First encounter with LEO's

This is a discussion on First encounter with LEO's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was coming home from catching Adam Sandler's lastest (CLICK) around midnight tonight when I came across a sobriety check point down the road from ...

I was coming home from catching Adam Sandler's lastest (CLICK) around midnight tonight when I came across a sobriety check point down the road from the theatre. The state troopers (OH) were stopping and questioning each driver in every car.

In the Buckeye State, you have to declare to the officer (driver and even if a passenger) that you have a permit and whether you are armed.

As the officer approached my car, the window was down, interior light was on, and both hands were on the steering wheel.

LEO: "This is a sobriety checkpoint - can I see your license and regisration, please?"
    ME: "Certainly, offiicer, but I must tell you that I have a CCW, but I am not carrying."
    LEO: "Never mind with the license and registration. Have you been drinking tonight?"
    ME: "No sir."
    LEO: "How long have you had your CCW?"
    ME:"Since February, sir."
    LEO:"Have a good evening"
    ME:"Thank you, Officer, you too and stay safe!"

A pleasant learning expierience that was passed with flying colors! Hats off to all of our LEO's!!!

[mods-move at your discretion]

Oh, yeah, unless you're a die-hard Sandler fan, wait till this one hits DVD!!!!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Assistant Administrator
    BH - I think this could fit OK in Concealed Carry Issues.

Sounds like a good cop you got and a nice uneventful stop.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

And why were we not carrying?

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Like Ti Carry asked........ why weren't you carrying?

Be careful out there.......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    While reading this, I first questioned why you declared that you weren't carrying. Then I realized that it was just to see the COP's reaction to your CCW. It makes it a little easier when you don't have your gun, just in case you get a goofball that wants to cavity search you just because. Without your gun, they should be a little easier to deal with.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I got stopped here in Fla and I don't have to tell the LEO if I'm carrying but I do.
    But the time I was stopped I wasn't carrying. The lovely (yes a she type) proceeded to rip me a new one for not carrying. She was into the what if I was in trouble and you drove by without a gun. You couldn't do a thing to help me. Oh I didn't get the ticket.
    Well 2 weeks later there she was again at a sobriety check. She comes running up to my car telling me to show her my gun and if I don't have it she's going to find a way to write so many tickets I'll never drive again. I pull out my 1911 and she just looks and says "That's what I'm talking about". When I see her we still laugh about it. But.. she checks me to make sure I've got something.
    Every time I've been stopped here in Fla I've never gotten a ticket and most times not even a warning. We always wind up talking guns. The LEO's in my area would love to have 1911's.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Here in my home state of Tennessee we have no duty to inform but I have asked several LEO friends of mine what they thought and all of them have told me that it considered a courtsey to inform the officer. Thus far I have not been stopped and hope to keed it that way.

About a month ago, while on my way back to Missouri from Texas, I was stopped for speeding (and I was ) by a highway-patrollman in Oklahoma. In OK, you are required to inform LE that you are carrying (I checked before the trip). Anyway, when he approached and asked for my license, I informed him that I had a CCW and that I was carrying. At this point he said that he had stopped me for speeding but that he was just going to let me off with a warning. He was very polite the whole time.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    And why were we not carrying?

Ti

TI & FastDraw, you've got me!!

I don't like Ohio's 'in plain sight' law and the theatre is a 'no-carry' zone. I love movies, but we only have 1 theatre in town.

(Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    While reading this, I first questioned why you declared that you weren't carrying. Then I realized that it was just to see the COP's reaction to your CCW.

Jarhead, we're required in OH to declare even if not carrying. Also, if a LEO runs our plates, information comes up that the vehicle's owner has a CCW. I don't know whether they were running plates at the checkpoint or not, but I didn't want to take that chance. I wasn't going to mention the CCW at all, but figured that I'd follow the rules so that I didn't get burned.

(Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Three times a charm..... The first stop by a Texas DPS Trooper was for a taillight out. I handed him the CHL first then my license and proof of insurance. He thanked me for then heads up and let me go.

The second was for the same taillight going home the same evening but by a Harris County Deputy. I repeated the heads up info. The Deputy looked at me kinda funny and asked how long I have been exposed to handguns. I said I shot my first handgun at the age of 10 and have done so consistiently since. I am 49. He said thank you and have a safe evening.

The third was by a Victoria Police officer. I handed him the credentials as required by law and he never even told me what he stopped me for but asked what I was carrying. I told him I had my XD-45 on my hip and my Taurus PT-145 in my pocket. He just smiled and said well sounds like you are well equipped. Handed me my cards back and said have a great day.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Links