first day carrying my new .380

This is a discussion on first day carrying my new .380 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; today i woke up around 1530, and was trying to figure out what to have to eat. Well, I decided on pizza, and I didnt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first day carrying my new .380

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

first day carrying my new .380

today i woke up around 1530, and was trying to figure out what to have to eat. Well, I decided on pizza, and I didnt want to change clothes, so i grabbed my sigma .380 and put it in my IWB holster. Grabbed my shirt and wallet, and headed out the door dressed in t-shirt, and gym shorts. no belt. Went out to the truck and drove to the little ceasers. Nothing unexpected happened, but it was a different feeling not having the weight on my hip from my .40 XDM. I can definatley tell a difference in comfort level carrying this little .380 vs my full size guns, the only problem I had was that "I DONT HAVE ENOUGH GUN!!!" feeling, now that my .380 and holster are here, I think I need to redo my WWW and get some practice ammo
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

the only problem I had was that "I DONT HAVE ENOUGH GUN!!!"
    Exactly. Thing is...at least you have a "gun". You realize how many go without. Better than nothing IMO. Hit what you aim for, and be ready no matter what you have in your tool bag.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    It will get better as you carry the smaller piece. I have many choices in carry guns ranging from .380 to .45 ACP and find myself bugging out the door with my LCP in the right front pocket more often than not. Especially in this sweltering 95-100+ degree heat we have had here in the last few weeks.
    Proud NRA member

i gotta admit, it did feel comfortable, i gotta get some spare mags though
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I never carry my 380 as a primary because I prefer my J frames. I don't think the J frame is a better choice because I can get off rounds quicker with my Colt Governmet 380. I just think it takes less effort to to carry the the J frames. Does this classifie as SLOTH.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

GM
    Glad that you enjoy it
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I never carry my 380 as a primary because I prefer my J frames. I don't think the J frame is a better choice because I can get off rounds quicker with my Colt Governmet 380. I just think it takes less effort to to carry the the J frames. Does this classifie as SLOTH.
    I own .357 Mag S&Ws and .40 S&W Glocks but a 637 or 642 is the gun that "goes to town" with me when I go out the door. I don't think it is sloth, just pragmatic. We have had 95 degree static (110-115 Heat Index) for a month now here in TN and it is strictly tropical (shorts and T-Shirt) uniform of the day. J-Frame or .380 auto is the practical solution. I too find the J-Frame easier to carry and hide but a small auto is just as good if you are comfortable (physically) carrying it. I used to carry a BERSA .380 CC and felt "protected' with it. I also practice daily with a .22 (S&W 317 for revolver/S&W 2214 for the auto) at realistic ranges and can keep all of my shots in a 4-5" ring out to 25 feet. That is the only "rub" with a smaller gun, you must practice with it often to be proficient.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I do not know what it is like in everyone's corner of the world as far as danger and crime-related problems and maybe I am fortunate to live in a relatively crime-free area of SC; I obtained a CCWP because I could, and enjoyed the experience and the knowledge gained, but leaving aside the "what ifs", which really shut down the conversation and I have no reply to them, I fail to appreciate any value that I have walking around CC, particularly during the daytime. If anything, the sense of responsibility associated with CC is such that I feel that I am limited to many normal everyday responses to goofball idiots who interfere with my comings and goings (ie traffic idiots, sidewalk idiots etc etc)--responses that I would never think twice about but must keep under wraps lest I escalate a stupid situation into a confrontation. The ONLY 2 instances that I truly would feel comfortable being CC are in the evening comming and going from a religious function or dinner and in both cases in SC, CC is basically not allowed in religious institutions or restaurants serving liquor. I could go CC but if a problem arose, the obvious question would be how could I have CC without having violated the basic restriction on CC in those locations. I'm just sayin and maybe I am fortunate that I live where I live but I believe that situational awareness (going and being in places that are not problems and always being aware of everything as if it will be a problem and avoiding them in an intelligent and timely manner) serve me better than CC. Certainly can understand that each of us who have a CCWP have a different opinion on its REAL value and I respect your opinions. Just stating what I feel is somewhat obvious to me--even though "what if" is still out there.

