Is It Overkill to Carry Three?

This is a discussion on Is It Overkill to Carry Three? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hopyard Agreeing with Sixto's answer here, we do still have to hear from Grady. Grady called, he agrees with me....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is It Overkill to Carry Three?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Agreeing with Sixto's answer here, we do still have to hear from Grady.
    Grady called, he agrees with me.

"Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

It comes down to what works for you. Overkill is in the eyes of the beholder. In the 'stans, an EBR and a couple of AT4's would not be overkill.

I have opted for a range of response options. I carry a AI Stylus Kubaton for typing on my cell phone and minor attitude adjustments; a Spyderco Endura 4 for opening packages, cutting my lunch, and more serious attitude corrections; and a compact M1911 for the gravest extreme and better range. Oh, and a cell phone of course. I find that this response spectrum serves my purposes best. Only you can decide what works best for you.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

I always carry 2 but if the situation or location requires it, I go with 3. They are faster than a reload.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I don't worry about reloading and since your carrying them, I say go for it. If I ever went to Detroit, I'd probably carry at least that many plus a vest. I just might bump into some of the formal tenents at the hotel I work at, and they might be a little P.O. about having to follow rules.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I often carry two...but three like Ramrod says would be tiring to keep track of and dress around but if I could do so comfortably absolutely, and dont think it weird for you to do so.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    And I answer most questions not as an LEO, but as a regular gun toting Joe.
    What more could anyone here ask for? I'm voting for the cover of Life magazine myself. But then...the cover would be blown. I'll just keep accepting him as one of the best either way.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Not if you can keep your pants up!
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Reminds me of the movie "Unforgiven", where the 1 armed guy has 4 or 5 pistols. His buddy tells him, "Clive, you only got one arm, and you got 5 pistols......."

His response - "I don't wanna die for lack of shooting back !".

I'm all for multiples and NY reloads.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Nope, because most of us carry two and some of us carry three. I have had the G20, the G19 and a S&W snubby on my person at times....that is not the norm, but I have done it.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

I'd say, and forgive me for being harsh, that you're approaching looney tunes-ville if you think you need to carry 3 pistols while you go about your daily routine. One should be plenty for civilians, carry backup ammo if you feel the need...two firearms if you really are worried about malfunctions or want a NY re-load if needed. If you think you need three you should be opting for defensive measures(kevlar, steel plates, body armor, etc.) at that point. If you think you need three than you are going into places that you aren't comfortable with...stay out of those places. You've taken this much too far IMHO if you think you require three firearms to go about your daily activities.

Flame away if you must.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

I do at times carry 3 guns. Most generally the third is mouse gun like the Ruger LCP in a pants pocket with primary and BUG in decent quality holsters. I will say that frequently business takes me not only to unfamiliar crime ridden cities, but also I may be staying and or working in not the best part of town in those unfamiliar surroundings.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Why not one on the other ankle and in every pocket? Somewhere you have to establish a point of practicality, and only you can answer that for yourself. For me, one is fine.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    Is It Overkill to Carry Three?
    IIRC, at Ayoob's LFI course he answered the question about ease of concealment silently, by removing his three firearms one by one from each holster. Beyond this, he had a knife, a kubaton and a couple other items.

The point being: if you can easily integrate multiple weapons into your lifestyle, clothing and carry methods, there's no reason to not consider doing so other than probabilities.

Myself, I have carried two firearms, a knife and other items. Haven't carried three, nor felt the need to do so. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by halesb View Post
    Reminds me of the movie "Unforgiven", where the 1 armed guy has 4 or 5 pistols. His buddy tells him, "Clive, you only got one arm, and you got 5 pistols......."

His response - "I don't wanna die for lack of shooting back !".

I'm all for multiples and NY reloads.
    +1
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

KAK
    Well to me it seems excessive. I would rather use that pocket space for a nice multi-tool or something useful like that and I would get a cool boot knife for the ankle. I dont think you are looking for trouble and I believe you have the right to carry all three. But for me I would rather diversify. :)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links