Is It Overkill to Carry Three? - Page 5

Is It Overkill to Carry Three?

This is a discussion on Is It Overkill to Carry Three? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Three would be overkill for me, but if a person feels comfortable carrying 3, 4, or as many as they wish, go for it! If ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is It Overkill to Carry Three?

Three would be overkill for me, but if a person feels comfortable carrying 3, 4, or as many as they wish, go for it!

If you have a PRIMARY and a BUG, what do you call the 3rd gun??
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

EW3
    I think carrying 2 is overkill, so 3 is really overkill. I don't even carry a spare magazine, just whats in the loaded magazine and in the chamber!

My points:
    1. You are not a cop
    2. Most defensive shootings are 2-3 shots and over as quick as they begin
    3. The KISS factor; 3 guns to worry about losing, dropping, etc
    4. If you are pulled over how will LEO look at you having 3 guns on you if you are required to notify?

Just my $0.02 of course.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by babyhulk View Post

If you have a PRIMARY and a BUG, what do you call the 3rd gun??
    Overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by babyhulk View Post
    ...If you have a PRIMARY and a BUG, what do you call the 3rd gun??
    Perhaps a "holdout gun".

I recently returned from a week spent in the Kansas City Metro Area. During the course of my visit I carried 3 guns pretty much all the time. Of course my three guns were such that many folks here might have considered me undergunned despite the fact that I had three. They were:

1- S&W 432PD Airweight .32 H&R Magnum with CT Lasergrips
    2- Bond Arms Texas Defender Derringer w/ .45 ACP Barrel
    3- NAA .22 Magnum Mini-Revolver with a XS Front Night Sight and the folding holster grip

I was visiting family that had small children and no gun safe. I started carrying the three guns when I got there because I didn't want to have to worry about kids getting a hold of any of them. The only other gun I brought, a S&W 4586, was along for an IDPA match I attended while I was there. It has a magazine safety, so I left it unloaded and without a magazine in my suitcase, and locked the magazines in the car. I didn't want to leave the gun locked in the car, but if magazines were stolen, that I could live with.

Under usual circumstances I don't carry either the Bond or the NAA when I am out and about. However, the Bond (with a .410 barrel and Federal 000 Buck) is my anti-carjack gun for driving trips and the NAA is my around the house gun (its the only gun on my person when I am inside my house). So, the Bond came along because I spent 17 hours driving each way to KC. I brought the .45 ACP barrel for use once I arrived, no matter what anyone might think the Bond makes a great BUG (but my department won't approve it, so I don't CC it except when driving, when I'm home) The NAA came long because its easy to carry around any house, not just mine. The 432PD is my on-duty BUG and my usual off-duty BUG as well. Its rarely my primary, though it took that role for the trip. I don't, as of yet, have a good carry holster for my 4586. I have a VM2 on order from Milt Sparks, but until that arrives I won't be carrying it concealed.

I spent the entire week in a t-shirt and shorts and I didn't have any issues keeping everything concealed. The 432PD went on my right side IWB, the Bond went in my left front pocket, and the NAA was clipped to the right cargo pocket of my shorts and the butt covered by the pocket flap. I don't have a IWB holster for the Bond, but if I did, I'd likely have carried it IWB (its much faster when using both hands) and kept the 432PD in my front pocket. Likewise, if I had a .32 H&R Barrel for the Bond I likely would have used that to keep the ammunition the same for both it and the 432, or if I had a good IWB holster for the 4586, I could have carried that along with the Bond .45 ACP and left the 432 behind. Those are all things to think about for next year's trip.

In North Carolina I generally carry on my badge because where one can carry with a CHP is so limited. Of course that limits me to guns my department approves. That means at home I usually carry the 432PD and a Ruger SP101 or a pair of SP101s. I always carry two guns (mostly because I carry revolvers). Both Kansas and Missouri have much less restrictive CCW statutes than North Carolina. Given that, I can carry in both states on my NC CHP and carry whatever I might like, rather than rely on LEOSA.

To answer the original question, I think under most circumstances carrying three guns is something of an overkill, but that doesn't make it wrong. I only carry two handguns on-duty (and off-duty in NC), but then again I have both a .223 rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun in my patrol car as well.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If it works for you fine, as long as your permit allows.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

2 is enough for me as long as 1 of them holds 30 rds of 6.8mm

Seems like overkill to me, but I'm new to all of this and I don't walk in your shoes....so maybe its perfect for your situation.

If I could afford the extra guns and the holsters to carry them, I'd probably carry 3 like you mentioned. It's overkill if you're carrying all 3 for the fire power, not if you have a realistic reason for it.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    For me it would be overkill. But if it works for you, then I don't see any problem with it.
    +1 to each their own
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

I'm with those that think you should consider what a jury will think of you carrying 3 guns and possibly some other weapons. One can be legitimately rationalized to many jurors...a concealed carry permit implies it and the fact that you are there confirms that you needed a gun. But 3? It will be easy to say you were just looking for a reason to shoot someone.

