Somewhat embarrassing stop by LEO

This is a discussion on Somewhat embarrassing stop by LEO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple of years ago I was hurrying back home after picking up my brother & SIL from the Austin airport. Had just dropped them ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somewhat embarrassing stop by LEO

Somewhat embarrassing stop by LEO

A couple of years ago I was hurrying back home after picking up my brother & SIL from the Austin airport. Had just dropped them off at their house in Balcones Village after midnight, and was going about 10mph "over" on Lake Creek Parkway to 620 on the way back to my Brushy Creek neighborhood.

Two APD cruisers pulled me over in the gas station (now closed) on 620. The LEO who approached my car was very courteous and asked the usual questions (I admitted I was probably going too fast, but explained why the hurry - it was waaay past my bedtime after the late night airport run), while I kept my hands in plain sight on the steering wheel with both IDs (DL & CHL) ready.

While examining the cards, he asked me if I was armed... to which I said yes, but that weapon was in the car console. He did not ask to see it, but did inquire as to what kind it was. When I told him "A Keltec .32", he just kind of looked at me...and I swear his eyes teared up a bit & his lips were quivering like he was gonna bust out laughing. I felt about as small as a .22 short.

He just gave me a verbal warning & sent me on my way.

Not long after that, I bought a Kahr PM9.
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

2. Remove Ads

Well, you coulda felt as small as a cb cap or a bb cap... You had a .32... still a capable, deadly weapon... for those who doubt

But, if the LEO's giggles got you out of a ticket... good for ya. And glad you can get a spendy Kahr... there are many who might disparage that as well...
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Perhaps, he was embarrased as well to admit that his BUG was a Keltek .32 also?!?
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about...you carry what you carry, and it may just save your life one day.
    The Kahr 9mm is a better choice, but either gun would work.

Nice cop stop, and no ticket.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    The warning was to carry something more substantial, right?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

If I was the cop, I would have said "I'm just giving you a warning, now take the $200 you're saving and get yourself a REAL gun!"
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Well, did you get a more powerful gun?

Somewhere outthere in an alternate cyber universe there is an Austin PD cop posting this same story under a "The funniest armed traffic stop you ever had" thread

GM
    Nothing to worry about. The only that matters is that you feel comfortable with your firearm.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

One of the most important things in the caliber argument is using your brain and the training to effectively use a fire arm. With good training I can presume any one of us can shoot well no matter what caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    If I was the cop, I would have said "I'm just giving you a warning, now take the $200 you're saving and get yourself a REAL gun!"
    I hope you don't mind if I steal that the next time I stop a CHP holder carrying a POS gun. I carry a .32 H&R Magnum, so I can't knock the .32, but if said CHP holder has a junk gun, I'll use it.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Thats like saying to a woman, "It ain't what you got; it's what you can do with it.....
    My very first pistol was a .32 in a Lama small frame. I fired it into a wet phone book and the rear of the bullet was flush with the outside of the book. It gave me the impression that if I used the gun, it would just P.O. the BG. That 40 years ago. The ammo was weak by todays standards, as they had to protect themselves against lawsuits from very weak guns (AKA saturday night specials). However, I sold it and bought a model 36 smith. The 38 went all the way thru the wet phone book and left a big exit hole. Only problem was Concealment: I was 5'6" and weighed 130#. Finally settled of SOB IWB with a baggy shirt. That was 50# ago......

"I'm gonna let you go this time, but don't ever let me catch you with a Kel-Tek again !"

Hope you learned your lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Somewhere outthere in an alternate cyber universe there is an Austin PD cop posting this same story under a "The funniest armed traffic stop you ever had" thread
    Exactly !!
    "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you !!!" Henry Kissenger as a wise man said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber

I wouldn't care if he rolled on the ground laughing, if it got me out of a couple hundred dollar ducket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links