How many rounds through a carry gun before trade in?

This is a discussion on How many rounds through a carry gun before trade in? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my G19 for bout 5 years I'm past 30,000 rounds. Replaced the recoil spring and guide rod 2 times, simple due to wear. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds through a carry gun before trade in?

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

I've had my G19 for bout 5 years I'm past 30,000 rounds. Replaced the recoil spring and guide rod 2 times, simple due to wear. No mals but based on function check it was time to replace. I have replaced no internals such as springs, but I'm just curious if folks think there is a count that you should replace. I would love to drive this thing till the wheels fall off but would rather the wheels don't fall off when I need it!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I've had my G19 for bout 5 years I'm past 30,000 rounds. Replaced the recoil spring and guide rod 2 times, simple due to wear. No mals but based on function check it was time to replace. I have replaced no internals such as springs, but I'm just curious if folks think there is a count that you should replace. I would love to drive this thing till the wheels fall off but would rather the wheels don't fall off when I need it!
    Keep spare parts and function check your Glock twice a year. That's my RX. Glock on!

kpw
    Your about double the count of what my 19 is. I've replaced the recoil spring once. This one has some life left in it but I'm going to replace the all the springs just to make me feel better so I'll put another recoil spring in as well. As far as shelving it, not until the internal components start showing some serious wear or I find something I like better. Either way, I'll probably be quite a bit older when I do.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I have a hard time parting with a firearm that has served me well. I just keep doctoring it until I retire it. I spend to much money on guns, but way more on ammunition.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

As long as the frame is good,everything else is replaceable,new barrel slide etc.I will bet my buddys M16 has had over 250,000 rounds thru it maybe more and except for replaceing worn parts it keeps going.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You could buy a new G19 for carry and keep the older one for practice. That keeps practice somewhat consistent and if you have a parts failure on the range, no big deal. Of course, you need to run a certain amount of ammo through your carry piece.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

GM
    To me the only important is that the firearm works properly.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I took the Glock Armorer Course, and we were warned that Glocks should be replaced every 2 - 4 million rounds.
    Actually, learn to service your own (simple process), replace parts as needed, and plan on handing your Glock down to your grandson/granddaughter.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; August 14th, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    To set your mind at ease, American Handgunner once did a torture test on a Glock. After firing over 170,000 rds, it was still functioning fine. The finish was gone and a piece of the frame by the mag well had fallen off, but it still functioned.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

It is another reason to get a second Glock though !

I'd replace it as soon as I saw the word "Glock" on it!

Rob99, congrats on being able to shoot so much. That's fantastic. You might consider replacing the trigger spring. That would cost you about $3 and 5 minutes. I have heard of trigger springs breaking, but it's never happened to me.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I didn't think you had to fix a Glock.

I've heard rare stories of trigger springs breaking (but the gun still kept firing) and the occasional replacement of the recoil spring, but really, what's to break? An overhaul with all new springs isn't going to hurt, especially if it boosts your confidence.

It's kind of like replacing all the light bulbs in the house every month so they don't burn out. If it bothers you, set a round count (50,000?) and have the old dog resprung. Parts are cheap.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Replace the springs as needed, and keep the pistol. If it is reliable and still shoots accurately, what do you expect from a new pistol that your old, faithful one cannot deliver?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

If you are really concerned, retire that handgun to the range bag and get a new one... Or just get a new one because you can... Or you can give your old one to me and get a new one... If you're giving me the old one, then it is DEFINITELY time to replace it!
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links