I see the sense in different types of weapons, like knife, OC, flashlight...esp since 2 of the 3 are non-lifethreatening....and can indicate a willingness to not take a life...which compliments my personal desires as well.

Make no mistake. If I feel the need to draw my gun...I will be committed to using it. But I'm sure not looking for excuses to do so.

I also think there is something wrong with your lifestyle or location if you really feel the need to carry 3 guns. I've worked, unarmed in Manhattan (inc. Harlem & the Bronx), for yrs and never felt the need for a gun. For such people, wish you more options for peace of mind.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Hey, you wanna carry three pistols for protection, go for it. It's your right. It's also my right to think you're a loon.

Lifestyles are different, but if I felt I need to tote three guns - more than ANY LEO I know - I'd find a better lifestyle.

Three ccw handguns = loony tunes.
    We are all entitled to our opinions.

With that said, you must not know too many LEO's. Most of the LEO's I know tend to carry more than two guns on their person, along with rifles and shotguns. One, close friend, carried two P35's, a third gun on his ankle, plus an MP5. Of course he was chasing dopers in Miami and jumping out of Blackhawks at the time. Today he is retired and carries at least two guns.

His years of training has ingrained in him the habits of reacting a certain way, and that includes the use of a second and sometimes third gun. I myself like to walk around with my hand in my pocket. Thus, pocket carry is a natural extention of that for me, while appearing non-threatening. Generally when I'm packing a revolver as a primary is when I opt for the third gun. Most other times it's just two guns.

Everyone has a different "threshold" as to what they find acceptable. That will of course vary due to life expiriences. I don't expect a jury to be able to phathom carrying one gun, let alone two or three. Thus, it is my job to make them understand why I choose to do so if I am every in front of a jury after a shooting.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

With that said, you must not know too many LEO's. Most of the LEO's I know tend to carry more than two guns on their person, along with rifles and shotguns. One, close friend, carried two P35's, a third gun on his ankle, plus an MP5. Of course he was chasing dopers in Miami and jumping out of Blackhawks at the time. Today he is retired and carries at least two guns.

His years of training has ingrained in him the habits of reacting a certain way, and that includes the use of a second and sometimes third gun. I myself like to walk around with my hand in my pocket. Thus, pocket carry is a natural extention of that for me, while appearing non-threatening. Generally when I'm packing a revolver as a primary is when I opt for the third gun. Most other times it's just two guns.

Everyone has a different "threshold" as to what they find acceptable. That will of course vary due to life expiriences. I don't expect a jury to be able to phathom carrying one gun, let alone two or three. Thus, it is my job to make them understand why I choose to do so if I am every in front of a jury after a shooting.

Biker
    Ummm his job puts him in situations where multiple weapons has an advantage, he is constantly putting himself in danger.t he argument here is whether or not police should carry 3 weapons. should average joe self defense citizen carry 3?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Is it overkill?
    To me it depends on why you are doing it. Do you foresee a situation where you will need to deploy all three? Or is this more about not being able to find convenient accessible mode of carry that will get you through your day with only one?
    If you think it is reasonable that you will find yourself in a situation where you would need all three weapons, I think you might want to re-evaluate some of your life choices up to this point.
    If it is because in your line of work you regularly find yourself in positions that make your primary weapon inaccessible three weapons could be reasonable. That being said I myself would be inclined to investigate other modes of carry to see if I could find a way to get by with just one or maybe two.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

Biker
    There's always someone with an "I know this guy who, blah, blah, blah..." story.

Do all your LEO friends carry their rifle/shotgun/MP5 concealed on their person 24/7? We're not discussing vice cops or ATF agents. The question is whether 3 guns is a reasonable requirement for civilian cc. If you like toting around an entire arsenal because of a bunch of wildly improbable what-ifs, have fun. I still think you're nuts.

As you said, we all have an opinion. Since I may be called to jury duty, I would think someone involved in a shooting that was carrying around three guns was either looking for trouble or was at least a paranoid loon. Jurors have opinions, too.
    Last edited by MadMac; August 18th, 2010 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    There's always someone with an "I know this guy who, blah, blah, blah..." story.

Do all your LEO friends carry their rifle/shotgun/MP5 concealed on their person 24/7? We're not discussing vice cops or ATF agents. The question is whether 3 guns is a reasonable requirement for civilian cc. If you like toting around an entire arsenal because of a bunch of wildly imporbably what-ifs, have fun. I still think you're nuts.

As you said, we all have an opinion. Since I may be called to jury duty, I would think someone involved in a shooting that was carrying around three guns was either looking for trouble or was at least a paranoid loon. Jurors have opinions, too.
    The improbability may not be as far-fethched as you and some others seem to think. Can you draw your IWB or pocket gun with someone sitting on your chest turning your brains to mush? That is a very real liklihood, even for a non-LEO. There are some very real reasons for carrying three guns that have nothing to do with going to dangerous areas looking for trouble. I don't live my life based solely on what you or anyone thinks, just as I don't expect you live live your life based on what I think. I can live with my choices, until I can't. The same can be said for you.

Biker

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links