Packing.org users

This is a discussion on Packing.org users within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did Packing.org finally bite the bullet? I haven't been able to log on for a couple of days and was wondering if they're still up ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Packing.org users

Packing.org finally bite the bullet?

Did Packing.org finally bite the bullet?
    I haven't been able to log on for a couple of days and was wondering if they're still up or not.

Wes
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Just FYI

The same question has been asked on some other forums also.

I tried a few times to get on yesterday as a test & I could not connect to the site.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Subject to PDO being up again - or not - the word we have been promoting is http://www.handgunlaw.us .

Gary Slider has worked hard on this and it would appear that right now it is well up there re current info. Maybe now our definitive source, as Packing has been for so long.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Post Updated Fyi

I just tried again & it took forever to get to get an UNKNOWN HOST.

so...obviously something is very wrong and connecting to pdo has been on & off sporadic for quite some time now.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I hope that PDO is not gone forever, We will keep checking to see
    when the Site comes back up.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I actually welcome a new site and/or name change to the "packing.org" site. The anti-self defense idiots , not having a single functioning brain cell to think for themselves, love to use the annoyingly cliche' phrase "packing heat" far too often, even in reference to lawful concealed carry. We should not lower ourselves to their level of infantalism by using the same wording they use in their attempt to condition the le that carrying firearms is BAAAA-aaaahhhdd.

Bravo on the change..I say.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I'm with you Enigmaone. I liked the site even with its problems. There may be others that may be better but that was where I started. Hope it comes back.

VIP Member

I like this site/but hope PDO hasn't gone away

I guess the title says it. I hope PDO hasn't gone away.
    I frankly found some of its stuff on reciprocity a bit easier than Handgunlaw.us

Also, with all the laws changing all the time, it is helpful to have several sources.

On that note, I read the Arkansas rules at the link over at Handgunlaw.us. Toward the end they indicate the States that recognize Arkansas, and I assume this is reciprocal, but that is not clear.

Does anyone know with certainty that Arkansas recognizes the Texas license?

Senior Moderator
    [Does anyone know with certainty that Arkansas recognizes the Texas license?
    Yes they do. Click on the state of Arkansas and a smaller map of the states that they are reciprocal with will come up...

Oh well...seems like Mark finally pulled the plug.

No big loss. Between the trolls and mark's unwillingness to fix the problems he created PLUS the fact that the vast majority of the state pages haven't been updated in close to a year, maybe its a good thing.

At least this way people won't be getting information that could be wrong because it's almost a year old.

Besides...I like it here better anyhow. I just hope the trolls from packing.org don't make their way along with a few decent people.

I know I added to the the topic, but I don't think its really appropriate to come to another person's forum and start bragging about some OTHER forum. Maybe the admin and the mods see it differently, but I just think its kind of disrespectful to come here and start threads about another CCW website and making a big deal about PDO not being online.

It's probably been down for so long because Mark hasn't bothered to even notice much less care about fixing it.

This site is much better anyhow.

Assistant Administrator
    True Crash - we need to be careful how much we criticize outside of our own forum here - but true enough PDO does seem sadly to have gone the distance.

I think we have adequately expressed the concern and maybe sadness at it's apparent demize - but need no more denigrating comments to be added.

I for one have valued it as the definitive ref point for years but - with http://www.handgunlaw.us out there now, we at least have another and good option thx to Gary Slider.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    I have no problem with anyone talking about another website and/or forum here as long as it isn't to flame them. Personally, I used to use packing.org for a reference and, along the way they offered me some advice that helped us. I never considered us as "competition"; we're not. I purposely never visited the packing.org forum just as I don't visit others. I don't want to pick something up anywhere else and not be able to resist posting it here. I think that would be dishonest on my part as the owner of this site. That doesn't mean you guys can't talk about content over there (or anywhere else), just give credit where credit is due.

I hope packing.org does, in some way, survive, but it doesn't look real good right now, I'm afraid. But don't ignore handgunlaw.us. They seem more than able to fill the gap. If you find something confusing or wrong, I think they would appreciate you sending them an email to correct it. There is alot of work to putting up a new website and the more eyes looking for mistakes helps everyone. I use handgunlaw.us as my reference. They have done a good job on that site and I believe it will only get better with time. They deserve a shot....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

The forums had degenerated into a dozen or so older members...and a TON of trolls.

By troll I mean people posting under second, third, or fourth accounts in order to be able to personally attack another user under the guise of being anonymous.

I now use handgunlaw.us as my reference site for actual CCW information.

Like I said before, and this ISN'T a flame...its the truth....the database at PDO had become so out of date that is was no longer useable.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashVector
    Like I said before, and this ISN'T a flame...its the truth....the database at PDO had become so out of date that is was no longer useable.
    I've heard that from others, as well....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Despite the trolls and the "zero bandit," PDO will be missed. I guess I would have rather seen it just suddenly go dark than slowly degenerate as it did. It's sort of like watching an old friend slowly and painfully pass away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links