Is It Overkill to Carry Three? - Page 4

Is It Overkill to Carry Three?

This is a discussion on Is It Overkill to Carry Three? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Personally, for me, carrying 3 would be a bit much. Think of trying to convince a jury of your peers that, yes indeed, you had ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Personally, for me, carrying 3 would be a bit much. Think of trying to convince a jury of your peers that, yes indeed, you had to shoot the guy attacking you, but, oh, by the way, you brought enough guns for a small county police force...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Instead of that 3rd gun, how about carrying a 1st aid kit? Or a defibrillator? Or some other piece of equipment that can help deal with a life-threatening situation that doesn't involve being the victim of a violent attack? I think if the average civilian concealed carrier is considering carrying more than one, he is probably being myopic and missing the bigger picture. But if that's what floats your boat go for it.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Overkill? It's an individual thing. I do not need three guns, just extra mags.
    On some occasions I may carry an extra mouse gun, or a .357 revolver for travel to 'questionable' areas.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Not one to be very tactful, I would have to say yes, you are bordering on paranoid tendancies. When we start to focus more and more on the need for another weapon cause one is not enough, and then 3 because 2 isn't enough, and then maybe an armored transport to go to kroger, where does it end? In all of this focus on more firepower, you forget about the most important weapon of all, your mind. And it sounds like you are slowly losing that!
    I would say that in most cases it's less about being paranoid or seriously believing that you really need to carry all those guns, and more about some perception of what is cool and tactical. Somewhat reminiscent of Gecko45 the Mall Ninja IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I would say that in most cases it's less about being paranoid or seriously believing that you really need to carry all those guns, and more about some perception of what is cool and tactical. Somewhat reminiscent of Gecko45 the Mall Ninja IMO.
    It doesn't help that so many of the touted "experts" like Ayoob and that LtCol Grossman fellow lose sight of the larger message when they delve into fear-mongering, name-calling, and analysis via anecdote. Add to that whoever it was who made the one-is-none and two-is-one quip, and the guys who call other people "sheep" for not carrying. Concealed carry should be put in context with your family longevity and safety planning analysis. It's not "How to be a Pistol Fighter."

The barking loon gun nuts, mall ninjas, LEO wannabes, GI wannabes, White Knights in Waiting, and Gecko45s tend to get all the publicity and drown out the saner voices. Even guys like Nutnfancy end up looking like whackjobs when they play dress-up in all their civilian tacticool gear. They look like nutty militia members playing soldier. Grow up, for Pete's sake.

OD*
    Is It Overkill to Carry Three?
    No more so than the folks that stock pile ammo for zombie repellent.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    It doesn't help that so many of the touted "experts" like Ayoob and that LtCol Grossman fellow lose sight of the larger message when they delve into fear-mongering, name-calling, and analysis via anecdote. Add to that whoever it was who made the one-is-none and two-is-one quip, and the guys who call other people "sheep" for not carrying. Concealed carry should be put in context with your family longevity and safety planning analysis. It's not "How to be a Pistol Fighter."

The barking loon gun nuts, mall ninjas, LEO wannabes, GI wannabes, White Knights in Waiting, and Gecko45s tend to get all the publicity and drown out the saner voices. Even guys like Nutnfancy end up looking like whackjobs when they play dress-up in all their civilian tacticool gear. They look like nutty militia members playing soldier. Grow up, for Pete's sake.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm not planning on putting down a revolution in a banana republic.
    Indeed. But then again, the man with 3 guns is nothing but a sheep, a half-asleep victim just waiting for the violence of street-thuggery, sayeth The Man Who Carries Four Guns.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Agreeing with Sixto's answer here, we do still have to hear from Grady.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Grady called, he agrees with me.

It's a personal thing, and everyone's situation is different. I've reached my comfort zone with 2 full-sized autos.

Previously my main concern was an ill-timed, catastrophic failure of my EDC, and being left with only 5 shots from a revolver BUG. I didn't want to trust my life to being able to clear EVERY conceivable jam of my EDC in under a second, or of only having 5 shots available. Five shots ain't much here in St. Louis, when some shootings result in 30-40 shots in a matter of seconds.

About the only time I carry 3 now is if I'm transporting guns to someone or somewhere. On-body carry is much less conspicuous than carrying a gun case, and keeps me from laying a case down somewhere and losing control of it.

