How much of a deterrent is the red dot of a laser?

This is a discussion on How much of a deterrent is the red dot of a laser? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As QKshooter said, If your pinned down it could come in handy behinde cover ; ) H/D...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much of a deterrent is the red dot of a laser?

As QKshooter said, If your pinned down it could come in handy behinde cover ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have been shooting handguns for over 35 years and never used a laser for the first 30 years.
    I now have CT lasers on two of my handguns. Has this changed in anyway the way I train and practice.......no of course not I still use the iron sights. The laser is basically a backup sighting system for low light and if needed in an "uncoventional" shooting siuation where you cannot properly aim your weapon using the iron sights, which many shootings turn into quickly. Lasers are not a substitute for proper training and pistol craft. But, they are another arrow in your CCW quiver and can possibly help save your life. I don't have to look for the dot, its where I am pointing my gun anyway but if you have to aquire the target after being shot or sitting or laying on your back or for any other unconventional position it can diffenently help you stay alive and win the fight.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    That's a lot of rounds in 3 days. Your hands are gonna hurt! 600 rounds a day with all the draws, reloads and everything else you'll be doing is going to make it tough on your hands. That's coming from a guy that swings hammers and cranks wrenches all day.
    Yea, that's what I thought too. Most of the 4h classes I've done are in the 150 round range. Half the price of this class is in the ammo. Here's the course if you're interested. It, the place and the staff get rave reviews.
    http://www.tdiohio.com/level1_3.htm#level13

They say you might not shoot quite that many, but its possible. I think I may end up wearing a shooting glove on my right hand for some of it.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    Yea, that's what I thought too. Most of the 4h classes I've done are in the 150 round range. Half the price of this class is in the ammo. Here's the course if you're interested. It, the place and the staff get rave reviews.

They say you might not shoot quite that many, but its possible. I think I may end up wearing a shooting glove on my right hand for some of it.
    You know, I've looked at that course probably a dozen times and I always thought that was a typo or something. That's more than double for most 2 or 3 day courses, even TR and Gunsite. Let me kow how ya hold up.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

You know, I've looked at that course probably a dozen times and I always thought that was a typo or something. That's more than double for most 2 or 3 day courses, even TR and Gunsite. Let me kow how ya hold up.
    In their FAQ they have a question of "Will I really shoot 1800 rounds?" They say you might not make to 1800. They may tell you to shoot 50 rounds and maybe you only shoot 35. Still sounds like a workout for my wrist.

I like my CT on my LCP. I just think of it like if someone shines the light in my eyes and you get that blurry feel. Before they fully adjust to the light, I know that I probably wont be able to see my sights on the LCP (they're almost non-existant though), but I know if its dark I will see that little red dot.

kpw
    In their FAQ they have a question of "Will I really shoot 1800 rounds?" They say you might not make to 1800. They may tell you to shoot 50 rounds and maybe you only shoot 35. Still sounds like a workout for my wrist.
    Yeah, that's still a lot. I know a couple guys that have been there for some courses and had nothing but good things to say about the place. Sounds the same on here, too.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Yeah, that's still a lot. I know a couple guys that have been there for some courses and had nothing but good things to say about the place. Sounds the same on here, too.
    The courses I've done they tell us to shoot 3-5 shots or so - not 50. It ends up being about a $1k weekend between the course, ammo and hotel, food, etc - so its not exactly cheap, but I'm hoping its worth it.

Ex Member
    Yeah, but some of us came to our opinions after owning and using them. You know what they say about assumptions, right?

So you find them a "TARGET BEACON?" They are an aid in LOW light conditions, or inside shooting where you can see your target with, or without, a laser. If you were you using yours in NO light conditions you probably shouldn't be shooting at things you can't see.

So far, the ones who say it can possibly be worth it are either LEO or talking about a paper talking about LEO experiences. In those cases it just might be. However, LEOs have different rules of engagement than CHL holders.

If a person has the initiative and it ahead of the power curve in a situation, I think it can be a deterrent. If one can only react and is behind the curve then I don't think the laser is going to help much.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    This is going to be a long month. Only nine days in and we've already started the "laser" discussion.

I vote for them.

When i went to that years ago I shot 1300 rounds in the three days.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    When i went to that years ago I shot 1300 rounds in the three days.
    How did you like the course?

How much of a deterrent is the red dot of a laser?
    I wonder just how useful they really are for a CCW gun.
    The deterrence part is going to depend on the emotional constitution of the felon who's attacking you, as to whether it'll make much (if any) difference that a laser is on the gun facing him. Who's to say whether it'll matter at all? I suppose it might, but it can't be said it'll affect the specific felon in front of you.

As for utility, some people I know have found improved aiming with such devices. I, too, am a tad more accurate with them as well, at least when taking the time to aim "small" (as with target shooting). However, when simulating stressed encounters, I more reliable strike the target when triangulating instead of specifically relying upon the sights (or laser). It comes down to the motor control and what works under stress, I think. For me, at least, I find myself less affected by the gun's sighting as opposed my comfort level and competence with use of that particular gun (ie, management of its recoil and balance, the second and subsequent shot, etc).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    So you find them a "TARGET BEACON?" They are an aid in LOW light conditions, or inside shooting where you can see your target with, or without, a laser. If you were you using yours in NO light conditions you probably shouldn't be shooting at things you can't see.
    I've thought the same thing about night sights, which is why I haven't put any on any of my handguns. If I can't see my sights without glow in the dark dots, how in the heck could I see what I'm shooting at? If you can't identify the target, should you be shooting at it? I've waffled back and forth on lasers for my carry guns, and so far I've not gone that route. One reason is I own 11 handguns, but I'd probably only consider it for the snub revolvers. As I've practiced and becomre fairly proficient with them, I've not felt the need. There could be some circustances where it would be beneficial as some have mentioned, but I haven't felt so compelled yet. It really is a personal decision and only you can weigh the pros and cons and decide if it is worth investing in or not. I'm sure there are some BGs that may be deterred by it, but that wouldn't be my reason for investing. It could be a good practice tool. Lots of pros and cons to weigh. There's no substitute for meaningful practice (not just throwing lead down range), but you may decide all things considered it is beneficial.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links