on the most dangerous list, behind parks & rec workers, electricians, roofers, etc. The authority you have means we get to expect more of you. If my roofer has a bad day, my roof leaks. If you have a bad say somebody may die or have their constitutional rights violated.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Just be glad he didn't draw down on you, get you out and prone you out.
    There'd be some hell to pay if that happened to me. My attorney and I would be at City Hall the next morning demanding at least an apology from the officer who was "having a bad day," or for him to be asked to find a line of work more suitable to his lack of self-control.

At least in FL., We Do Not Have to notify ; ) Been through about 5 in the last 35 years. The last one I came through was during the afternoon Had DL/Ins & Reg. in hand the oficer said "Just licence" Never took em, Just looked at em ; )

Sometimes you'll run into a LEO that Just got on a 12hr shift & can be a little Cranky That's how it goes, Driving is a Privleage Not a Right.

As far as ?#1 is the norm ?#2 Well would never Or Has Never came up, Just
    Got to love N/FL.
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Now for my 2 cents.

I have a friend who is a police officer in Florida and at times he can appear to have that that surly attitude. It is because he deals with people who have bad attitudes towards Law Enforcement much of the time and it gets old. I think I would do the same, or probably much worse, but that's just me.

I know, I deal with the public on a regular basis with my job at the County Assessor and people just don't like anybody who has ties to Government. I too have used a curt, short and professional sounding voice with a bit of smart aleck thrown in due to the stupidity of those who are talking to me and acting like I just shot their best friend. If they have a problem with LEO's and the like, then it's usually their problem not the officer.

This LEO was probably tired, had dealt with people who do not like road blocks or check points or just LEO's in general doing their job and it just so happend that when the OP came along, it was the last straw most likely. A series of coincidences and not aimed at putting down a law abiding concealed carry citizen. Maybe the person before the OP showed up was rude, crude and socially unacceptable. Who knows?

I for one don't get offended when someone LEO or not asks "Why do you carry a gun?" I just don't let it bother me and just let it go.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

3D
    I live in NC.
    When I was stopped by LE I notified him I have CCW permit, and that I did have a gun while my hands remained on the steering wheel in plain sight.
    His only question to me was "where is the gun?" (reasonable question I thought).

My answer to 'why do you carry a gun?', if it would have been asked, is the simple answer to the question__to defend myself and my family against a deadly threat___.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Roadblocks are a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of life. So is standing in line at a fast-food joint, Waiting for the computer to download, and a buch of other stuff. Deal with it. If gets the drunk who might kill me off the road, I can put up with an occasional license check. If they bother you that much, avoid driving around late at night when the bars are closing, the usual time they set them up.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

"Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?"

For pretty much the same reason you do.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

That's how it goes, Driving is a Privleage Not a Right.
    Driving is not a privilege granted by cops. It is granted by law and if a person is obeying the laws, it effectively becomes a right.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Now for my 2 cents.

I have a friend who is a police officer in Florida and at times he can appear to have that that surly attitude. It is because he deals with people who have bad attitudes towards Law Enforcement much of the time and it gets old. I think I would do the same, or probably much worse, but that's just me.

I know, I deal with the public on a regular basis with my job at the County Assessor and people just don't like anybody who has ties to Government. I too have used a curt, short and professional sounding voice with a bit of smart aleck thrown in due to the stupidity of those who are talking to me and acting like I just shot their best friend. If they have a problem with LEO's and the like, then it's usually their problem not the officer.

This LEO was probably tired, had dealt with people who do not like road blocks or check points or just LEO's in general doing their job and it just so happend that when the OP came along, it was the last straw most likely. A series of coincidences and not aimed at putting down a law abiding concealed carry citizen. Maybe the person before the OP showed up was rude, crude and socially unacceptable. Who knows?

I for one don't get offended when someone LEO or not asks "Why do you carry a gun?" I just don't let it bother me and just let it go.
    In my business 5% of my customers are goofy and deserving of no respect. If I use them as an excuse to treat the other 95% like dirt, I'll have to close my doors soon thereafter. Local government should be operated the same way. 1 motorist in 10 treating a cop with disrespect is no reason to treat the other 9 disrespectfully, and if a cop has no more self-control and professionalism than to let a few mouthy motorists affect his whole attitude, does he really have the emotional tools necessary to be an LEO whom we trust with life and death decisions?

My philoshy on society:
    1. It's way too easy to get a drivers license.
    2. It's way to easy to become and remain a teacher.
    3. It's way too easy to become a cop.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links