No firearms sign at AMC Movie Theater

This is a discussion on No firearms sign at AMC Movie Theater within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Missouri, these are the regulations about posted areas: "Any private property whose owner has posted the premises as being off-limits to concealed firearms by ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: No firearms sign at AMC Movie Theater

In Missouri, these are the regulations about posted areas:

"Any private property whose owner has posted the premises as being off-limits to concealed firearms by
    means of one or more signs displayed in a conspicuous place of a minimum size of eleven inches by fourteen
    inches
    with the writing thereon in letters of not less than one inch."

Even though you weren't in Missouir (I'm assuming), I feel like a 3x3 inch sign would not pull any legal weight. JMO

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by shooter380 View Post
    In NC it is illegal to carry into any place that charges admission.
    The more I find out about NC, the more I'm beginning to realize that in NC, about the only place it's legal to carry is in one's home.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The more I find out about NC, the more I'm beginning to realize that in NC, about the only place it's legal to carry is in one's home.
    It's not quite that bad but there are some annoying restrictions.

For example:

No carry in places that charge admission.
    No carry in places where alcohol is both sold AND consumed.
    No carry while using alcohol or drugs. (unless it is prescription)
    No carry in banks.
    No carry in court houses, or the state capital or the 2 governors mansions.
    No carry on educational property
    No carry at parades, picket lines, funerals, demonstrations on private health care facilities.
    No carry in Fed buildings or in fed offices in buildings where they have space same goes for state buildings.
    No carry in law enforcement or correctional buildings.
    And finally no carry on property where there is a conspicuous notice prohibiting carry.

Ok you are right it is fairly insane

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schj98 View Post

For example:

No carry in banks.
    No carry at parades, picket lines, funerals, demonstrations on private health care facilities.
    No carry in Fed buildings or in fed offices in buildings where they have space same goes for state buildings.
    And finally no carry on property where there is a conspicuous notice prohibiting carry.

No carry in BANKS? So if I have a carry permit because I work for a company that wants me to carry the cash to the bank to make a deposit, I can't protect my employers ass-ets even though he (or she) hired me to do just that?

That is insane. Banks are one place where it makes sense to carry.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    in ohio you would be trespassing, and charged only if you refuse to leave. that is if someone spots your gun and you are asked to leave. the signs are leagal and the only real requirement is they are posted in a clear and easily seen location. a faded sign on the bottom of a door or window doesnt carry much wieght. if cited you would have to prove the sign was not posted properly.
    That's basically what it's like for most places in Arizona. There are specific gun-buster signs in bars, since it's legal to carry there. But in the theater, the sign really is insignificant unless someone asks you to leave because they see the gun. Then, if you don't leave, you can be charged with trespassing. The sign itself, by some, is considered the "request" to leave because of your firearm....so, some may say you're trespassing with your gun. But hey, concealed is concealed, right?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by shooter380 View Post
    In NC it is illegal to carry into any place that charges admission.
    We have been really considering NC as a spot to retire. Is there any hope on the legislative horizon? Bear in mind that I'll be moving FROM Florida aka The GUNSHINE state!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    No carry in BANKS? So if I have a carry permit because I work for a company that wants me to carry the cash to the bank to make a deposit, I can't protect my employers ass-ets even though he (or she) hired me to do just that?

-bigmacque

Well that depends, are you hired as a security or police officer in the performance of your duties? In Indiana when I am on duty, I have the same powers as police officers as far as carry goes(that is as far as carrying weapons only, no arrest authority, no traffic stops, no real LEO authority, just carry exemptions) on our sites. Which means that if I am hired to work at a school, I can be fully armed. If I am hired to work in a government building, I can be armed. My normal site is a state facility and we are very heavily armed there. What it boils down to is, is your company licensed and bonded? If it is and you are hired by that bank and or company to carry a firearm while doing your duties, you are exempt from the carry restriction in the bank, just like a LEO would be.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

In Florida, it's a local issue, controlled by local ordinance. That means the most it can be worth is a misdemeanor. In MY county (Miami-Dade) the ordinance reads in part: "If you proceed past the warning signs and are detected with a concealed firearm under license, you may be asked to leave the premises. If you return and are still armed and are AGAIN detected with the weapon, you may be arrested for trespass after warning..." State and federal law controls where applicable like schools or official buildings. You can carry into restaurants that serve alcohol so long as you are seated in the restaurant portion and NOT at the bar. I don't drink anyway, so that's a nonissue for me.

