Has Anyone Heard of This?

This is a discussion on Has Anyone Heard of This? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Apparently a bank robbery was foiled the other day in Fairfax County VA due to an alert employee...and some technology that scares me... The BGs ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Heard of This?

Has Anyone Heard of This?

Apparently a bank robbery was foiled the other day in Fairfax County VA due to an alert employee...and some technology that scares me...

The BGs weren't too bright because they were spotted by the alert employee putting on masks as they entered...

In a vestibule of the building, police said, the men put on masks. With Halloween far off, police said Friday that they think the men's purpose was robbery. If so, the group did not succeed.

Instead, police said, a metal detector inside the doorway was activated. Exactly what set it off was not described, but police said a second set of doors leading into the bank automatically locked.
    Men in masks shut out of Fairfax bank by security system that can detect weapons

So, what it I'm CCing and try to enter the bank...will I be locked out?

I may have to drive up to this bank and see if they have any signage...and if not, try to enter...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

I've never heard of this, but metal detectors go off all of the time because of the amount of metal that people carry every day (keys, pocket knives, belt buckles, boots, etc.). It'd be interesting to learn more about this system and how it handles false positives.

Sounds more likt a metal Detector that is set to a certain degree of sensitivity (as in detecting a larger object) and automatically locking the door system. You sometimes see this type of exit/entry system in Jewlery stores and Pawn shops, where the Clerk is physically required to open the doors and let you enter.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Instead, police said, a metal detector inside the doorway was activated. Exactly what set it off was not described...

As the bank employee saw the men putting on masks, I'm assuming that the bank employee activated the doors, not the metal detectors.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Could be a red herring to give would be robbers second thoughts.

I have a friend that is a trainer for a large bank. I'll ask him if he's knows anything about this.

that's new to me, but it could be easily done. So, if somebody with a defliberator on their belt, may get locked in too ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I suspect metal detectors had nothing to do with it. More probable would be that the employee saw the two putting on masks and just manually activated the door lock.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Sounds more likt a metal Detector that is set to a certain degree of sensitivity (as in detecting a larger object) and automatically locking the door system. You sometimes see this type of exit/entry system in Jewlery stores and Pawn shops, where the Clerk is physically required to open the doors and let you enter.
    In 1977 I worked at Miami International Airport as concourse security for Wackenhut Security Services. We could set the sensitivity of the walk through metal detector to go off with teeth fillings. My more perverted colleagues would do so with a female of the super model persuasion strolling through obviously ccw'ing only her body as a deadly weapon! So procedure mandated security personnel then pull them aside for a fast professional "wanding," even if we got a female security to do that, we still had to ummm "OBSERVE." Hey, I was 20 years old!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    In 1977 I worked at Miami International Airport as concourse security for Wackenhut Security Services. We could set the sensitivity of the walk through metal detector to go off with teeth fillings. My more perverted colleagues would do so with a female of the super model persuasion strolling through obviously ccw'ing only her body as a deadly weapon! So procedure mandated security personnel then pull them aside for a fast professional "wanding," even if we got a female security to do that, we still had to ummm "OBSERVE." Hey, I was 20 years old!
    Haha, nice. Also, Wackenhut must be getting huge, because they are all over the place here in VA.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    Haha, nice. Also, Wackenhut must be getting huge, because they are all over the place here in VA.
    Wackenhut has always been huge. I had a friend who made $10K a month in the early 1970s as a bodyguard for the Shah of Iran for Wackenhut. He was former SOG from 'Nam and a former CIA operative. At least so said the rumors that swirled around him. He passed away last year and just before he passed he wrote and held a funeral for his old cover identity. Part of the eulogy spoke of a "man who was never born; never died and lived only a short while..." The Miami Herald even sent a reporter but they cancelled and pulled the story when they discovered it to be bogus. But all his local friends attended and helped him through his catharsis. I was one of them along with my family. Then he died a few months later from cancer. The Miami Herald covered his actual funeral.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    I suspect metal detectors had nothing to do with it. More probable would be that the employee saw the two putting on masks and just manually activated the door lock.
    I tend to agree with this statement....
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I have installed two security enclosure entry vestibules in banks. They have metal detectors that will lock you in. Steel toe boots will set them off. Basically they will buzz you in if you look normal. If you start beating on the glass I am sure they figure something is up and call the cops. When I was in new york city, the store merchandise detctors would go off in some stores when I went in. I had nothing magnetic but had an aluminum and metal camera. No keys or other metal. I think some places had metal detectors to warn of a possible gun or looming holdup.

Whether or not a "turn key" system exists... a metal detector gives a signal when metal is detected... that signal could be sent through a relay and acitvate locks.... easily... now, the question is...

Why not lock entry and exit doors..? Trap the would be robbers in a glass cage? and while we're building electric relays, why not have the relay call 911 with a recorded message; if after a certain amount of time, say 30 seconds, the doors are not opened by an interior guard or teller?

(obviously, this could lead to false imprisonment suits... that's why) but you could probably get around that with signage.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links