Thoughts on an Unconcealed Holster

This is a discussion on Thoughts on an Unconcealed Holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about this overnight while I sit here at work with an empty holster. What are your thoughts on an unconcealed empty holster ...

Thread: Thoughts on an Unconcealed Holster

I was thinking about this overnight while I sit here at work with an empty holster. What are your thoughts on an unconcealed empty holster in the work place. Should the holster stay concealed, is it not that big of a deal since it's empty or does it depened on the situation. Now lets add to this and say that everyone you work with knows that you carry. Does this change your thoughts?

I bring this up because as I'm sure you've figured out I can not carry at work. I work in a court house and have to leave my carry gun in a lock box on the ground floor. I work in a secured limited access area of the court house and everyone in my dept knows that I carry due to the fact that I have to make a stop at the lock box on my way into the building. I work with a small group so word gets around pretty easy about any and everything pertaining to each other.
    I say limited access because there are other empolyees that do have access to our area to include the Sheriffs Dept.
    My thoughts are the holster should stay concealed, why advertise the fact that you do carry outside the work place.
    Curious to what everyone else has to say on the subject.

I agree that the holster should stay concealed. Why bring attention to something that is really nobody elses business and they actually do not have a need to know.

VIP Member
    Definitely keep it concealed. It will just make your life easier that way.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Ordinarily I would agree that it should be concealed. You said the people in your office aready know you carry. If this is true then the point about concealment is somewhat moot. I would like to suggest an alternative of sorts. Sounds to me that you have a belt hoster.
    If this is the case why not get a paddle holster and put the gun and the holster in the lockbox? This should also reduce the risk of a negligent discharge. The less time you are handling the gun outside the holster the less chance for a discharge. Should save alot of trouble and embarassment.

Of course I would much rather have my 1911 in the holster while at work but having to put it in a lock box is not that big a deal and it's better than having to leave it in the car or not carry it at all. It was a little strange at first spending 8 + hours at work with an empty holster but I soon got used to it. I'm just glad our Sheriff provides a place for those who carry.

los
    You never want to be "made" when you're carrying,...but you definitely NEVER want to expose the fact that you're NOT carrying!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

put the holster in the lock box with your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by los
    You never want to be "made" when you're carrying,...but you definitely NEVER want to expose the fact that you're NOT carrying!
    I'll 2nd this thought... I was going to type this same remark, till I read LOS's
    I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

DC Founder
    You could get something like a Max Con V and just leave it on, otherwise I would leave it in the box with the gun....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I like everyone else, think that if you have an empty holster on you are better off having it concealed. If you have a holster that you are comfortable with and will fit in the lock box, so much the better.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

los
    Quote Originally Posted by knpjdad
    I'll 2nd this thought... I was going to type this same remark, till I read LOS's
    Great Minds think alike!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    You need to get an Alessi CQC/S or similar and leave the holstered gun in the lock box.

Thanks for everyone that responded to this post, I was curious to see if everyone felt the same as I did about the holster staying concealed even if it's empty.
    At times things get quiet here and last night was one of those nights and this just popped into my head.

Sponsored Links