The Case for carrying 2 guns

This is a discussion on The Case for carrying 2 guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Read the post on "Overkill with the carry of 3 guns". Thought I'd post this link and get your thoughts on the carry of 2 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Case for carrying 2 guns

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

The Case for carrying 2 guns

Read the post on "Overkill with the carry of 3 guns". Thought I'd post this link and get your thoughts on the carry of 2 guns at all times.

http://www.warriortalknews.com/2010/...o-guns.html#tp
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

2. Remove Ads

No thanks..I only carry one. I didnt even use a backup when I was a cop....out of all the guys on out department I know of only 2-3 guys that DID actually carry a backup gun... No need...you/they can rattle all the what ifs off but you can add even more what ifs and it just becomes a unending loop...what if the BUG does not work either because it was ankle carried and got some funk from being so close to the ground into the firing pin channel..all kinds of crap and what ifs...so I carry 1 gun and one only..I make sure to the best of my ability to clean it after every range session and even after a few days of CC it I will make sure its still "good to go"...but no need (to ME) for a BUG .

I can definitely see a need for LEO...i carry one sometimes because i can in certain high risk areas to be more accessible. And above all i just like to occasionally.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I like to have a P3AT in my front pocket in addition to my primary pistol, when I can.
    Not that I think the primary will fail, not carrying 2nd pistol specifically for that reason; I like the option of sticking my hand in my pocket on pistol without anyone knowing.
    Might be (is) comforting if approached in a parking lot when loading stuff into vehicle; person approaching may have innocent intensions, may not. I can't have my hand on primary without making a scene.

Also, a P3AT is not my idea of a primary, if clothing allows more.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    No thanks..I only carry one. I didnt even use a backup when I was a cop....out of all the guys on out department I know of only 2-3 guys that DID actually carry a backup gun... No need...you/they can rattle all the what ifs off but you can add even more what ifs and it just becomes a unending loop...what if the BUG does not work either because it was ankle carried and got some funk from being so close to the ground into the firing pin channel..all kinds of crap and what ifs...so I carry 1 gun and one only..I make sure to the best of my ability to clean it after every range session and even after a few days of CC it I will make sure its still "good to go"...but no need (to ME) for a BUG .
    I agree.

I carry one pistol, might would carry 2 pistols (full-size and pocket during winter, going to a bad area), would never carry 3 pistols. It still comes down to carrying to make an escape, I don't see carrying two guns as necessary to make an escape in 99.9% of the potential situations.

Even as a LEO, I would rather use my pistol to get to my rifle/shotgun, and then use my rifle/shotgun to get to my tank. ;)

kpw
    Some would think I'm nuts for carrying one. A few more might think so because I carry two. Personally, I could care less what others think about my personal decisions. Save yourself some grief and just do what your comfortable with.

For what it's worth, most LEO I know do carry a BUG on duty. Seems to be more the trend today compared to 20 or so years ago.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I usually have two pistols on me if I'm carrying. For me it's more of a reliability issue over fire power. I'm of the mindset that anything made by man can fail, but the odds of two quality pistols going belly up is unlikely IMO. For me it's anything .380 and up in caliber. I lean more toward the same caliber for both carry options so either or can use the same ammo.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I'm quite happy with just one good, reliable pistol.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I carry a BUG on me. Not full time but enough to know the ropes of carrying a BUG.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I don't think I've carried a BUG more than twice in my life. I do always carry a nice knife all of the time though.

I have carried two handguns on several occasions. Generally a compact or full-size and my LCR. It works for me but I know some people see it as overkill...

The only time I carry an extra firearm is on some occasions in the car. On a nice day, the top is down, being 'out and about' the town...I like to tuck the .357 Ruger between the seat and console.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I too on occasion carry two guns. All the same logic for carrying one gun applies to two guns.

My BUG rides on my off-hand side.

No comments on the gut now!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I've been carrying a BUG for quite a while now. Whether it's an XD9sc or a SP-101 or most often and lately the tiny Ruger LCP. Not necessarily for if my primary gun fails (G-23), but for all the other valid reasons mentioned in the article. And there are plenty of times when I don't carry two guns. Most frequently would be when out and about in my rather small rural town of 3,500 people.

But if I'm going anywhere else, I'll probably have two and maybe one additional in the vehicle.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    As a young peace officer, working a very active area in the mid-late-1980's, I arrived at home one morning to discover a rattling sound emanating from my S&W Model 58. I removed the grip panels, and the mainspring fell out in two pieces. This was during a period when I had become complacent, and had stopped carrying my S&W Model 60 snubby back-up. Well, I quickly ditched complacency, and have carried a second handgun at work since that time. Most of my co-workers do the same, and many who don't are younger officers still saving for that second weapon.

Off the clock, I started regularly toting a second weapon about 2002, and still do so most of the time. One big reason is because I am left-handed, but right-armed. Precision shooting is best done with my left hand, the drawstroke is more naturally performed with my right arm, and short-range defensive-type shooting is feasible with either hand. It makes simple good sense to have a weapon accessible to each hand.

Also, I see a co-worker on almost a daily basis, whose left forearm was shattered by a robber's bullet when he arrived at a home invasion in progress. Reading about other incidents in which the participants were struck in the hand or arm provides more object lessons. The FBI incident in southern Florida in 1986 is a microcosm of such incidents; several agents were hit in the hands or arms, and Agent Dove's pistol itself was hit and disabled, though it was a moot point, as he had emptied his mags by then.

To be clear, I developed the habit of carrying two guns in 2002 with SP101 snubbies. I could shoot an SP101 as well or better than my duty Glock, and the protruding rear slide of the Glock complicated concealment; I could hide two SP101s easier than one Glock, even a "baby" Glock. When I switched to a P229 for a duty pistol in 2004, I eventually started carrying SIGs concealed more of the time, but have not yet abandoned the two-gun habit.

Some of the arguments I see on various firearms forums against carrying two guns sound disturbingly like the arguments that anti-gunners use against carrying any guns at all. OTOH, I don't think there is anything wrong with being content with one weapon, or no even weapon. Freedom of choice is right up there with freedom to carry.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links