Getting smaller... 27 or 36?

This is a discussion on Getting smaller... 27 or 36? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a Glock 23 and really like the gun. However my wife, who just received her permit, finds it too big for her ...

Thread: Getting smaller... 27 or 36?

I currently carry a Glock 23 and really like the gun. However my wife, who just received her permit, finds it too big for her hand. My local dealer ordered in a 36 so we can compare it to the 27. It will be interesting to see which one fits her hand better plus I will probably wind up carrying it myself. Has anyone else compared these 2 guns? Thanks for your thoughts!

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I have a 23 and 27 and to me the grips are the same with the 27 being shorter, however if you go with the 27 you will have compatable platforms that will work with the 23 mags.
    Proud NRA member

SGT
    The 27 or 36 won't feel much different in grip than your current 23. As orangevol notes, the 27 will allow for compatible platform and of course more reasonably priced ammunition. If really for your wife, have her try lots of weapons and find one that "fits" or she won't carry. Since most women have smaller hands, you might want to have her take a look at the Walther PPS.

~SGT

The Glock-36 has the thinnest grip of all the Glocks. It's what got my attention to Glocks.
    I may be a bit biased as my EDC is a Glock-36. My nephew-in-law is a cop and carries a Glock-19. When he picked up my Glock-36, his reaction was, "This is a .45?"
    He was surprised at the grip, as I believe, your wife will find when she grasps one.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm with Ret. I also carry a G36. It feels much better in my hand than the 27/26. It is a little thinner, but with a longer grip. Perfect size for me.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If she can handle the .45, I'd say go for it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

KAK
    The 36 grip feels longer and flatter, I dont like it. Personally I would just get the 27 so you can carry over mags and just hav her shoot it a bunch. Shell get used to it. Also the 27 has some more firepower in a smaller package.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll see what she likes.

I carry my 36 as my primary gun. I have smallish hands and the difference between the 27 and the 36 is really noticable, to me at least. The 36 is the only Glock that fits my hands well. You do give up a few things like magazine compatability and it holds 6+1, but it is light and thin and hides very well. It is one of the few guns that I can hide well since I am very thin. Have her handle and if possible shoot both of them to see what she likes. If she can handle the 36 I would get her it. There are pros and cons to either gun, but go with whichever one works best for her if it is going to be her gun. It is better that she likes the gun and will carry it every day than what we may think on the forum. Either one will be a great choice. Also my 36 has been 100% reliable with a few thousand rounds of all types thru it.

Jermedic, what type of holster do you use? Even though this a gun my wife needs to be comfortable with I will probably carry it sometimes. I currently have a C-TAC that I use with my 23.

I'd prefer the 27, 1) because that what I have and 2) for the 3 extra rounds. Can't really go wrong with either one.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
    I currently carry a Glock 23 and really like the gun. However my wife, who just received her permit, finds it too big for her hand. My local dealer ordered in a 36 so we can compare it to the 27. It will be interesting to see which one fits her hand better plus I will probably wind up carrying it myself. Has anyone else compared these 2 guns? Thanks for your thoughts!
    THIS IS AN UPDATE....
    We went to a range earlier today and had the opportunity to shoot the 27 and 36. We both were able to test both guns and came to the same conclusion. The 27 was our first pick. My wife said it was more comfortable in her hands and she was able to reach the trigger without reaching. I was surprised the 36 was longer and taller than the 27. I was concerned about the short grip on the 27 for myself but it was comfortable and easy to shoot. I would not want to put an extension on it. Bottom line is that I purchased to gun and will take the paperwork to register it tomorrow and pick it up from my dealer on the way home from work. Unfortunately here in NY we have to have any handgun we purchase put on our permit before we can possess it. Thanks all for your comments on these two guns. You were very helpful.

I have both the G23 and G27. The G27 at least feels smaller to me. I think the reason is the grip swell at the rear fits the "pocket" of my hand in the case of the G27. In the case of the G23 the swell hit the hard edge of my palm.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
    Jermedic, what type of holster do you use? Even though this a gun my wife needs to be comfortable with I will probably carry it sometimes. I currently have a C-TAC that I use with my 23.
    I carry my 36 in a Stronghold Phoenix IWB holster from Occidental Gunleather. It is very comfortable all day long and the quality on it is top notch. I use a Crossbreed supertuck for my XD40. Glad you guys were able to try them both out to compare and find the right gun. You will be happy with the 27 I'm sure!

The G27 combines well with the G23. I have both and love them.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Sponsored Links