Fate or concealed carry?

Fate or concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Fate or concealed carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is not an attempt to start a religious debate. I'm just curious how you folks will respond. I had a good talk with my ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Question Fate or concealed carry?

This is not an attempt to start a religious debate. I'm just curious how you folks will respond.

I had a good talk with my sister tonight and during the conversation I brought up that I do carry a firearm. She was not against it at all, she understood why I do carry but she felt that fate would determine if she lives or dies if a random gunman walks into a store and starts shooting.

I told her that might be so but I enjoy knowing I have the ability to shoot back if necessary. I have no desire to place my life into the hands of "fate" and "what if" but she does.

My sister is religious and I'm 100% positive this is where her thinking of "fate" comes into play but with that said I know a lot of you are religious as well but carry.

So do you ignore fate? If you are going to die at a certain time then why carry at all? If it is all planned out what is the point of being armed?

Don't flame me or get upset for asking this question. I ask because I'm curious.

God helps those who help themselves.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    I am very religious myself and believe the good Lord has made available means to defend ourselves and we are foolish if we do not use them.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Your own fate is in your own hands. No two ways about it no matter what you believe. Our time of death and departure from this earth may have been predetermined in some form or fashion. Thing is, that we let nothing stand in the way of our true destiny. We all have control over that and seeing to our 'given' demise. Everything that was meant to be will be....or would it? History has been written and you are but a grain of sand in the universe? You still have the ability to change the outcomes and cause a ripple in the sea. But you must rise above that which is professed to you by others that are bound by their own minds. Fate. It's what you make of it and not what someone else tells you. Believe in yourself and all things you dream of will come to fruition.

I'm not religious but I believe that I'm responsible for every action in my life and the outcome of my life. I don't have my permit yet (because of NY's restrictive system, but it should be here in a month) but chose to apply for my CCW permit to prevent my life and safety being put in the hands of another person. I figure that if I'm CCW'ing and an event were to take place, lets say a gunman, I would have the opportunity to alter the odds into my favor of escaping the situation.

Many people seem to fall into the trap of saying God will determine their fate or some other form of non-violence and feel very righteous about their belief. Actually the bible teaches that there is real evil in the world and it must be resisted. The use of a firearm or other violent force in the defense of innocent life is noble and laudable. Doing nothing is not. We used to call it cowardice.

I suppose by that same line of thinking you could argue that fate, or god, will provide housing, will provide food, will provide warm clothes in the winter, ..... without that they would surely perish - so does this person work for a living? If so they are altering "fate" and altering the day that they die ;)

I don't ever read where God told us to sit back and expect life to be served up for us on a silver platter.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

KAK
    Maybe it was fate that you strapped your gun on that day when you save an entire establishment full of people from getting executed.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Though that is nowhere in the Bible as far as I can find. I think the general idea is Biblical. Along the lines of helping the widow and the orphan but turning away the man that can work but chooses not too. Funny, that one's not talked about much. Nehemiah 4, 17-18 told the worker to carry a tool in one hand and a weapon in the other. Not because they did not trust God. But because the knew the kind of people they were dealing with. I also believe strongly that the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. And on any given day God may use one of us as that good guy, regardless of our beliefs.

Although I don't agree with the idea of Christian Pacifism. I admire the faith of those that do.

And I don't ignore fate, though I bounce back and forth with believing in the idea as you are using it. I'm not always convinced there is a set time. But if God says times up, nothing I am carrying is going to do me any good. But I also believe that I am made with a brain and the intelligence that goes along with it so that I can make good decisions on how I live my life. And I have decided that carrying a firearm is one of those good decisions. Because I have seen the kind of people that this world breeds. I will tell you, as a Christian, it was a very personal and more difficult decision than I thought it would be. 10 yrs ago I would not have given it a second thought. But I am more involved in studying Christianity and understanding the faith now. So it spawned some serious questions for me. One of the turning points was some of the info I read here and talking to a brother in Christ that is a Sheriff, who carries 100% of the time.

Continuing to talk to your sister about it would not be an issue. However, trying to convince her to do something that her faith tells her not to would put the proverbial "stumbling block" in her path. Not saying you are. Just an FYI really. There are some hard and fast beliefs in the Church, then there are many things that allow for some interpretation. I think this issue allows for some drastic differences between otherwise similarly believing brothers and sisters.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    This is not an attempt to start a religious debate. I'm just curious how you folks will respond.

I had a good talk with my sister tonight and during the conversation I brought up that I do carry a firearm. She was not against it at all, she understood why I do carry but she felt that fate would determine if she lives or dies if a random gunman walks into a store and starts shooting.

I told her that might be so but I enjoy knowing I have the ability to shoot back if necessary. I have no desire to place my life into the hands of "fate" and "what if" but she does.

My sister is religious and I'm 100% positive this is where her thinking of "fate" comes into play but with that said I know a lot of you are religious as well but carry.

So do you ignore fate? If you are going to die at a certain time then why carry at all? If it is all planned out what is the point of being armed?

Don't flame me or get upset for asking this question. I ask because I'm curious.
    So if she thinks "fate" determines her life, did she not bother getting any sort of education? Does she not use a seat belt or buy homeowner's insurance?

To some extent, I think that when your number is up, it''s up; you leave this life when God decides, and not when you do. Nonetheless, none of that is an excuse to go through life unprepared. God gave us brains and the ability to use them, and He put us at the top of the food chain for a reason. We disrespect Him when we fail to use the tools and the brains He's given us to live our lives well.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

As a person who has been stuck in the kill zone, I can say for certain that if it isnt your time to go no amount of others trying will make you. On that note I believe in fate or destiny. I believe our lives were written before we were born and what will be will be. That does not mean that I should just lie down and let it happen. The joy of life is the quest. When I wake up in the morning I must go about my life so that I can learn and appreciate what has been given to me by God, Allah, Zeus, that tree in the yard, or whatever your Higher power may be. One will never know if they have been chosen to be the hand of The Lord. You must go out into the world with all of the tools made available to you so that if you are the one chosen that day as has been said
    Quote Originally Posted by KAK View Post
    Maybe it was fate that you strapped your gun on that day when you save an entire establishment full of people from getting executed.
    You can execute the task presented.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post

If all things happen according to plan, how does she know having a weapon and defending herself is not her fate?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Trust in God, but keep your powder dry.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

The sister did not make a religious argument. She just enunciated the same thinking that leads most people to not carry a concealed weapon. "Fate," in this case, should not be mistaken for "God." Rather, it's a reference to statistical likelihood.

You know perfectly well that your chances of needing a firearm are slim. It is most probable that you'll never need it. The most dangerous thing you do is drive a car. To be perfectly safe, you wouldn't drive anywhere. You'd take a bus for transportation, or find some way to always stay home. You know for a certain fact that every time you head out on the road, some drunk driver or a texting teen could run a light and plow into you dead-on and kill you in a twisted ball of wreckage.

But you accept that possibility, figuring that if your number is up, it's up.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Fate does not mean that we sit back and let it happen.
    I believe that our thoughts and actions ARE a part of our own fate.
    I could be wrong, but your sister could be dead right.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links