Is it worth applying for a TX CHL? - Page 2

Is it worth applying for a TX CHL?

This is a discussion on Is it worth applying for a TX CHL? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Look here. You should find your answers there. http://www.texaschlforum.com/...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth applying for a TX CHL?

Look here. You should find your answers there.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

VIP Member
    Let's put it this way, spending 140 bucks on obtaining a Texas CHL might save you a lot more money, and some time and freedom, than trying to guess whether what you are doing is O.K., or even knowing that it is o.k. presuming that an LEO who stops you will think it is O.K.

You live in Texas now and common sense would suggest that you should be licensed here, that anything else you do is a "shortcut" and could lead to misunderstandings.

Now, you do not have to give up your AZ license if AZ doesn't require you to remain an AZ resident. This isn't like DLs where you can only have one. So your best and safest approach is to keep the AZ license, get a TEXAS DL, STATE ID, and CHL, and you are good to go. I mention the state ID because it is always handy to have an extra ID in case a wallet gets lost or lifted. It is just a few bucks and it is good indefinitely. You can if you wish get your CHL keyed to the state ID instead of the DL, but that is your choice---you'll need to carry the DL with you with the CHL when you are driving so might as well key the CHL to that instead of state ID.

VIP Member
    this situation falls back on AZ law

since you are no longer a resident there is the license you obtained still "good"?
    does AZ law say your residence license is null and void if you establish residency in another state? in that case would you have to get a AZ non-res permit instead?
    either way...Texas will honor the AZ permit but you need to know if your current AZ permit is still valid since you live here now
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

from what i understand, tx is not a must inform state anymore!
    Dont mistake Kindness for Weakness!!!
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9
    Ruger SP 101 2 1/4" 357 mag

Quote Originally Posted by chepo06 View Post
    from what i understand, tx is not a must inform state anymore!
    Not true. There is just no longer a penalty for not informing.

Isn't that pretty much the same thing as being not being required to inform?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Isn't that pretty much the same thing as being not being required to inform?
    Yes and no, CT. Here's the deal. Anyone allowed to own a gun can have it in the car under what has been traditionally considered
    a traveling exemption. It used to be that the definition of traveling meant you really had to be traveling; that has been fixed.

If you have a gun in the car and are not a CHL holder, the goofy law states that you don't have to inform. However, keep in mind that the instant you step out of your car with the gun on your person, you are violating the law with limited exceptions. The travel thingy isn't a license to conceal carry.

So, if you want to conceal carry you need a CHL. The older CHL law (And the present one) have a notification requirement. You must notify if you are a CHL holder and armed.

Now, that is really odd considering that the traveler didn't have to notify. So the legislature, in its incredible rational and clear wisdom, instead of requiring everyone to notify, and instead of requiring all to have a CHL, simply eliminated the penalty.

So now, a CHL holder MUST notify, but there is no penalty for failure to notify.

Only the Texas Legislature could come up with that illogical monstrosity, but it is what the law is.

I firmly believe that the wise course of action for all is to obtain the CHL license, follow the law and display it when appropriate, and thereby eliminate a whole bunch of "what if" scenarios and confusion. Its not like getting a CHL is a big difficult deal.
    Moreover, there is value to taking the course and doing the range test. And if you can't pass either, you have no business carrying.

Here is what the law says about informing a peace officer.

Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
    Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 10.01(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 9.17(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1999.Amended by: Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1146, Sec. 12A.02, eff. September 1, 2009.
    So, by law you are required to display your license when asked for ID if you are carrying a concealed handgun, on or about your person. So even if it is off your person in the car, and accessible your required to display your CHL.

Hopyard explained the reasoning behind the removal of the penalty, but that doesn't change the law on the books. Texas is still a must inform state.

The DPS officer who was teaching the CHL instructor course this summer had some pretty good thoughts on the matter. If your stopped and you just give them your DL when the officer runs your DL it will come up that your a CHL holder. Then if the officer comes back and asks you if you have a handgun in your car or on your person, and you say, yes, they are probably going to to ask why you didn't display your CHL like the law requires. You have just violated the above GC section of the Texas Statues.

