Is It Overkill to Carry Three?

This is a discussion on Is It Overkill to Carry Three? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is your opinion on carrying 3 guns? I almost always carry my 1911 IWB with tucked shirt and throw my P32 in my pocket. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Overkill to Carry Three?

What is your opinion on carrying 3 guns? I almost always carry my 1911 IWB with tucked shirt and throw my P32 in my pocket. I also have a snubbie and have begun to carry it on my ankle some... honestly, none of the three make my normal activities uncomfortable, and all three together are not inconveinent. I can access the ankle sitting but not the pocket and not always the IWB (especially when shirt is tucked), standing is obviously makes the IWB or the pocket more accessible. Seems a little odd carrying three... It is not really a firepower issue but an accessibility issue? What is the consensus?

2. Remove Ads

Not at all. I usually carry just the old G27 and occasionally compliment it with a snubby in the boot as a BUG.

VIP Member
    I'm right there with you. When I'm doing long motorcycle rides alone, or working in bad areas of town, I have no problem carrying a G30 + G19 or G26 + a pocket rocket in the wallet. In the winter, I usually have a snubbie in my jacket pocket. Like you said - it's more about accessiblity, than thinking that I'd actually use all three.

Most definitely not, If i had more carry options I would definitely carry 2 or 3 guns always!

What is your opinion on carrying 3 guns?
    For myself I'd consider it overkill. I don't walk in your shoes of course and what you might find necessary might seem excessive to me. I carry one gun.

Senior Moderator
    I'll never be one to say what's overkill and what's not.

Personal environment is unique and while I feel nice and comfortable with one gun that holds only 8+1, there are those who live and operate in circumstances where 40+1 is only a reasonable start.

If you have reason to think you need three guns than who is to tell you that you are wrong provided you aren't letting your ideals of preparedness interfere with your life.

I have heard of some people who get so caught up in the "what if" of a remote possibility that they forget to pay any attention to the "what is" of the hear and now. They completely ignore the fact that they are ruining relationships, hurting their work environment and going over the deep end to prepare themselves against the vaguely possible and they don't seem to realize it or care.

If you feel you need to carry three guns and are doing so in regards to your life OUTSIDE of self defense and protection then I say, "Good on ya'."

For me I generally carry at least two handguns, so I don't think three is "overkill".

As you noted, it's more about accessability.

Biker

Administrator
    In most cases, I say three is overboard. I worry about the more likely event of getting into a good old fashioned scuffle and not being able to control three guns on my body.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    In most cases, I say three is overboard. I worry about the more likely event of getting into a good old fashioned scuffle and not being able to control three guns on my body.
    That is a good point Sixto, I wouldn't want to worry about 3 guns getting into the wrong hands plus the BG attacking me as well!

VIP Member
    For me it would be overkill. But if it works for you, then I don't see any problem with it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    That is a good point Sixto, I wouldn't want to worry about 3 guns getting into the wrong hands plus the BG attacking me as well!
    In context though, SIXTO is a LEO. It's his job to get into scuffles. Me - not so much. Still, it's a valid point and FWIW, I'm often down to just a BUG when I'm working outside in the heat. However, I do have environments where I occasionally scale up to three.

Are you asking yourself the question, or everyone else?
    How much does opinion matter when you're doing what's right for you?
    Define 'overkill'.
    Believe in yourself and what you do in order to maintain the status quo.
    I've carried three before, and quite frankly it taxes my abilities and attire. You may be more modular. Many times, I'll carry two.
    Do what's in your best interest at the time.

Unless it's a hassle I say go for it. It's a free country and if you want to carry three guns then do it. It's no "worse" than carrying two extra mags.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    In context though, SIXTO is a LEO. It's his job to get into scuffles. Me - not so much. Still, it's a valid point and FWIW, I'm often down to just a BUG when I'm working outside in the heat. However, I do have environments where I occasionally scale up to three.
    All that is true, but even you are more likely to get into a scuffle rather than a gun fight. And I answer most questions not as an LEO, but as a regular gun toting Joe.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Agreeing with Sixto's answer here, we do still have to hear from Grady.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links