Has Anyone Heard of This? - Page 2

Has Anyone Heard of This?

This is a discussion on Has Anyone Heard of This? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My old bank had this system and they are not uncommon around here. You go thru the first door which has to close all the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has Anyone Heard of This?

My old bank had this system and they are not uncommon around here. You go thru the first door which has to close all the way before the second door will open. In between is a built in metal detector that will not let the second door open if you set it off. The bank tellers would usually let you in as long as you looked normal. The exit was the same way but without the metal detector.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

(obviously, this could lead to false imprisonment suits... that's why) but you could probably get around that with signage.
    This....if someone's boots set off your metal detector and you trap them in between your doors. I see some very PO'd customers...especially if they are claustrophobic.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

GM
    I have never heard about that. Could it not possible be that some employee saw the men putting the masks on and then he/she activated the door?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

More then Likely someone that set it off,It's pretty hard to set those things to lock down on a specific thing if your going to allow ccw in building even if you didn't allow it,you would have doors locking down on innocent people with metal implants!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I use a small local bank here in Maryland that has a double-door, "airlock" style entry with metal detectors. Seeing as how I am not one of the privileged few with a carry permit here, I do not know whether banks are off limits or not (and nobody posts signs anyway, since not a lot of folks carry) but my guess is not---for those who can get a permit here, there aren't a lot of places restricted.

Anyway, I believe the way it works is that the outer is door remains unlocked until somebody inside decides you are allowed in; then the outer door locks and the inner door opens. Same on the way out---you go through the inner door and it is locked behind you when somebody unlocks the outer door.

I do not think the metal detector is an automated part of the system; I suspect that whoever is monitoring inside simply gets that additional piece of information to help them decide whether you get in or not. Overall, they are probably looking at (1) whether they recognize you; (2) your body language, expression, appearance, and whatnot; (3) the metal detector reading; and (4) whether you are alone. The signs require one person at a time through the airlock.

On the whole, I guess I can't complain. I am in a state-wide unarmed victim zone, and this is a bank too small to have permanent security on site. According to the police blotters, a number of BoA, Chevy Chase, and other larger chain banks in the area have been robbed, but not one of the branches with this setup. So, being able to vet people coming in seems to work for the,.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Look for a new Bank, See the world of modern Technology sometimes stinks?

I suspect metal detectors had nothing to do with it. More probable would be that the employee saw the two putting on masks and just manually activated the door lock.
    That's my thinking as well. There is no security added by a passive metal detector system.

Also, since we're on the subject, there's no reason for a bank robber to increase the penalty for the offense by using a firearm at all. It's totally unnecessary. The way it works now, you can just pass the teller a note saying, "give me all the money." The staff are trained to offer no resistance to any attempted robbery. They'll toss a dye pack in there, activate the alarm, and if they have a locking vestibule, they'll seal you in there when you try to escape.

It's really one of the worst possible career moves, bank robbery. The average take is peanuts - maybe $2,000 or so. When they catch you, it's a 10-year minimum in federal prison. Don't know about you, but I don't think I'd last 10 minutes in Leavenworth.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    This....if someone's boots set off your metal detector and you trap them in between your doors. I see some very PO'd customers...especially if they are claustrophobic.
    Yea. Exactly what is the difference between this practice described here and unlawful detention. Its one thing to push a button and lock in someone who is trying to flee AFTER having attempted a robbery. It is another, to screen folks entering and not let some in.

But locking innocent people in, e.g., steel toed boots, CW, etc., even as part of a security system with lofty goals is still one hairs width from being a felony, and maybe is a felony.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    In 1977 I worked at Miami International Airport as concourse security for Wackenhut Security Services. We could set the sensitivity of the walk through metal detector to go off with teeth fillings. My more perverted colleagues would do so with a female of the super model persuasion strolling through obviously ccw'ing only her body as a deadly weapon! So procedure mandated security personnel then pull them aside for a fast professional "wanding," even if we got a female security to do that, we still had to ummm "OBSERVE." Hey, I was 20 years old!
    You and your friends should have been fired.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    That's my thinking as well. There is no security added by a passive metal detector system.

Also, since we're on the subject, there's no reason for a bank robber to increase the penalty for the offense by using a firearm at all. It's totally unnecessary. The way it works now, you can just pass the teller a note saying, "give me all the money." The staff are trained to offer no resistance to any attempted robbery. They'll toss a dye pack in there, activate the alarm, and if they have a locking vestibule, they'll seal you in there when you try to escape.

It's really one of the worst possible career moves, bank robbery. The average take is peanuts - maybe $2,000 or so. When they catch you, it's a 10-year minimum in federal prison. Don't know about you, but I don't think I'd last 10 minutes in Leavenworth.
    Not so sure about the penalty. It can be prosecuted as a state crime, not federal. I actually knew (very indirectly) a man who lost his mind and robbed a bank-- he got 5 years on state charges.

VIP Member
    This concerns me in that I have a heart pacemaker, after putting it in my doctor informed me I should not pass through a security type metal detector but did not give a reason why. I have never seen a warning on any of them but the only time I have been around one is at the courthouse, I just show the guard my card and bypass the detector and have the guard pat me down. If there is a problem there should be warnings posted and procedures for bypassing the detector.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

They do sell them. I have no idea if this bank has one or not. Below is a quote from the website http://www.safeandvault.com/index.ph...ntrance-safety

Hamilton Entrance Safety System protects with:

• Multi-level monitoring system -a metal detector and motion sensors are used to limit access through the entrance and exit to your building. This system makes it extremely difficult for more then one person to enter at the same time.

• Bullet-resistive glazing - protects personnel inside your building

• Warning alert - bank security personnel are discreetly alerted whenever a metal mass reaches the detector. In the event of an alert, the inside entrance door remains locked until security personnel release it.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

In Nebraska we can't carry in any bank so not too big a concern for us.

Does anyone know if there is a law against carrying (with a permit of course) into any bank in CA, even if they have signs? It is a PITA to disarm to be able to get through the double door "airlock". I have always set it off but just hold up my cell phone and keys and they let me in but this is without my EDC gear. Would the system be able to detect that stuff and at a level "over" the mass of the keys and cell phone?

To be honest, I'd be kinda annoyed if I had to basically get prison-cleared everytime I walk into my bank. I already have to talk to tellers through thick ballistic glass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links