Looking for work and the headaches thereof...

This is a discussion on Looking for work and the headaches thereof... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I feel a need to vent a little. I have graduated with a master's and while looking for work have temporarily moved to ...

Thread: Looking for work and the headaches thereof...

Hello all, I feel a need to vent a little. I have graduated with a master's and while looking for work have temporarily moved to another state (TN) that honors my permit (WV) to see if there is a better job market before making my official move. I researched the laws for nearly a day before making the trip and man, I just feel like I am not doing anything I want to do (it is somewhat of a vacation as well). I do not eat out (resturants that are sit down places serve alcohol which is a no-no while carrying down here), I do not go to the park, or the gun show (again, off limits by law), and when the misses heads over to campus to do things in preparation for teaching I again do not go (law forbids carry on campus - not the college, but the state). I am frustrated, I have lived just long enough to see bad things happen to good people, and I have stood to and have my veteran t-shirt, and of course want to avoid trouble if at all possible and let LEOs do their job. However I also want my tool box in case trouble cannot be avoided, especially while with the love of my life.

In short, it is frustrating, and I feel as though I should almost just stay in condition orange and not carry, but then I think no, I will not say "baaa" as I leave her apartment to go out into the world, but instead will not patronize places that feel that I am unfit to exercise my rights. Anyone else ever get the feeling they are descriminated against, and worse, thought to be a wierd person because they carry?

Ok... Sorry for the rant. Thanks for reading.

AzB
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

Looks to me like you can carry in parks. Also school parking lots is ok, so you can leave it in the car. (Securely locked please! Not just in a console or glove box)

And I thought they repealed that alcohol/restaurant thing last Spring?

Seems like you're making it harder than it really is.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    Hello all, I feel a need to vent a little. I have graduated with a master's and while looking for work have temporarily moved to another state (TN) that honors my permit (WV) to see if there is a better job market before making my official move. I researched the laws for nearly a day before making the trip and man, I just feel like I am not doing anything I want to do (it is somewhat of a vacation as well). I do not eat out (resturants that are sit down places serve alcohol which is a no-no while carrying down here), I do not go to the park, or the gun show (again, off limits by law), and when the misses heads over to campus to do things in preparation for teaching I again do not go (law forbids carry on campus - not the college, but the state). I am frustrated, I have lived just long enough to see bad things happen to good people, and I have stood to and have my veteran t-shirt, and of course want to avoid trouble if at all possible and let LEOs do their job. However I also want my tool box in case trouble cannot be avoided, especially while with the love of my life.

In short, it is frustrating, and I feel as though I should almost just stay in condition orange and not carry, but then I think no, I will not say "baaa" as I leave her apartment to go out into the world, but instead will not patronize places that feel that I am unfit to exercise my rights. Anyone else ever get the feeling they are descriminated against, and worse, thought to be a wierd person because they carry?

Ok... Sorry for the rant. Thanks for reading.
    Hey, dude, there's a book, a movie, and even a Broadway play about you and your life. See Phantom of the Opera. It's where this insane guy trapped in the opera house develops a suffocating crush on a woman, and.....well, I'll let you see the show yourself....

It sounds like the "love of your life" is a gun. You can always make little birdhouses and sell them from behind your caged door in your trailer so bad things won't happen to good people, and you can keep your little toolbox with you 24/7.

Or, you could take a deep breath, decide you can handle what the world throws at you, and you're not going to make career decisions based on a firearm. But that just might mean you may have to face certain situations unarmed - like 98.5% of the population. But, I guess you're worried someone may call you a "baaaaaa-d" word, and hurt your feelings.

You could learn a little hand to hand self defense?

However I also want my tool box in case trouble cannot be avoided, especially while with the love of my life.
    - I agree with the others, you need to expand your toolbox.

A lot of people can't carry at their workplace, so they are without a firearm for at least 1/3 of the waking day. Yet life still goes on.

Currently, your safety toolbox only has one tool in it. With only a hammer, all your problems look like nails.

Also consider this: if you work hard to get a good career underway, you'll make more money, live in a better (i.e. safer) neighborhood, be able to better provide for the "love of your life", have kids and send them to a nice, private school (safer and a better education), and carry lots of insurance on your life to protect your family in the event something bad ultimately does happen to good people. The love of your life loves you until you both go to your reward.

Say you run your life around where you can/cannot carry. Your don't interact with many of your peers, you're barred from the academic scene, you have a lower quality of life, the "love of your life" finally realizes you're a loon, and runs off with the first guy who can provide a better lifestyle, and you die alone from emphysema in a nursing home a bitter, angry man for never getting to shoot someone to death.

Your life = the sum of all your choices.