I have left the Glock at home to run up to the store with just my P-3AT, and I have had that same feeling, but at least I do have a firearm with me.
    If I really had to defend myself in a parking lot, the .380 would certainly be a deterrent, but if I could see the situation unfolding, I be wishing I had the Glock.
    Lately, I've been putting the Ruger SP101 (.357) in my SOB holster...that feeling goes away.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I do not know what it is like in everyone's corner of the world as far as danger and crime-related problems and maybe I am fortunate to live in a relatively crime-free area of SC; I obtained a CCWP because I could, and enjoyed the experience and the knowledge gained, but leaving aside the "what ifs", which really shut down the conversation and I have no reply to them, I fail to appreciate any value that I have walking around CC, particularly during the daytime. If anything, the sense of responsibility associated with CC is such that I feel that I am limited to many normal everyday responses to goofball idiots who interfere with my comings and goings (ie traffic idiots, sidewalk idiots etc etc)--responses that I would never think twice about but must keep under wraps lest I escalate a stupid situation into a confrontation. The ONLY 2 instances that I truly would feel comfortable being CC are in the evening comming and going from a religious function or dinner and in both cases in SC, CC is basically not allowed in religious institutions or restaurants serving liquor. I could go CC but if a problem arose, the obvious question would be how could I have CC without having violated the basic restriction on CC in those locations. I'm just sayin and maybe I am fortunate that I live where I live but I believe that situational awareness (going and being in places that are not problems and always being aware of everything as if it will be a problem and avoiding them in an intelligent and timely manner) serve me better than CC. Certainly can understand that each of us who have a CCWP have a different opinion on its REAL value and I respect your opinions. Just stating what I feel is somewhat obvious to me--even though "what if" is still out there.
    Charleston is not a crime free area. More crime happens in charleston then most other places in SC. I lived in charleston for 5 years...

VIP Member
    I do not know what it is like in everyone's corner of the world as far as danger and crime-related problems and maybe I am fortunate to live in a relatively crime-free area of SC; I obtained a CCWP because I could, and enjoyed the experience and the knowledge gained, but leaving aside the "what ifs", which really shut down the conversation and I have no reply to them, I fail to appreciate any value that I have walking around CC, particularly during the daytime. If anything, the sense of responsibility associated with CC is such that I feel that I am limited to many normal everyday responses to goofball idiots who interfere with my comings and goings (ie traffic idiots, sidewalk idiots etc etc)--responses that I would never think twice about but must keep under wraps lest I escalate a stupid situation into a confrontation. The ONLY 2 instances that I truly would feel comfortable being CC are in the evening coming and going from a religious function or dinner and in both cases in SC, CC is basically not allowed in religious institutions or restaurants serving liquor. I could go CC but if a problem arose, the obvious question would be how could I have CC without having violated the basic restriction on CC in those locations. I'm just sayin and maybe I am fortunate that I live where I live but I believe that situational awareness (going and being in places that are not problems and always being aware of everything as if it will be a problem and avoiding them in an intelligent and timely manner) serve me better than CC. Certainly can understand that each of us who have a CCWP have a different opinion on its REAL value and I respect your opinions. Just stating what I feel is somewhat obvious to me--even though "what if" is still out there.

^^^^^^What does THIS have to do with the OP below?????^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    today i woke up around 1530, and was trying to figure out what to have to eat. Well, I decided on pizza, and I didnt want to change clothes, so i grabbed my sigma .380 and put it in my IWB holster. Grabbed my shirt and wallet, and headed out the door dressed in t-shirt, and gym shorts. no belt. Went out to the truck and drove to the little ceasers. Nothing unexpected happened, but it was a different feeling not having the weight on my hip from my .40 XDM. I can defiantly tell a difference in comfort level carrying this little .380 vs my full size guns, the only problem I had was that "I DONT HAVE ENOUGH GUN!!!" feeling, now that my .380 and holster are here, I think I need to redo my WWW and get some practice ammo
    Unless I TOTALLY missed your point, I have to ask, are you sure you're on the Right coast, Instead of the Left coast?????

Oh well, at least you went and obtained your CCpermit. For your sake, I pray the day never comes that you find you need your firearm, and you have left it at home , because you felt secure enough in your environment.

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

EdC
    I'll carry my P3AT or J frame in situations like those mentioned by OP. That's why I got those pocket pistols, for a quick "grab & go". I know I'm not always going to want to put on a belt for a quick dash to the supermarket. I don't consider myself lazy, just like many things in life, it's risk/benefit/convenience, and what feels right at the time. Personally, I would never carry a P3AT as my sole everyday carry, but some people do, and if they're ok with it, I guess it's alright with me.

For the same weight as my Glock (less, actually) I can carry 2 LCPs. I'm seriously thinking of doing this as my EDC, much as I love my Glocks. Hmmmmm....
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member
    The ONLY 2 instances that I truly would feel comfortable being CC are in the evening comming and going from a religious function or dinner and in both cases in SC, CC is basically not allowed in religious institutions or restaurants serving liquor. I could go CC but if a problem arose, the obvious question would be how could I have CC without having violated the basic restriction on CC in those locations.
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Unless I TOTALLY missed your point, I have to ask, are you sure you're on the Right coast, Instead of the Left coast?????

Oh well, at least you went and obtained your CCpermit. For your sake, I pray the day never comes that you find you need your firearm, and you have left it at home , because you felt secure enough in your environment.

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    FWIW, my take is that Kelcarry is lamenting the laws that prohibit carrying where he/she believes are the places most likely to require SD. Heller and McDonald give some national oversight to SD. If you can justify use of deadly force as an act of SD, SD is always justified.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

honestly, I see myself trading this little .380 in for a 5 shot Ruger LCR and some speedloaders, just as easy to tote around, but in my opinion MUCH MUCH more reliable, MORE gun, and MORE comfortable with that system than I am with this little auto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links