No firearms sign at AMC Movie Theater

This is a discussion on No firearms sign at AMC Movie Theater within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Really looking forward to full capability...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: No firearms sign at AMC Movie Theater

Really looking forward to full capability
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    In Florida, it's a local issue, controlled by local ordinance. That means the most it can be worth is a misdemeanor. In MY county (Miami-Dade) the ordinance reads in part: "If you proceed past the warning signs and are detected with a concealed firearm under license, you may be asked to leave the premises. If you return and are still armed and are AGAIN detected with the weapon, you may be arrested for trespass after warning..." State and federal law controls where applicable like schools or official buildings. You can carry into restaurants that serve alcohol so long as you are seated in the restaurant portion and NOT at the bar. I don't drink anyway, so that's a nonissue for me.

I'm creeping closer and closer to retirement and we're both looking forward eagerly to a move away from this area and probably out of state. We're looking to leave South Florida for a number of reasons but I guess what we're looking for is really more important than why we want to leave: A good V.A. medical facility, mountain air, cool winters (some snow but not neck deep), gun laws at least close to par with Florida and finally within driving distance of New York because as it turns out, that is where our daughter is moving for work and play. She is a new yawk kinda gal with a corporate job in high fashion -- and if you've ever seen The Devil Wears Prada you'd know what level I'm speaking of, here! So is that the impossible dream or what? Can folks from mid atlantic states still considered the "South" weigh in here? I don't think I can survive north of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Come on up to Tennessee! I live in Sevier County next the the Smoky Mountains. The gun laws are resonable here and I believe will get more so over time.

We can now carry into bars which allows us to go the TGIFridays, The Lobster, Chili's etc without having to become defenseless victims.

As for the signs, a private business can post and the sign does carry the weight of law. If caught the penalty is a fine of up to five hundred dollars.

I would like to see this along with the city and county governments being able to post their buildings eliminated in the next legislature. The current law lists any room in which a judicial proceeding is taking place but also allows the locals to post the entire building. Why should I have to disarm to go in and renew my car registration???

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Considering that Az just became the third state to allow CC without a permit, I doubt the sign has any legal validity. However the theatre personnel may insist you leave if they notice you're packing.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    We have been really considering NC as a spot to retire. Is there any hope on the legislative horizon? Bear in mind that I'll be moving FROM Florida aka The GUNSHINE state!
    I think this fall will be telling. Wait and see. We are locked up in Raleigh with antis heading the committees that the firearms laws are going to. Our Castle Doctrine did not make it out of committee in the short session. Restaurant carry and a few others never made out of committee period. That said, it's not terrible here. Somewhere in the middle. The laws don't make a difference for me very often. I use the drive through at the bank when I can and I don't eat out much. But I would love to see them change.

To the OP, I generally don't spend my money at places that willingly post. I'll let them slide a bit if the state forces them to. I that ever changes, ie restaurant carry, I won't eat at a posted one.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

What movie did you see & how was it??
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

What the sign doesn't know won't hurt it.

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    in ohio you would be trespassing, and charged only if you refuse to leave. that is if someone spots your gun and you are asked to leave. the signs are leagal and the only real requirement is they are posted in a clear and easily seen location. a faded sign on the bottom of a door or window doesnt carry much wieght. if cited you would have to prove the sign was not posted properly.
    I don't see the phrase "asked to leave" anywhere in the law here.

(3) (a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.

Quote Originally Posted by borglyn View Post
    In Michigan you cannot carry if the entire facilty seats over 2500 people. Not just the individual theater you are in.
    The word "facility" is not defined in the statute. Some point out that facility might address the seating capacity of the entire complex. Others have stated restrictions don't work that way, and while clearly baseball stadiums, music concerts, etc. fit the restriction, a movie theater complex that has 14 theaters that sit 200 to 300 is not the intent of the law. Simply comes down to no one has been the test case, and even then, if you end up using a firearm in SD in a multi-plex, you will find trouble if you unintentionally hurt a 3rd party (but that is most likely the case in all SD shootings).

I CC in movie theaters in MI, and I'm not breaking the law. At the same time, your statement has merit, as who wants to be the test case (at the same time, who wants to be unarmed in Detroit, Pontiac, or Flint).

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    We went to AMC a couple months ago. I saw the sign...When I got home I checked out their website. They are very anti-gun and lobby for more gun control...
    Almost the same. Because of a different political issue, I don't shop at Home Depot, most of the time. It is the same with AMC. For that matter some cell phone providers and beer producers (you should see the stuff they fund). I can't always avoid AMC when with other but I don't pick AMC.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I ignore all corporate signage.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV... but, I believe that carrying in a business that posts a "no guns" sign is wrong. i would just rather ask to speak to the manager (outside), inform him or her that I will never patronize their place of business again as long as the "no guns" policy is in effect, and then take my business elsewhere.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

In Kansas there is a specic sign that the AG has approved all other signs have no legal bearing. The law recently changed and the sign now has to be at eye level to an adult and has to be on every entrance to be legal. If it is the same sign they have on the theaters here I would have carried past, since it is not illegal to do it, if I had to. However, I would have just gone down the street to the theater that allows carry, and handed AMC my NO GUNS = NO MONEY CARD and left.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

They are now robbing people inside the theaters at AMC Potomac Mills Mall. It is becoming a very rough area.

Teens robbed at Potomac Mills movie theater | InsideNova

Quote Originally Posted by primbs View Post
    They are now robbing people inside the theaters at AMC Potomac Mills Mall. It is becoming a very rough area.

Teens robbed at Potomac Mills movie theater | InsideNova
    With l the price of concessions it's always been robbery at the theater.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    ponchsox and Hoganbeg like this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    in ohio you would be trespassing, and charged only if you refuse to leave. that is if someone spots your gun and you are asked to leave. the signs are leagal and the only real requirement is they are posted in a clear and easily seen location. a faded sign on the bottom of a door or window doesnt carry much wieght. if cited you would have to prove the sign was not posted properly.
    Where do you get this? I have read the entire section of the Ohio Revised Code, and nowhere does it mention a refusal to leave as a requirement for a criminal trespassing charge. I asked a gun lawyer, Derek DeBrosse, who is also a prosecutor, and he agrees. In the state of Ohio, one is committing the crime of criminal trespass, and subject to immediate arrest upon entry into posted premises under arms.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

What state is this? I hope it's NOT NC since we plan to retire there! For right now, thank the Lord we live in the GUNSHINE STATE of Florida!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links