Carrying while visiting in-laws

This is a discussion on Carrying while visiting in-laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some help/advice. Gotta go visit the in-laws in a few weeks. All of which are very liberal/anti-gun. I normally carry a Crossbreed Supertuck, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I need some help/advice.

Gotta go visit the in-laws in a few weeks. All of which are very liberal/anti-gun. I normally carry a Crossbreed Supertuck, that does do some printing while sitting or bending. If they even caught the slightest idea that I was carrying, it would do great damage to my relationship with that side of the family. Out of respect for them, I'd rather not carry in their house ("their roof, their rules"). Normally, I would just off-body carry (i.e., glovebox since it's a long road trip). However, the area of town where they live in has start to see a lot of crime in their area. Carjackings, robberies, etc. Also, this would be near the beach, deep concealment via jackets, vests are no possible in this 100-degree-daily type weather.

Question is, what are some ideas to carry (if at all) while I'm visiting the in-laws. Should I just keep it in the glovebox if I have to sleep under their roof?

center of mass safe $40. Keep it locked in your luggage when not on you, or locked under the seat of your car when headed out.

2nd thought: find a new wardrobe or holster. You should be able to have almost total concealment.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member
    It's a shame you got that stomach bug and don't feel well enough to drive over there.

i use a smart carry for these situations..

maybe ultracarry or lightning wear? Don't know what you are carrying, but if it's small, that would work. In other words, DEEP conceal, or as suggested, just put it in a lockable container in a bag. It could even be the little plastic case it came in, or an aftermarket one. Your bags are personal.

I'd say carry it where legal lock it up at inlaws
    "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you !!!" Henry Kissenger as a wise man said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber

Quote Originally Posted by CyanLite View Post
    Gotta go visit the in-laws in a few weeks. All of which are very liberal/anti-gun. If they even caught the slightest idea that I was carrying, it would do great damage to my relationship with that side of the family.
    You're not prepared to lose friends or family over such a thing. But they sure seem ready and willing to do just that. Sad. But it's reality with many families, that other family members would be willing to roast the relationship over a spit before daring to open their minds to the possibility you're not a hardened criminal for "having dared bring guns into their lives." (BTDT, myself. I feel for you.)

However, the area of town where they live in has start to see a lot of crime in their area. Carjackings, robberies, etc. Also, this would be near the beach, deep concealment via jackets, vests are no possible in this 100-degree-daily type weather.
    And so, it's a simple matter of what you're prepared to accommodate, if attacked while not armed with your typical, most-capable arms. You can always use alternatives (ie, knife, kubaton, cane).

Question is, what are some ideas to carry (if at all) while I'm visiting the in-laws. Should I just keep it in the glovebox if I have to sleep under their roof?
    If you're coming with several people and/or the house will be cramped, you've got an iron-clad reason to stay at a nearby motel. It raises the cost of the trip, a little, but it might help solve several of your problems.

Yes, avoiding carrying while inside their home would leave your car, motel room, and outside their home as the places you'd have your weapons. For normal activities around them, consider a knife, kubaton (if you're able to use). Being a bit of a gimp, I can bring along the 'hardened' cane for such situations. In the car, having a slid storage spot (ie, a COM safe) might do the trick, though if the car gets stolen then you lose the gear as well.

Tough situation. It's hard to be armed with a firearm, if being caught with it's going to jettison good relations on that side of your family. But then, you didn't marry that side of the family; you married your spouse. If okay with your spouse, carry deeply (or with a SmartCarry device), then accept the possibility your in-laws might take it personally and go ugly on you.

Good luck with the trip.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    You do not say where your from. I believe some states require notification of a home owner, if your carrying. If not required in your state, and they have not previously told you they don't want weapons in their home, I'd go ahead and carry. The majority of sheeple wouldn't know a concealed weapon if it bite them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If you feel you must carry I would go with a small gun in a smart carry. No reason they should find that on your person I would think. I agree with the hotel idea if there will be lots of people staying at the house at the same time. If it were me, I would just lock it up in the car or my luggage while at their house so as to not cause a fight. For outings I would do a small gun with smartcarry and then lock it back up once at the hose. You know them better than us, so use your best judgment.

Oh, hell no. If I'm spending the night, my gun stays with me. Maybe I'll leave it in my glove box if I'm only staying a few hours, but if its overnight, my gun stays with me.

I love my sidearm and I will never be apart from it. If the lady's family has a problem with that, well... that's their issue, not mine.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

What's in your arsenal?Do you have a small pistol that would fit in your pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by CyanLite View Post
    I need some help/advice.

Gotta go visit the in-laws in a few weeks. All of which are very liberal/anti-gun. I normally carry a Crossbreed Supertuck, that does do some printing while sitting or bending. If they even caught the slightest idea that I was carrying, it would do great damage to my relationship with that side of the family. Out of respect for them, I'd rather not carry in their house ("their roof, their rules"). Normally, I would just off-body carry (i.e., glovebox since it's a long road trip). However, the area of town where they live in has start to see a lot of crime in their area. Carjackings, robberies, etc. Also, this would be near the beach, deep concealment via jackets, vests are no possible in this 100-degree-daily type weather.

Sorry, but due to the bold copy in your post, I'd have a hard time being disarmed just because someone in my family don't like it. I'm of the mindset that, while I try to respect everyone's right to what ever they want in their particular world. When it comes down to the safety of myself, or my family, nothing on earth trumps the amount of respect I have for a possible life or death altercation. Who gives a hoot about the "because I was traveling, I wasn't carrying" the BGs are looking for the tourist, they see easy marks.

Provided I'm licensed to carry in the state I'm visiting, I'm packing period.

IMO, just because you're traveling you shouldn't relax on your self defense measures. I have several small .380 carry pistols for just such events. I don't tell family members that I have a carry licesce so it never comes up in conversations. I'm not trying to disrespect my family by not telling um about my status, or if I'm carrying. Truth be known, I can be deadly with or without my firearm, the pistol in my pocket just gives me a better chance for survival. A fast lunge with a good pocket folder at close range can be just as deadly as a pistol at the same distance.

How do they feel about knifes

The way I look at it; it really is my secret weapon and I like it that way. I also carry the Kimber pepperblaster for times when I can't carry a firearm.

Good luck to ya, stay safe.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

My family is mostly 'anti', but that hasn't stopped me from maintaining the ability to defend myself. I'm sure that most know, and probably don't like it...oh well!
    My concealed weapon can't be seen, so there's nothing to discuss. Perhaps it's because I'm known to be a miserable grouch at times that the topic never comes up for discussion.
    I'm also not some young chicken trying to enter the family hen house, I'm the old rooster who most people let be...fine with me!

Sooner or later you're going to have to make a stand about protecting yourself and your own family...time is running out. What's it going to be?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm in the camp that believes the homeowner can set the rules under his/her own roof. I do that at my home. If you know that being discovered carrying in their home would cause a family fracas, you are obligated to honor the rules of the house.

Me? I'd leave it locked in my COM safe in the car.

OK kids, it's time to play What's the Statistically Most Likely Outcome? Choose one of the answers below:

a) you blaze away at home-invading miscreants at 3:20 am, killing two would-be rapists/murderers in the family room at your in-law's place. Your in-laws beg your forgiveness for ever doubting your desire and ability to carry, and ask you to help them purchase guns and get permits.

b) your nephew tugs at your shirt, exposing your Roscoe while you're hanging in the living room with the in-laws causing a huge row that takes months or years to heal.

Looks like a J frame, LCP, P3AT time.......

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links