Fate or concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Fate or concealed carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK I am not religious and I apologize if I offend those that are.....BUT one of my favorite religious jokes fits this to a "T"..... ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fate or concealed carry?

OK I am not religious and I apologize if I offend those that are.....BUT one of my favorite religious jokes fits this to a "T".....

A man living by a river is standing on his porch watching as the rising flood waters are approaching, a man in a jeep pulls up and hollers "Jump in, I'll take you to high ground". The man answers "No thanks the lord will save me" and the jeep drives off.

The flood waters keep rising and cover the porch and first floor and the man is hanging out of a second story window when a powerboat comes by and the man driving hollers "Stand by, I'll come get you and take you to higher ground", the man answers "No thanks the lord will save me" and the boat goes on searching for other people.

The waters keep rising and soon the second story is flooded and the man crawls out on the roof from an attic dormer and is spotted by a helicopter and a rescuer is lowered and tells the man "Put the harness on and we'll take you to higher ground" but the man answers "No thanks the lord will save me" and the rescuer is pulled up and the helicopter leaves.

Shortly there after the house is swept off the foundation and breaks apart, as the man is swept away by the water and is starting to go under he looks up and hollers "Where were you lord, I counted on you to save me and you let me down"!

There came a thundering voice from the sky that said "I sent you a jeep, a powerboat AND a helicopter, what more did you expect".

Sometimes our salvation is in our own hands. Carry always, use sparingly.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    So do you ignore fate? If you are going to die at a certain time then why carry at all? If it is all planned out what is the point of being armed?
    Your sister is right. We each have a predetermined course of existance. It is futile to try to change that course by carrying a firearm. Wait...if everything is predetermined, then the fact that I carry is predetermined. So if I want to break with fate, then I shouldn't carry, right? Oh, but wait...maybe not carrying would then have been my predetermined course and I just didn't know it, so then I should carry, right?

Sorry, but seriously, you're posting a question like this on DEFENSIVECARRY.com?
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Good news, because If it's all God's plan then I can blame God for all the dumb-***** "stuff" I have done in my life and I assume will do more of in the future....."I'm sorry Hillary, but God made me do it!"
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

A man who does not provide for his family is worse than an infidel.

As I'm the husband, I provide money, housing, and protection to my family. If fate takes me away, that is what life insurance is for. They would rather have me fight and survive that sit there helpless and not.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Theres many ways to view this... I live in a Mennonite area, Mennonites are members of what is called the "Peace" groups. Others in the group include the Amish and Brethren. They believe like your sister does, and most of them will not defend themselves.

People have a vague misunderstanding of God. Some look at the NT, but forget about the OT. God is unchanging. I believe and I know the bible teaches that God is allknowing. He knows our day of departure from this earth. So whether or not I carry, has nothing to do with the day I die. When my day comes, then it comes. But I guarantee you God already knows how it will play out. I am a Baptist, and attend College to become a Pastor myself. My CWP class has 9 members from our church. Although I disagree with your sisters view, I respect her opinion, as I do with some people in my own family who are like she is.

The best thing to do is not argue, since you said she respects your view also.:)

Not to deride your sister's religious views but I've wondered about this point before. I cannot seem to reconcile religious people who also believe in fate. To me, they seem to be at odds with each other.

If everything in our lives is predestined, wouldn't it be a little unfair for a God to punish one person for leading a bad life (ie. sending bad people to hell). After all, the concept of fate is akin to actors on a stage just following a script.

+1 Exactly my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Koontzy View Post
    Theres many ways to view this... I live in a Mennonite area, Mennonites are members of what is called the "Peace" groups. Others in the group include the Amish and Brethren. They believe like your sister does, and most of them will not defend themselves.

People have a vague misunderstanding of God. Some look at the NT, but forget about the OT. God is unchanging. I believe and I know the bible teaches that God is allknowing. He knows our day of departure from this earth. So whether or not I carry, has nothing to do with the day I die. When my day comes, then it comes. But I guarantee you God already knows how it will play out. I am a Baptist, and attend College to become a Pastor myself. My CWP class has 9 members from our church. Although I disagree with your sisters view, I respect her opinion, as I do with some people in my own family who are like she is.

The best thing to do is not argue, since you said she respects your view also.:)
    Nothing more can be said.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

My fate may be already written and predetermined, but I plan to rewrite it to my best advantage...

Fate???

Maybe my lot is going to be determined by fate, I donít know, but Iím not going to win at Powerball without buying a ticket and I sure as hell am not going to win a gunfight if my pistol is on the counter at home.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

Reminds me of something I heard in a movie, I believe it was Pursuit of Happyness;

One day a man fell out of his boat and was stuck swimming in the ocean. Another boat came by and said "Do you need help?" and the man said "No thanks, God will save me." Another boat came by and they asked him if he needed help, but the man said "No thanks, I know God is going to save me." This happened a third time with the same response. The man eventually drowned and went to Heaven. While he was there, he went up to God and said, "I was drowning in the ocean and I was waiting for you to save me. Why didn't you help?" And God said, "I tried to save you 3 times but you said no to all of them."

What are your sisters thoughts regarding the events leading up to her "fate controlled death?" Does she consider having to endure rape, torture and mutilation prior to her death as part of that same fate experience? What makes her think it will only be a gunman who takes her life in an instant?

I can assure you if she looks at that with some abstract concept that it is all part of the "fate experience" then I would strongly urge her to see a psychiatrist, a priest, a minister, a rape counselor, a homicide investigator or a medical examiner. Any one of those mentioned would be able to put things into a proper perspective for her whether it's through spiritual guidance or a reality approach.

I once ran a woman who jumped out of a 3rd story window after being held captive in an apartment for two days. She was sexually tortured and repeatedly raped over a two day period by an escaped convict before she had an opportunity to escape herself by jumping through a glass window on the third floor. She was repeated raped by the man as well as being violated with a the metal leg off of a table and other objects. She was also beaten extensively and burned all over her body with a cigarette. I can assure your sister she wasn't thinking about her destiny being controlled by fate or "God's will" during the ordeal, and if she could have, she would have killed him.

I have stood slack jawed and stared deep into the lifeless eyes of many homicide victims and pondered just what kind of horror they suffered before death came to them. It's a sickening experience.
    Last edited by Bark'n; August 16th, 2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Cleaned up for grammer and sentence structure.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

3D
    Please show your sister post #72.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

There is fate, and then there is stupid. Standing in a bunch of rattlesnakes and thinking God will protect me is stupid. If I'm dumb enough to do it, I'm sure God will laugh at me when I see him.

100% Religious. 100% carry.

I had a similar discussion with a good friend of mine a few months back. We are of the same faith and church. Her take was that we don't need guns to protect us because God will protect the righteous.

I brought up PLENTY of counters to that from numerous time frames, ie. Martin Luther, Martin Luther King Jr., Peter, James, John, etc etc etc.

I also commented on the use of a seatbelt and possession of a fire extinguisher. Needless to say, you can't convert an anti gun sheeple with fact. At least, not right away.

I carry a gun because I believe that God gave us brains to use. My brain says that if I can protect myself and my family by carrying a gun, I should carry a gun.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links