My wife's attitude on firearms - an update.

This is a discussion on My wife's attitude on firearms - an update. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well another + for personal defense and firearms for my wife. Previously I had posted that me being out of town during the week had ...

Well another + for personal defense and firearms for my wife. Previously I had posted that me being out of town during the week had convinced her that she needed the loaded shotgun and ultimately a HCP.

Well when it came down to it and I was checking her out on the "crowd pleaser" she decided it was too "dangerous" to have loaded. I told her "your choice", holstered my Glock and went out of town, can't argue her out of her attitude.

Well here I am out of town and guess what! Circumstances have changed her mind!

The "lawn guy", one of my friends, was in the backyard mowing with his truck and trailer full of tools, mowers, etc. parked in the driveway. He came around the house just after a BG had smashed his window to break into the cab of his truck in broad daylight! The BG ran off but it freaked my wife out since she just happened to look out and witness the incident!

She called me and told me the story as well as telling me that my buddy was loading the "crowd pleaser" for her after they made the police report! I guess she has finally really gotten "religion"!

Oh and the nice LEO that responded told her that he was going to do more drive by's, do some "door knocks" occasionally and put her on the "watch list" due to the recent crime in our front yard! Now THERES protecting and serving a very nice young man if I do say so!

I feel better about her being alone at home now!

The Duke

Oh and this is another of the 20+ thefts, break-ins, home invasions we have had. So you can imagine how I feel!
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

Senior Moderator
    Well, unfortunately, that's what needs to happen for some people to realize that violence and bad things really can touch them.

Good for her for "seeing the light."

Nuttin' like a little crime in your own backyard to wake up the sheeple.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

GM
    It is a shame that something bad needs to happen before some people can see the reality.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    It is a shame that something bad needs to happen before some people can see the reality.
    Isn't is always like that? One would think that today's TV news reports would be enough, but apparently only the 'real' thing...up close and personal can do it for some.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Isn't is always like that? One would think that today's TV news reports would be enough, but apparently only the 'real' thing...up close and personal can do it for some.
    With the preponderance of bad news today most people are numb. They rationalize that "it happened to someone else, but that won't happen here." Until it does. Then those that they label paranoid are now called "well prepared."

Too bad it took a bad experience, but at least she is on board. Now I just have to get my girlfriend there...

Kind of like how cities put up new traffic lights at intersections.........only after a certain number of accidents occur at that specific location.
    There's a time for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeShooter View Post
    Well when it came down to it and I was checking her out on the "crowd pleaser" she decided it was too "dangerous" to have loaded. I told her "your choice", holstered my Glock and went out of town, can't argue her out of her attitude.
    I "met my wife in the middle" on this one. She is was not very comfortable with the shotgun loaded. And in reality, a fully loaded shotgun can go off when dropped. There are no drop proof precautions in a shotgun, like a handgun. And we are on a concrete slab with tile floors, bad combination. So we went just a step above cruiser ready. The magazine is loaded, chamber empty, safety on. I taught her to go from that condition to loaded and fireing. After a few rounds to get her comfortable, I started leaving the chamber empty and making her push the slide release, rack the slide, push the safety, and fire. Now I just hand her the shells and the shotgun and step back. Something to think about. We also do a little dry running of the gun outside of the range time. Which reminds me, it's about time to do that.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

My fiance use to be totally against guns. Not that she was an anti-gun advocate, but she just didn't like them. One night I tried to get her more comfortable with a gun. I had my Glock out, locked back the slide to show her it wasn't loaded. She was pretty nervous at this point. Then what do I do?! Instinct set in and I hit the slide release and it made that hollywood "i'm gonna Eff up someones world" sound and she started crying. She was just deathly afraid of guns. I told her I was going to get my CCP and she said "what do you need that for?". I told her to be prepared. I said you aren't going to understand until something happens. Now after I got my CCP and she became more comfortable its better. I even took her to the range and on her 3rd shot she hit a bullseye at 15 yards, beginners luck i suppose, But she hit within the first 4 rings all 20 rounds. But she went from total don't want to look at a gun; to shooting, so now I gotta get her to take that Womens only CCP class and see how that goes.

It's a shame it took something bad to happen, but it's great that nobody was hurt. Painful enough to learn the lesson, but not so much that someone was injured.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

MJK
    Hey, Ram Rod...in StL they put stoplights at every intersection just for the fun of it. They also go out of their way to make sure the lights are timed so that you hit red at every opportunity. Guess it's their way of "going green."

It's called denial.

Nobody wants to believe that crime can happen to them or in the "safe" neighborhood they live in. I have had convesations with many an anti-firearm person that truly believes it will never darken their door and there is no need to have a gun for protection. Denial plain and simple.

Denial gets crushed however when it does indeed happen and then they can't obtain and learn to use a firearm fast enough. It's just simply a fact of life due to the country we live in. We are given the illusion that we are all safe and the Gov't, Police or all agencies are there to protect and save. It is simply not true and until something happens, people will go on believing it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    It's called denial.

Nobody wants to believe that crime can happen to them or in the "safe" neighborhood they live in. I have had convesations with many an anti-firearm person that truly believes it will never darken their door and there is no need to have a gun for protection. Denial plain and simple.

Denial gets crushed however when it does indeed happen and then they can't obtain and learn to use a firearm fast enough. It's just simply a fact of life due to the country we live in. We are given the illusion that we are all safe and the Gov't, Police or all agencies are there to protect and save. It is simply not true and until something happens, people will go on believing it.
    You're right except for "the country we live in". It's just human nature that there will be criminals and victims. Those countries that deny their citizens (subjects) the right to own a firearm to defend themselves with allow the criminal element to roam free with no worries. The few countries like our own that don't totally eliminate the right of the people to bear arms at least give us the ability to defend ourselves.

Glad it was the truck window and not the house window. BG's usually don't sit around once they get in to wait for someone to load a weapon. If she was caught trying to do that, under stress, things wouldn't be good for sure.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Links