How much of a deterrent is the red dot of a laser? - Page 5

How much of a deterrent is the red dot of a laser?

This is a discussion on How much of a deterrent is the red dot of a laser? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by pirate I have been shooting handguns for over 35 years and never used a laser for the first 30 years. I now ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How much of a deterrent is the red dot of a laser?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I have been shooting handguns for over 35 years and never used a laser for the first 30 years.
    I now have CT lasers on two of my handguns. Has this changed in anyway the way I train and practice.......no of course not I still use the iron sights. The laser is basically a backup sighting system for low light and if needed in an "uncoventional" shooting siuation where you cannot properly aim your weapon using the iron sights, which many shootings turn into quickly. Lasers are not a substitute for proper training and pistol craft. But, they are another arrow in your CCW quiver and can possibly help save your life. I don't have to look for the dot, its where I am pointing my gun anyway but if you have to aquire the target after being shot or sitting or laying on your back or for any other unconventional position it can diffenently help you stay alive and win the fight.
    Finally SOME REASONABLE advice..... This is exactly what I was going to say... that and tests have shown that people (non-LEO's) have a hard time training their eye(s) to look down the front sight of the handgun. It is natural to look at where/who the threat is, not focusing on the tip of your gun.

Next time your sitting in your car, unload your gun and try to gain a GOOD sight picture and shooting stance if someone came up from the passengers side or drivers side door to carjack you or what ever.... bet you can't... This is where the laser can come in-handy... shoot from the hip or whatever stance you can get while in your car... the little red dot is where your shots will go....

As for the deterrent factor anything is possible....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

How much of a deterrent is the red dot of a laser?
    The red dot of a laser should never be used as a "deterrent". It's a tool for you, and not a threat to others. Once the "red dot" is on target, you shoot. There should be no questions as to what the red dot is or what it means once it's on target. Use your tools wisely, be wise in the way you apply your tools.

Although I've never been in a gunfight, I'm inferring from quite a bit of FOF practice that if I was ever in a gunfight, I most likely will be shooting on the move. I'm not talking about one of those goofy, mechanical one sidestep to the left or right either that you see some people doing at the range sometimes. I'm thinking more like the "holy crap I don't want to get shot" kind of sprint off the line of attack and towards cover while firing at the same time. Anyone here ever try to line up their iron sights while running almost at full speed? Its very difficult. I think this is where a laser would come in very handy.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by happydude View Post
    Although I've never been in a gunfight, I'm inferring from quite a bit of FOF practice that if I was ever in a gunfight, I most likely will be shooting on the move. I'm not talking about one of those goofy, mechanical one sidestep to the left or right either that you see some people doing at the range sometimes. I'm thinking more like the "holy crap I don't want to get shot" kind of sprint off the line of attack and towards cover while firing at the same time. Anyone here ever try to line up their iron sights while running almost at full speed? Its very difficult. I think this is where a laser would come in very handy.
    Try that at 5-7 yards with a laser, then sights and then point shooting. I know what worked best for me but see what you do with it.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

There were some young kids at an amusement park playing with lasers. I didn't happen to see them but I sure did see the red dot on my chest. It stopped me right in my tracks. Then I saw where it was coming from.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links