How much of a deterrent is the red dot of a laser? - Page 2

How much of a deterrent is the red dot of a laser?

This is a discussion on How much of a deterrent is the red dot of a laser? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The laser can be a good training tool for quick target acquisition and as you squeeze the trigger and see the laser move on the ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much of a deterrent is the red dot of a laser?

The laser can be a good training tool for quick target acquisition and as you squeeze the trigger and see the laser move on the paper you can see where your trigger issues are (Am I pulling left, anticipating, pulling too much? etc)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

The money you spent on the laser was money you should have spent on professional training and ammo.

The time you spend playing with a laser is better spent balancing a coin on the front sight during dry fire, mag change drills and drawstroke under stress practice.

Especially when you might actually Let the bodies hit the floor...

Let the bodies hit the floor

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/d/drowning_pool/#share

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    For street defense, your firearm is not a deterrent - that would be brandishing. You draw if you are prepared to fire.
    That is not entirely correct. Brandishing is using a weapon, flashing and waving a weapon, in a threatening or dangerous manner that is not related to self defense. If you are in a situation where you feel your life is in danger, and you draw your weapon, it is not required by law that you fire your weapon. If you draw your weapon you also need to be prepared to pull the trigger if you must. If drawing the weapon makes the threat go away then the weapon did its job just as well as if it had been fired. If you get out of such a situation without firing your weapon you are probably in a lot better shape than if you had. Spreading inaccuracies such as this is what causes some people to fear drawing their weapon to begin with. There is nothing illegal about drawing your weapon so long as you are legally licensed to carry it and the situation warranted the use of a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    And for the 50 of you that battered me with stop listening to the movies - I thought I inferred it in my original post that I don't think movies are accurate and was just throwing it out as an possible reason to use them. I know that if there was some time in the encounter and the other person got a dot on me I'd probably be a little more likely to comply.
    I don't think anyone was battering you. You mentioned lasers used in movies but you didn't state that you put no belief in what is shown in movies. You asked about the practicality of lasers on a CCW gun versus what is shown in movies.

I suppose, that in certain conditions, a laser dot on the chest would be a deterrent. But I can imagine this being the case only if you have the advantage over the perp and he/she is standing still.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Administrator
    YES, It CAN possibly be a deterrent and that is a proved fact but, the problem is that you'll not know when and if it will be a deterrent until you're already on the BG so that would not be my primary reason for investing in a laser.

Can the laser be a useful addition in some scenarios? Yes.
    And that would be that there are some hits that can be made with a Laser that cannot be realistically made any other way or without exposing much more of your head and body to return fire.

How COMMON would those scenarios be? Not very common but, one never knows.

So you need to weigh that likelihood against the cost of a Laser and they are not inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If you think you can't miss at 8-10 feet,it's very possible for people who don't practice shooting skills,In a stress situation,people may jerk the trigger,etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    and the laser doesnt change that...
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    The money you spent on the laser was money you should have spent on professional training and ammo.

The time you spend playing with a laser is better spent balancing a coin on the front sight during dry fire, mag change drills and drawstroke under stress practice.

Especially when you might actually Let the bodies hit the floor...

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/d/drowning_pool/#share
    No reason you can't do both and practice both.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Hey!!!!!! No fair bringing FACTS into this. People who don't own them, have never used them, and probably have never seen one have their minds made up. Me? I have two, and have used then for 7-8 years.
    Yeah, but some of us came to our opinions after owning and using them. You know what they say about assumptions, right?

Personally, I think they have a substantial advantage for LE in a lot of scenarios. Those same scenarios may apply to non-LE citizens but I'd think it would be a less likely basis. Use what you like but no gadget invented will replace better training. I haven't seen too many training schools that will allow the use of them and for good reasons.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

No reason you can't do both and practice both.
    You can't spend the same dollar twice...

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    You can't spend the same dollar twice...
    Unless you have enough of it (not that I'm rich or anything, but I can afford to do both). I already am sucking up all of the classes I can take at my local range and am heading off for a 3 day 1800 round worth course at a range a few hours away next month. If I'm already pretty active with that sort of thing, nothing says I can't put a nickel on my gun while I'm sitting at home between them.

Unless you have enough of it (not that I'm rich or anything, but I can afford to do both). I already am sucking up all of the classes I can take at my local range and am heading off for a 3 day 1800 round worth course at a range a few hours away next month. If I'm already pretty active with that sort of thing, nothing says I can't put a nickel on my gun while I'm sitting at home between them.
    If you are able to do that...rock on.

If you didn't have the bling to do both, which would you do, the classes or the laser.

kpw
    That's a lot of rounds in 3 days. Your hands are gonna hurt! 600 rounds a day with all the draws, reloads and everything else you'll be doing is going to make it tough on your hands. That's coming from a guy that swings hammers and cranks wrenches all day.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Laser?
    IMHO...
    A positive training tool, but certainly not a deterrent.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't think the experiences of LEOs is relevant to civilian CCW when it comes to lasers. Us civilians will probably be lucky to get the draw accomplished in a short time frame under stress. The LEOs can expect to be holding people at gunpoint and ordering them to surrender. I doubt if the civilian experience has that much time.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I don't think the experiences of LEOs is relevant to civilian CCW when it comes to lasers. Us civilians will probably be lucky to get the draw accomplished in a short time frame under stress. The LEOs can expect to be holding people at gunpoint and ordering them to surrender. I doubt if the civilian experience has that much time.
    I have to agree here with the LEO perspective. If said dirtbag were out in open with a dozen bright red dots on his/her chest, it could be an attitude changer. I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For LEOs I'm sure it can be a deterrent. For CCW, my view is if I have to draw my gun, than it's time to shot, not time for the BG to change his/her mind.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links