You just gave the officer more cause to look at you closer and determine if you might be breaking some additional laws. You might be removed from you car, questioned, searched for other weapons ect., who knows. For what? Not handing the officer a second piece of plastic when you gave him your DL.

Not a good idea in my book.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

A couple of quick points.....
    First, with a valid out of state CHL you do not have to wait six months to get your Texas CHL. I got mine after being here about four months.
    Second, yes Texas residents can legally carry on a recognized, valid, non resident permit from another state. But that might be changing soon. KHOU did a story a few weeks ago about how people are getting Utah permits and carrying without having to qualify. They interviewed a CHL instructor here who said that he and other instructors believe it is a safety issue and they are asking the folks in Austin to pass a law next session requiring Texans who wish to carry to have a Texas CHL. (Go figure)
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I would apply because:

1) All documentation should match - DL, CHL, TX ID, etc... It removes margin for error or interpretation upon an encounter with a LEO.

2) You will then posses yet another item with the word "Texas" on it.
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    A couple of quick points.....
    First, with a valid out of state CHL you do not have to wait six months to get your Texas CHL. I got mine after being here about four months.
    Second, yes Texas residents can legally carry on a recognized, valid, non resident permit from another state. But that might be changing soon. KHOU did a story a few weeks ago about how people are getting Utah permits and carrying without having to qualify. They interviewed a CHL instructor here who said that he and other instructors believe it is a safety issue and they are asking the folks in Austin to pass a law next session requiring Texans who wish to carry to have a Texas CHL. (Go figure)

I figured it was just a matter of time until someone proposed something like that. I didn't know that I did not have to wait. I spoke to an officer at my local DPS branch and he said the 6 month residency requirement stood no matter what. Sweet. I should have just done it when I had more $$!!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by TXcougar8000 View Post

2) You will then posses yet another item with the word "Texas" on it.
    What other reason could anyone possibly need?

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    I figured it was just a matter of time until someone proposed something like that. I didn't know that I did not have to wait. I spoke to an officer at my local DPS branch and he said the 6 month residency requirement stood no matter what. Sweet. I should have just done it when I had more $$!!
    They might have changed it since I got mine in spring of 2007. It was not a commonly known section of the code back then. I had to point it out to my instructor. I would not have known about it if I had not used my Florida non resident permit as one of my IDs when I was getting my drivers license. The nice trooper checking documents asked me if I was planning on getting my Texas CHL. When I told her as soon as my six months was up I would. She then told me about the section of code and even wrote the section down for me. Then all I had to do was find a class that wasn't already full!

VIP Member
    One thing overlooked in all of this. Regardless of whether you possess a gun in the car under the travel rules, or possess under the CHL rules, it is very probable that the first words you are going to hear when pulled over are, " do you have any weapons on you?" Sometimes that comes after, "I stopped you because..." but it is going to come at some point.

When that question is asked, you must answer it truthfully, so in a certain sense it really doesn't matter much whether you have to notify first or can wait till you are asked. YOU ARE GOING TO NOTIFY.

With a CHL you can easily answer an uncomplicated " I have a CHL, I'll show it with my DL when you allow me to go to my wallet, the gun is.... wherever." Everyone stays safe and happy.

Without the CHL, things can get much more interesting real fast. For one thing the officer might want to inquire whether you are legal to have that gun in your possession. Are there warrants out for you? Do you have a record? Are you a good-guy traveler or a BG breaking the law and in unlawful possession. The CHL pretty much answers all that and tend to keep officer and driver safe.

Personally, I wish the legislature had not allowed unlicensed car carry beyond to and from your business or the range, but they did what they did.

And as far as recognizing out of state permits in lieu of a Texas CHL when you are a Texas resident, I think that needs fixing.
    TXcougar8000 is right. DL, CHL, State ID should all be the same. That seems to me to just good sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    I have a TX driver's license and an AZ permit. According to http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf "Texas Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses"
    I'm pretty sure you become a Texas resident after 6 months in a given year of living/working there, which would make you a resident and therefore they wouldn't care too much about your AZ permit. It might be a little bit of a gray area, but I wouldn't chance that one personally.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links