is your name in the CC database now on the internet? - Page 2

is your name in the CC database now on the internet?

This is a discussion on is your name in the CC database now on the internet? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DoctorBob <snip> Interestingly, Tennessee, Indiana and South Dakota databases are also available on the net. How about your state. Are the data ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is your name in the CC database now on the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    <snip>
    Interestingly, Tennessee, Indiana and South Dakota databases are also available on the net.

How about your state. Are the data public records available to anyone?
    Umm, SD list is not available any more, that I can find. And I live here. A list was made available in 2006 by one trashy newspaper. And since then, a law was passed that made maintaining any list or database by any state agency illegal. Since then, a LOT more permits have been issued.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I don't have my permit yet (hopefully it'll be here in a month) but the people who we just bought our house from have their names on the list with my current address. On a positive note though, six people on my road in my rural town have their permit so that's good I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    Not in Utah.

53-5-708. Permit -- Names private.
    (1) (a) The bureau shall maintain a record in its office of any permit issued under this part.
    (b) Notwithstanding the requirements of Subsection 63G-2-301(2)(b), the names, addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, and Social Security numbers of persons receiving permits are protected records under Subsection 63G-2-305(10).
    (2) The bureau shall immediately file a copy of each permit it issues under this part.
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

Oregon: not secured.

Oregon doesn't have a statutory restriction on the release of CHL application records, sadly. It's been pushed in the legislature a few times, but so far it has come up empty.

Recently, the Appeals Court in Oregon has handed down a decision upholding the demand that the Jackson County Sheriff (in the Medford area) release the CHL records to a local newsie organization simply because they've requested it. Standing on the principle of freedom of information and government transparency, the judges in question essentially ignored the security-related realities. The government collected the data, and by God, the government should release that data to the People so the People know what's going on. Yeah. Great rationale.

Recently renewing my CHL, I was pleased to find that my county sheriff (Sheriff Rob Gordon) added a couple of new questions to the CHL application form asking whether I wanted to keep my information private even in the face of such requests to release it. You're damned right I do. (Thanks, Sheriff Gordon!)

Oregon's legislature has been co-opted by anti-American, anti-gunner types who simply don't think through their "Guns Are Bad" thoughts. Those folks can't be voted out of office fast enough to suit me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    North Carolina, LEO only also tied in with drivers license.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Pistol Permit list closed a few years ago in Alabama, thank you State Legislature..
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    We've been down this road already in Hicksville (Arkansas). Put a stop to it pretty much. Thing is....how important is it for you to remain anonymous for CC? All the rest of your life is accessible to anyone. How do you wish to make the separation? You're on the map no matter what, and there's no way you can think you're not, or believe there is a way to drop out or mask who you are. Modern times=less security. Welcome to the present. If you're here...everyone knows about you or can find out who you are and what you do. Simple. Thinking you've been violated somehow is just absurd. You put yourself on the map. Without principles, we're nothing. Stick to your principles and what's right. You'll have less questions on down the road.
    +1. Well said.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

"B. Release of names of license holders
    The Kentucky State Police must maintain a list of all license holders with pertinent information which is available to all Kentucky law enforcement agencies. This information is confidential and is not available to anyone except law enforcement agencies. Others can obtain a list of names (without an address or any other identifying information) of all license holders in Kentucky. The names of the persons requesting such a list is a public record."

~ Kentucky State Department of Criminal Justice Training Concealed Carry Deadly Weapons Summary
    http://docjt.jus.state.ky.us/forms/C...%20WEAPONS.pdf

Eh...

Could be better, but it could be a lot worse.

"Just names" doesn't give you a whole lot to work with.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Oregon: not secured.

Oregon doesn't have a statutory restriction on the release of CHL application records, sadly. It's been pushed in the legislature a few times, but so far it has come up empty.