No no I apparently did not communicate my frustration well, I am not referring to while working at all, but on the entertainment side of the house. I have other tools in my tool box, but I choose to carry. I choose NOT to spend money and patronize places which are off limits, so the personal side of life is a little bland around here. I am not intending to carry while working - at least not as a requirement for employment. I do not think anyone can be that choosy (sp?) right now. However, when I go out personally, yes I intend to carry and it seems as though it is limited around here... Public parks are only able to be carried in to pick up passengers or drop them off according to the AG interpretation, and resturant carry was canned by a activist judge who thinks that restaurant was not properly defined (I honestly cannot see how better to really define it but hey). I subscribe to the thought process of always carry, and stay away from places that do not allow it.

1. Each individual business has the right to post against carry if they choose to. If the restaurant is not posted, and you are not consuming alcohol you CAN carry.

2. You CAN carry in the major Federal Parks under the new law. You CAN carry in any state and/or municipal park the the community has not re-posted since the law change last year. A call to the municipality controlling the park will let you know if they have opted out.

3. You CAN carry in your car on school/college property as long as you don't attempt to go inside with it. It is legal to have it locked in your car while you go inside as long as no unlicensed person remains in the car.

4. No you can't carry loaded in a gun show. You can take it in with you but it must be unloaded and checked at the door then they put a plastic tie around it.

If WV is wide open on these items and they are governing principles of your basic life tenets, then stay in WV, I know there are certain things I feel this strongly about and will not compromise on.

However we have come a LONG way since TN went shall issue in 98 and now have reciprocity with 35 states. I'll take and keep working towards less restrictions.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

I subscribe to the thought process of always carry, and stay away from places that do not allow it.
    - It's your life to live the way you choose. I subscribe to the thought process of carry when I can and be very alert in the places that do not allow it. I went to two different concerts last week where I could not carry and didn't give a second thought about going. One concert was very unmemorable, but the other had some of the best performances I've ever heard live. I'm also going to a wedding in Long Island in 2 weeks and the fact that I cannot carry in NY doesn't bother me enough to no go.

Jem, thanks for the response. As a conversation let me first say I know now why folks are confused about my post - the subject, appologies folks I will fix that...

1 - A judge overturned it last I heard a month or so ago... Has there been a new ruling? Handguncarry.org is outdated to prior to the ruling. http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/News....aspx?id=13142 is one of the write ups on it, and http://www.tfaonline.org/downloads/restaurantruling.pdf is the ruling itself. I have searched and have not found an override anywhere else - if there is please point the way.

2 - Doing another search I think the parks thing is actually legal - I am not sure when it changed but as of 2009 on the AG website it looks like you can carry now - somehow I missed it or misread it? Anyone else want to take a swing at it as a backup to make sure I am not reading it wrong? http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/106/pub/pc0428.pdf

3 - Yup, that is how I understand it.

4 - I do not know about a gun show, but the civic building is off limits by law (not posting).

We have all came a LONG way sir. I think we have much farther to go in all states to allow people their constitutional right (I love how criminal justice professors claim that it is a privilige instead I guess they never read the Constitution but that is another rant).

You being in Eastern TN, is there anything I should be aware of, or anything that we should definitly go do while we are down here? It is a beautiful state and some of the friendliest folks I have ran into since leaving Texas.

Oops, I cannot change the subject title, sorry gang... Think of it more as "Frustrated with stubbornly carrying," or something simliar haha.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I got a headache just from trying to follow this conversations . . .
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Sorry gang, nevermind. I will sort it out on my own. Thanks anyway.

Paladin, the court ruling you refer to was last year. This year a new law was passed, vetoed by the gobnor (just like he did the last one (and yes I can spell governor)), and passed into law over his veto. If the new law has been overturned it's news to me. It is now legal to carry in a bar as long as you are not drinking yourself. Individual restaurants can still post their buildings.

Some links you may find useful:

School Property:

http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpex...templates&2.0#

Parks, etc:

http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpex...templates&2.0#

Carry where alcohol is server:

http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpex...#JD_39-17-1305

Ep, thank you. I see that the overide was this year and the court case was last year. As far as the parks, that reads like it is ok to carry if you have a licence, which is great - when did that change? I am lost in the bloody state website trying to find it from the "horse's mouth" if you will just to make sure it is current and straight. Thank you for pointing those out to me!

You're welcome. I think all the above changes occurred in this years legislative session but I'm not certain.

Also be aware that local governments can still post their parks. I think the Knoxville City Council posted the city parks. They may be trying to get in bloomburg's good graces!

We have made some good progress in our gun laws but still have a way to go. For example, we need to preempt the county governments ability to post their offices. I'm not talking about court rooms here. I'm talking about having to leave my gun in the car to go in and renew my car license tag. We'll just have to keep pluggin' away till we get it fixed.

Sponsored Links