Press checks - they can save your life....

This is a discussion on Press checks - they can save your life.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; David Reyes, 19, allegedly came up behind Lopez and jumped him, and he and others punched Lopez, said witnesses. Lopez, who has a concealed weapons ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Press checks - they can save your life....

Senior Moderator

Press checks - they can save your life....

David Reyes, 19, allegedly came up behind Lopez and jumped him, and he and others punched Lopez, said witnesses.

Lopez, who has a concealed weapons permit, pulled out his pistol to use in self-defense, but there were no bullets in it. After Reyes allegedly shot at Lopez several times, Lopez loaded his gun and fired back, hitting Reyes twice.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/0...#ixzz0wgh324Py
    Wow. Mr. Lopez is a very luck man. Primarily, he's lucky that his assailant apparently can't shoot.

How many of us do a readiness check on our carry gun every time we holster up for the day?

Personally, I do every time the gun comes out of the safe. Drop mag, check to ensure it is full, press-check chamber, holster.

It's a good habit to be in, IMHO.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

2. Remove Ads

I check mine, without fail, every time I holster up.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Not really, The only time it's unloaded, Is when I'm cleaning it or dry firing ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Or is Mr. Lopez one of those people who intentionally carries without one in the chamber because he thinks it's safer? If so, I bet he doesn't do that anymore.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Wow. Mr. Lopez is a very luck man. Primarily, he's lucky that his assailant apparently can't shoot.

How many of us do a readiness check on our carry gun every time we holster up for the day?

Personally, I do every time the gun comes out of the safe. Drop mag, check to ensure it is full, press-check chamber, holster.

It's a good habit to be in, IMHO.
    Everytime without fail It takes 20 seconds to check your weapon. If you cant do something so simple you shouldnt have a gun. Mr Lopez was VERY lucky
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Not really, The only time it's unloaded, Is when I'm cleaning it or dry firing ; )
    H/D
    This pretty much sums it up for me. I can't even remember a time when I thought my pistol was loaded, but it really wasn't. IMO it's a good habit to have though. Most all my pistols have a loaded chamber indicator so checking to see if its charged is mostly a visual thing for me. In that sense, I do check often.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Not something that I worry about...easy check with a Glock, but then it's always loaded with one in the chamber.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not usually, unless it has been shot and cleaned. On occasion I run a finger nail over the chamber indicator. I have a separate practice and dry fire duplicate of my carry gun so my carry piece is never messed with.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I've become pretty good at identifying how many rounds are in my Glock by the weight. That being said, I check the loaded chamber indicator every time I put my holster on my belt.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I rarely if ever check if my gun is loaded before carrying it. If it is out of the safe its already guaranteed that its loaded regardless if its being carried or not. Only time I check is if i'm going to clean it or something that involves the gun being unloaded and then usually I check it about 4 times during whatever process I'm doing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    H/D
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    This pretty much sums it up for me. I can't even remember a time when I thought my pistol was loaded, but it really wasn't. IMO it's a good habit to have though. Most all my pistols have a loaded chamber indicator so checking to see if its charged is mostly a visual thing for me. In that sense, I do check often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    I rarely if ever check if my gun is loaded before carrying it. If it is out of the safe its already guaranteed that its loaded regardless if its being carried or not. Only time I check is if I'm going to clean it or something that involves the gun being unloaded and then usually I check it about 4 times during whatever process I'm doing
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nobody, but NOBODY touches my firearms (carry weapons), they are always loaded unless I've Just cleaned it or we are on the range firing them.
    So for anyone to say, that because I don't check them EVERY TIME I gear up to go out is just grandstanding or self righteous.

Don't be that way.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    So for anyone to say, that because I don't check them EVERY TIME I gear up to go out is just grandstanding or self righteous.

Don't be that way.
    I think you omitted a word here, when perhaps omitting the personal attack on others would have been a better idea.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Agreed on the checking thing....I will always verify a loaded chamber and clip usually before holstering and leaving the house, when home, I continue treating any weapon out of the safe as fully loaded, cocked and safety on . (no rugrats, only dawgs in the house).

My carry guns are always loaded and ready to go. Even so I still do a quick visual check.

Excuse me for sounding like a new guy but, what does the term "press-check" mean?
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links