Also on occasion I may carry a 3rd gun for a family member who doesn't have a permit, but who is able to provide backup if needed, or who may become separated from me in the hysteria of a shooting. But the above examples are not the intent of this thread, that is, 3 EDC guns.

3 guns? Yes, any jury will freak, and some jurors may judge you automatically guilty even if you are carrying only 1 gun, no matter the details. As Biker said, one would need to be able to articulate the reasons.

If I were carrying mainly revolvers, yeh, I'd probably carry 3 on certain occasions because I suck at reloading revolvers. I've read that some of the old outlaws in Missouri often carried 3 revolvers. Not that we are outlaws, but when guns are needed, our need is conceivably as great as their needs were, that is, to survive the fight.

For accessibility during unique and changing circumstances like driving, getting out, and driving again, or heavy clothing being taken off and put back on multiple times in winter, yes I see the possible benefits of a 3rd gun. Otherwise, for me, it's probably not necessary.

Yeah, I said it.

VIP Member
    In my opinion it's not so much ‘overkill’ as it is a PITA. Likewise, I agree with some others in that its possible a jury could be persuaded against you. At the very least, you would be labeled as a 'gun-nut' from the very start. 'Perception trumps facts every time'.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    I'd say, and forgive me for being harsh, that you're approaching looney tunes-ville if you think you need to carry 3 pistols while you go about your daily routine. One should be plenty for civilians, carry backup ammo if you feel the need...two firearms if you really are worried about malfunctions or want a NY re-load if needed. If you think you need three you should be opting for defensive measures(kevlar, steel plates, body armor, etc.) at that point. If you think you need three than you are going into places that you aren't comfortable with...stay out of those places. You've taken this much too far IMHO if you think you require three firearms to go about your daily activities.

Flame away if you must.
    With all due respect, please do not forget that not all people think like you. We all are different; what is right for me might be wrong for you and vice versa. That you do not like something does not mean that other people must dislike it too.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I always carry two on duty. Off-duty I usually just tote my G27 and a spare mag. Ocassionally I'll add a P3AT or a J frame as a BUG if the area to be travelled is questionable. If you can carry 3 without inconvenience than have at it. However, Sixto makes a good point. Retaining 3 firearms can be a task. It may be comfortable to carry 3 for daily activities, but if you find yourself in a hand to hand situation, that is a lot of hardware to worry about.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBottoms View Post
    Yep, the great state of TN is open carry. I actually just saw my first OC'er come into work the other day and I complemented him on his nice 1911, coincidentally I was also the only person in the store who noticed he was carrying a large gun. However, OC'ing with one gun, to me, is a little different then OC'ing with multiple guns hanging off you like a old west pistolero. Thats just a little excessive for a civie to do. To me it would speak of someone with way to much to prove in life, or someone who just likes scaring the sheep. People like that are jerks to me.

Recently a man was walking in a local state park openly carrying a semi-auto, 'pistol-ized' AK variant assault rifle with a banana clip across his chest just to freak park goer's and the park staff out. Thats being a jerk-off. Just because you can legally open carry things like that, doesn't mean you should. To me, OC'ing multiple pistols would also fall into that category. Its your right to do though. I just think your being more respectfull to your local residents, LE's, etc, to carry multiple weapons covertly if you choose to do so.
    OK...I'm on the same page with you now. One gun carried open doesn't bother me, but if I saw anyone open carrying 2 or more...now that might make me a little nervous.
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    With all due respect, please do not forget that not all people think like you. We all are different; what is right for me might be wrong for you and vice versa. That you do not like something does not mean that other people must dislike it too.
    GM, I do agree with your statement here, but in the spirit of forum interaction, and opinions were asked by the OP. youngda9 was just responding to the question asked from his perspective, and unfortunantly some people like me, have a personality similar to R LEE ERMY,[think og the GEICO commercial where he is portraying a former Marine DI working as a psychiatrist]. Although I am working on my tact, sometimes my old ways come out anyway and are reflected in my posts. But I am working on it. I suspect I am not alone, so just consider that. But when someone asks a group of people as diverse as we are what they think about something, well....stand by, cause they are gonna get just that :) See the smiley? You see, I am getting better!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

How is their name calling any worse than your name calling?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links