Mountain Bike Holster?

This is a discussion on Mountain Bike Holster? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone know of a firearm holster that mounts to the frame of the bike and is concealed? I can think of many reason you would ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Mountain Bike Holster?

Mountain Bike Holster?

Anyone know of a firearm holster that mounts to the frame of the bike and is concealed?

I can think of many reason you would not want to do this, but sometimes there are interesting ideas that have been done in a way you might not think.

Then, in general, when trail / mountain biking, what do you use to holster your firearm?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

I carried my baby Glock in a small pack that mounted to the bottom of the seat and the seat post.

I can't remember where I bought it, and it doesn't have a tag in it, but, I probably got it from Bike Nashbar or REI.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

AzB
    I don't like the gun on the bike, I want it on me.

Try a cycling jersey, they have pockets on the back that are perfect for sub compacts or pocket pistols. Some mountain biking jerseys have a zippered pocket, which is recommended if you ride hard. Practice drawing, and you'll be able to get to it very quickly.

I've also just slipped a pocket pistol in the cargo pocket of cargo shorts, and even carried in a CBST. With a small pistol, all these option will work.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

GM
    I always have the gun on me. Personally, I do not think that it is a very good idea to have it on the bike.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I ride with a camelbak backpack that is large enough to carry my EDC. It works much better than a frame mounted weapon since it is on me and I can carry the weight over my center of gravity.
    5lima30ret likes this.

http://www.tommysgunpack.com/Product...GRN-20FREESHIP

This is their best deal........20 bucks inclucing free shipping.

I always order on this sale.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    When biking I carry a NAA .32 Guardian in a NAA IWB holster mounted on the handlebars. An IWB holster should mount on the frame if the straps are stretched a little, however the weight of the gun could cause it to hang at a cant.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    When biking I carry a NAA .32 Guardian in a NAA IWB holster mounted on the handlebars. An IWB holster should mount on the frame if the straps are stretched a little, however the weight of the gun could cause it to hang at a cant.
    I (personally) would not carry anything less than my .357 when mountain biking. The potential threats are not just from people in the places I go when mountain biking. Granted, the potential for harm is pretty low, but I carry to be sure that I go home and not my attacker no matter where I am or what is attacking me.

VIP Member
    Fannypac

I personally would never recommend holstering a gun on a bike. What do with your gun when parking the bike to use the restrooms or to run into a store?

I ride a mountain bike too. I ride wearing a Safepacker mounted as a chest pack using the straps of my Camelbak. I've carried as much as a Glock 23 with a 15 round spare mag, phone, keys and wallet, and wasn't really bothered by the weight. The water in the Camelbak adds even more weight but it provides some ballast to offset the weight of the chest pack. I ride to stay healthy and get stronger so the weight is a good thing, right? Anyway, I've talked to park rangers several times wearing this rig and one time the conversation even included talk about guns and still no inquiry as to what was in the chest pack. It just looks like I'm packed for a long ride.

I've even wrecked a couple of times and it would have sucked to have seen my Glock sliding on the asphalt at 20mph. It was bad enough to be doing the sliding myself, TWICE.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Fannypac
    This is my preferred way on a bike.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I carry a .380 in my camelbak w/extra mag.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

Quote Originally Posted by dirty driver View Post

I've even wrecked a couple of times and it would have sucked to have seen my Glock sliding on the asphalt at 20mph. It was bad enough to be doing the sliding myself, TWICE.
    Finally - someone admitting they crash too.

Crashing has always been my concern when carrying while on the trail. To date I've always slipped my S&W M36 in my CamelBak and packed around it to keep it from shifting. However, it's a bit hard to get to in a pinch. I like the idea of a chest-mounted pack for quick access. When I crash I tend to avoid impacting the chest area, so your set up seems ideal. Got a pic?

For what it's worth, if you aren't crashing at least one in awhile, you aren't challenging yourself enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
    For what it's worth, if you aren't crashing at least one in awhile, you aren't challenging yourself enough.
    I agree. I mess with racecars and it's especially true there. The funny part about my crashes is one crash was caused by a squirrel and the other by a beaver. I popped a wheelie to avoid catching the squirrel in my front spokes and flipped over backwards at 20 mph. The beaver hit me square in the front wheel contact patch causing me to go forward over the bars, again at 20 mph. I also had a deer try to hit me broadside at a full run. We didn't miss by much.

Here's a few photos with a G23 and spare 15 round mag stuffed inside and a Kershaw folder clipped on the outside right strap. The strap holding it all together is a piece of 2" x 14" nylon with snaps installed on the ends. It weaves through the back of the Safepacker and wraps around the Camelbak straps.

The photo on the far right is one that's been stuck in my head since I started riding 7 years ago and is the reason for popping that wheelie.

Chest Pack 004.jpg Chest Pack 003.jpg Chest Pack 005.jpg squirrel in spokes.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dirty driver View Post
    Here's a few photos with a G23 and spare 15 round mag stuffed inside and a Kershaw folder clipped on the outside right strap. The strap holding it all together is a piece of 2" x 14" nylon with snaps installed on the ends. It weaves through the back of the Safepacker and wraps around the Camelbak straps.
    Thanks for the pics. I hope they help the OP because they've sure given me some good ideas.

Yeah, that last one's a little scary. I'm guessing that was a carbon fork... While I've had some near misses with the local wildlife, so far (knocking on wood) I have yet to come in contact with anything on or off road. Probably just jinxed myself given the number of years I've been riding...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links