Recently, the Appeals Court in Oregon has handed down a decision upholding the demand that the Jackson County Sheriff (in the Medford area) release the CHL records to a local newsie organization simply because they've requested it. Standing on the principle of freedom of information and government transparency, the judges in question essentially ignored the security-related realities. The government collected the data, and by God, the government should release that data to the People so the People know what's going on. Yeah. Great rationale.

Recently renewing my CHL, I was pleased to find that my county sheriff (Sheriff Rob Gordon) added a couple of new questions to the CHL application form asking whether I wanted to keep my information private even in the face of such requests to release it. You're damned right I do. (Thanks, Sheriff Gordon!)

Oregon's legislature has been co-opted by anti-American, anti-gunner types who simply don't think through their "Guns Are Bad" thoughts. Those folks can't be voted out of office fast enough to suit me.
    Multnomah county Sherriff, Bob Skipper added the questions as well!
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Not in Southern Colorado.

Our local Sheriff has refused to release that information (Las Animas County)

Skye

There are just so many reason for leaving NY State,Pity it has such beautiful Upstate country but man am I glad I moved to FL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Thing is....how important is it for you to remain anonymous for CC? All the rest of your life is accessible to anyone. How do you wish to make the separation? You're on the map no matter what, and there's no way you can think you're not, or believe there is a way to drop out or mask who you are.
    How important is it to avoid the possibility of very real reactionary backlash situations because of certain information being known in some situations? Pretty damned important, at least to me.

I've had schmucks make life difficult with things once in my life, over having found out certain non-public sort of information about me. And I have personally witnessed such crap with a couple other people, in the area of health records and status. I have heard of many scores of situations from friends and associates, as well, as many of us have. For those recalling the AIDS scare in the 1980's (through early- to mid-1990's), think back to the stigma and backlash that was all too common at the time.

NOBODY has general cause to know the specific reasons I'm seeing my doctor, or what medical condition I might have, or what future insurance hits will likely occur because I have certain medical issues. Imagine if an H.R. person got hold of such information, or a cranky bureaucrat at the wrong time in a process, or one's neighbors. One could be fired from work, have insurance become a very difficult commodity to retain or obtain, or become very unpopular in one's own neighborhood. All because the wrong schmuck found out something that's fairly private for all the right reasons. AIDS is about the best example I can think of, back in the 1980's when stigma and backlash was the norm.

Likewise, NOBODY has general cause to know that I'm license to carry a firearm. An H.R. person checking "references" on a potential new-hire might be a bit more reluctant to hire, if finding out that Johnny might be a threat for packing a gun. A homeowner's association or a landlord might well seek to make it ugly on a person for daring to bring firearms into their midst. A cranky bureaucrat might be a bit less able to remain clear-headed and effective if finding out Johnny's packing (or at least licensed to carry).

Beyond which is the simple fact that one's security preparations (ie, alarm configuration, firearms, safe) are put at risk when divulged and common knowledge. Imagine what a ridiculous nightmare it would be to have the publishing of all alarm and security configurations for all businesses and homes, based on the silly claim that since it's "government records" then by golly it should be publicized so that we can tell government's doing a good job. That's the same claim being made with CHL records. Hogwash.

Seems to me that it's only common sense for certain information to NOT be generally accessible, for these sorts of reasons. To my knowledge, it's fairly difficult to get hold of the details of someone's medical condition unless you (and/or others) break some laws to divulge/acquire the information about it. IMO, the same should be done with CHL. I don't believe there is any justifiable cause for a person or entity to know someone has CHL except for specific, case-related law enforcement situations.

YMMV. Hence the thread.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Fortunately, our once great gu'vnor signed a bill prohibiting publication of this info under FOIA for reasons of safety.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Umm, SD list is not available any more, that I can find. And I live here. A list was made available in 2006 by one trashy newspaper. And since then, a law was passed that made maintaining any list or database by any state agency illegal. Since then, a LOT more permits have been issued.
    there is a link to the database but it only includes 40,000 people who had a permit before the change in regulations. However, the link doesn't seem to work.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...ory=DATABASE01

No list in CT!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links