Is It Overkill to Carry Three? - Page 3

Is It Overkill to Carry Three?

This is a discussion on Is It Overkill to Carry Three? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OVERKILL? ONLY 3? NEVER! Now, this might be overkill...:...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is It Overkill to Carry Three?

OVERKILL? ONLY 3? NEVER!
    Now, this might be overkill...:

Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    99.5% of the time I only carry one handgun, (usually a Glock 27, 23, 19 or LCP) with a spare mag, but on occasion I will carry one of these combined with the LCP.

I may be dreaming this, but I recall reading somewhere that an attorney could use the strategy of classifying someone as a "Rambo" for carrying more than one gun. In the event you had to defend yourself this would portray the multiple gun carrier as someone out looking for a gunfight. Anyone else hear this, or just rumor?
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    99.5% of the time I only carry one handgun, (usually a Glock 27, 23, 19 or LCP) with a spare mag, but on occasion I will carry one of these combined with the LCP.

I may be dreaming this, but I recall reading somewhere that an attorney could use the strategy of classifying someone as a "Rambo" for carrying more than one gun. In the event you had to defend yourself this would portray the multiple gun carrier as someone out looking for a gunfight. Anyone else hear this, or just rumor?
    You're going to get called "Rambo" just for carrying one gun.

So, if you can articulate why you carry three I see no problem. You're already going to have to articulate why you even carry one. Sometimes your training is such that you are used to reaching for a second or third gun as oppossed to reloading. Sometimes you can't reach your primary gun and have to resort to reaching for one in a different location. Sometimes one of your hands or arms is wounded, thus making use of the primary gun impractical. Sometimes the primary gun fails.

Biker

Personally, who cares how many you CC. If you want to walk around with pistols in every pocket an a shotgun stuffed up your butt, go for it. Who are any of us to say you can't. It's your comfort, or discomfort, and your life.

Now probability wise it's a little rediculous, but it could be also argued that even carrying one gun is. Who really cares though. As long as your a law abiding, sane individual I have no problem with you wallking around packin' to the max like Wild Bill Hickock....as long as I don't see it of course! Now should you be involved in a justified shootig, I could see how a prosecutor could easily try to put you away for manslaughter for a few years. To your average non-gun owning jury member, a person carrying multiple weapons will probably seem like somebody looking for trouble, ala 'Rambo'. You better have the money to get Ayoob on your case! That aside, have fun.

GM
    If you feel comfortable carrying 3 guns then carry 3 guns; if you feel comfortable carrying only 1 gun then carry only 1 gun.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    What is your opinion on carrying 3 guns? I almost always carry my 1911 IWB with tucked shirt and throw my P32 in my pocket. I also have a snubbie and have begun to carry it on my ankle some... honestly, none of the three make my normal activities uncomfortable, and all three together are not inconveinent. I can access the ankle sitting but not the pocket and not always the IWB (especially when shirt is tucked), standing is obviously makes the IWB or the pocket more accessible. Seems a little odd carrying three... It is not really a firepower issue but an accessibility issue? What is the consensus?
    I have been known to carry three guns, two knives and other items. To me overkill is when you can not react to the situation because you are carrying too much.
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

One point that occurred to me is the principle that multiple options tend to slow decision-making. The more choices a person has, the slower they tend to be in selecting one. So at least potentially, you'd perhaps be slowing your reaction time, as you attempt to figure out, "What is the best weapon to draw in this situation?"

I would think that could be overcome by some practice by testing which gun is the best choice given your body position (seated, standing, behind the wheel, whatever), and then drilling down on it.

Just a thought. But like most people said, I think overkill is really only something you can determine for yourself in your situation.

Most Cops don't even carry two. Three is way overkill. Sorry my opinion.
    One more step and it's on!

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBottoms View Post
    Personally, who cares how many you CC. If you want to walk around with pistols in every pocket an a shotgun stuffed up your butt, go for it. Who are any of us to say you can't. It's your comfort, or discomfort, and your life.

Now probability wise it's a little rediculous, but it could be also argued that even carrying one gun is. Who really cares though. As long as your a law abiding, sane individual I have no problem with you wallking around packin' to the max like Wild Bill Hickock....as long as I don't see it of course! Now should you be involved in a justified shootig, I could see how a prosecutor could easily try to put you away for manslaughter for a few years. To your average non-gun owning jury member, a person carrying multiple weapons will probably seem like somebody looking for trouble, ala 'Rambo'. You better have the money to get Ayoob on your case! That aside, have fun.
    DustyBottoms, just curious about your reply I highlited above. You and I both are in Tennessee, an Open Carry state. What is your opposition to "seeing" his gun?
    Proud NRA member

How much effort have you put into tracking your 401(k)? Your kids' homework? Your time at the gym?

Hey, you wanna carry three pistols for protection, go for it. It's your right. It's also my right to think you're a loon.

So many people here are going to go to their graves unsatisfied that they never got to shoot someone. My WWII vet Dad died in his fifties from lung cancer. Never needed to pull a gun after coming home from the war.

Lifestyles are different, but if I felt I need to tote three guns - more than ANY LEO I know - I'd find a better lifestyle.

Three ccw handguns = loony tunes.

Not one to be very tactful, I would have to say yes, you are bordering on paranoid tendancies. When we start to focus more and more on the need for another weapon cause one is not enough, and then 3 because 2 isn't enough, and then maybe an armored transport to go to kroger, where does it end? In all of this focus on more firepower, you forget about the most important weapon of all, your mind. And it sounds like you are slowly losing that!

I know of LEOs that carry three... And the taser... Seems a bit much to me, really... I mean, yes there ARE Zombies among us.... but they just don't move that fast. It's the vampires and werewolves you gotta worry about.. and unless your bullets are all silver.. well... they just won't do against them...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    DustyBottoms, just curious about your reply I highlited above. You and I both are in Tennessee, an Open Carry state. What is your opposition to "seeing" his gun?
    Yep, the great state of TN is open carry. I actually just saw my first OC'er come into work the other day and I complemented him on his nice 1911, coincidentally I was also the only person in the store who noticed he was carrying a large gun. However, OC'ing with one gun, to me, is a little different then OC'ing with multiple guns hanging off you like a old west pistolero. Thats just a little excessive for a civie to do. To me it would speak of someone with way to much to prove in life, or someone who just likes scaring the sheep. People like that are jerks to me.

Recently a man was walking in a local state park openly carrying a semi-auto, 'pistol-ized' AK variant assault rifle with a banana clip across his chest just to freak park goer's and the park staff out. Thats being a jerk-off. Just because you can legally open carry things like that, doesn't mean you should. To me, OC'ing multiple pistols would also fall into that category. Its your right to do though. I just think your being more respectfull to your local residents, LE's, etc, to carry multiple weapons covertly if you choose to do so.

Yes, I think 3 is too much. By the time you get the third one out the war will be over.

Is It Overkill to Carry Three?
    Yes.
    I'm not planning on putting down a revolution in a banana republic.
    Or causing one.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links