I'm creeping closer and closer to retirement and we're both looking forward eagerly to a move away from this area and probably out of state. We're looking to leave South Florida for a number of reasons but I guess what we're looking for is really more important than why we want to leave: A good V.A. medical facility, mountain air, cool winters (some snow but not neck deep), gun laws at least close to par with Florida and finally within driving distance of New York because as it turns out, that is where our daughter is moving for work and play. She is a new yawk kinda gal with a corporate job in high fashion -- and if you've ever seen The Devil Wears Prada you'd know what level I'm speaking of, here! So is that the impossible dream or what? Can folks from mid atlantic states still considered the "South" weigh in here? I don't think I can survive north of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post

-bigmacque

Well that depends, are you hired as a security or police officer in the performance of your duties? In Indiana when I am on duty, I have the same powers as police officers as far as carry goes(that is as far as carrying weapons only, no arrest authority, no traffic stops, no real LEO authority, just carry exemptions) on our sites. Which means that if I am hired to work at a school, I can be fully armed. If I am hired to work in a government building, I can be armed. My normal site is a state facility and we are very heavily armed there. What it boils down to is, is your company licensed and bonded? If it is and you are hired by that bank and or company to carry a firearm while doing your duties, you are exempt from the carry restriction in the bank, just like a LEO would be.
    I think that the main thrust of this thread is a discussion where ccw is outside the scope of your business function. What you say pretty much applies in all states, antigun included. If you carry a gun as part of your job in NEW JERSEY or MARYLAND or even DC and are licensed to do so, that is a nonissue. What we're discussing is a part of our private lives where we carry solely in defense of self and family not as a function to protect a client that we are paid to do.

AzB
    We went to AMC a couple months ago. I saw the sign, but since they have no weight and I was CC, I did not feel the need to change my plans.

When I got home I checked out their website. They are very anti-gun and lobby for more gun control.

We won't go back. We have a Regal theatre that is closer to us, nicer, and they have no stupid corporate policy on guns.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Senior Moderator
    These certainly aren't the way it should be, but doesn't seem that far off either:

1-No carry in places that charge admission.
    2-No carry in places where alcohol is both sold AND consumed.
    3-No carry while using alcohol or drugs. (unless it is prescription)
    4-No carry in banks.
    5-No carry in court houses, or the state capital or the 2 governors mansions.
    6-No carry on educational property
    7-No carry at parades, picket lines, funerals, demonstrations on private health care facilities.
    8-No carry in Fed buildings or in fed offices in buildings where they have space same goes for state buildings.
    9-No carry in law enforcement or correctional buildings.
    10-And finally no carry on property where there is a conspicuous notice prohibiting carry.

The only difference in Tennessee is that 1 & 4 don't apply and until just this past June, #2 applied in Tennessee. Don't know about #7.

And probably some states prohibit carry in churches; NC may be one of those states, so that might be another one to add.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    gun laws at least close to par with Florida and finally within driving distance of New York
    Whatever you do, stay out of jersey! The 2 "free" states in the northeast is PA and Delaware. Rhode Island is also free, but the further up you go means more snow.;-)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    So, if some crazy nut wants to kill a bunch of people, all he has to do is go to a facility that seats over 2500 people, put chains on the doors, and start shooting. He knows no one there will have a gun.
    A "crazy nut" can go anywhere and kill a lot of people. The odds of someone there with a CW are relatively low. The odds of that person with the CC intervening on behalf of the "bunch of people" is smaller still. So the signs and prohibitions are pretty meaningless to the "crazy nut."
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by schj98 View Post

For example:

No carry in banks.

Thank Heaven for Florida Laws. When we travel to Ohio, I try not to stop in NC because of all the places that you can't carry. It's almost as bad as Ohio!!!
    Tony

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A "crazy nut" can go anywhere and kill a lot of people. The odds of someone there with a CW are relatively low. The odds of that person with the CC intervening on behalf of the "bunch of people" is smaller still. So the signs and prohibitions are pretty meaningless to the "crazy nut."
    Which is exactly why gun regulations aren't worth a flip: anyone that is going to commit a crime with a gun is going to commit a crime, and no law is going to stop them anyway -- they're already going to commit a crime, why should they be concerned about the law at all, much less the law concerning the use of a gun to commit that crime?

Not sure why it's so hard to get gun reg nuts to understand that, other than the fact that it's impossible to rationalize with an irrational person.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links