Defensive Carry banner

Has Anyone Heard of This?

4K views 29 replies 27 participants last post by  JOHNSMITH 
#1 ·
Apparently a bank robbery was foiled the other day in Fairfax County VA due to an alert employee...and some technology that scares me...

The BGs weren't too bright because they were spotted by the alert employee putting on masks as they entered...

In a vestibule of the building, police said, the men put on masks. With Halloween far off, police said Friday that they think the men's purpose was robbery. If so, the group did not succeed.

Instead, police said, a metal detector inside the doorway was activated. Exactly what set it off was not described, but police said a second set of doors leading into the bank automatically locked.
Men in masks shut out of Fairfax bank by security system that can detect weapons

So, what it I'm CCing and try to enter the bank...will I be locked out?

I may have to drive up to this bank and see if they have any signage...and if not, try to enter... :image035:

#2 ·
I've never heard of this, but metal detectors go off all of the time because of the amount of metal that people carry every day (keys, pocket knives, belt buckles, boots, etc.). It'd be interesting to learn more about this system and how it handles false positives.

#3 ·
Sounds more likt a metal Detector that is set to a certain degree of sensitivity (as in detecting a larger object) and automatically locking the door system. You sometimes see this type of exit/entry system in Jewlery stores and Pawn shops, where the Clerk is physically required to open the doors and let you enter.

#10 ·
In 1977 I worked at Miami International Airport as concourse security for Wackenhut Security Services. We could set the sensitivity of the walk through metal detector to go off with teeth fillings. My more perverted colleagues would do so with a female of the super model persuasion strolling through obviously ccw'ing only her body as a deadly weapon! So procedure mandated security personnel then pull them aside for a fast professional "wanding," even if we got a female security to do that, we still had to ummm "OBSERVE." Hey, I was 20 years old!

#4 ·
Instead, police said, a metal detector inside the doorway was activated. Exactly what set it off was not described...

As the bank employee saw the men putting on masks, I'm assuming that the bank employee activated the doors, not the metal detectors.

#8 ·
that's new to me, but it could be easily done. So, if somebody with a defliberator on their belt, may get locked in too ?

#13 ·
I tend to agree with this statement....

#14 ·
I have installed two security enclosure entry vestibules in banks. They have metal detectors that will lock you in. Steel toe boots will set them off. Basically they will buzz you in if you look normal. If you start beating on the glass I am sure they figure something is up and call the cops. When I was in new york city, the store merchandise detctors would go off in some stores when I went in. I had nothing magnetic but had an aluminum and metal camera. No keys or other metal. I think some places had metal detectors to warn of a possible gun or looming holdup.

#15 ·
Whether or not a "turn key" system exists... a metal detector gives a signal when metal is detected... that signal could be sent through a relay and acitvate locks.... easily... now, the question is...

Why not lock entry and exit doors..? Trap the would be robbers in a glass cage? and while we're building electric relays, why not have the relay call 911 with a recorded message; if after a certain amount of time, say 30 seconds, the doors are not opened by an interior guard or teller?

(obviously, this could lead to false imprisonment suits... that's why) but you could probably get around that with signage.

#16 ·
My old bank had this system and they are not uncommon around here. You go thru the first door which has to close all the way before the second door will open. In between is a built in metal detector that will not let the second door open if you set it off. The bank tellers would usually let you in as long as you looked normal. The exit was the same way but without the metal detector.

#20 ·
I use a small local bank here in Maryland that has a double-door, "airlock" style entry with metal detectors. Seeing as how I am not one of the privileged few with a carry permit here, I do not know whether banks are off limits or not (and nobody posts signs anyway, since not a lot of folks carry) but my guess is not---for those who can get a permit here, there aren't a lot of places restricted.

Anyway, I believe the way it works is that the outer is door remains unlocked until somebody inside decides you are allowed in; then the outer door locks and the inner door opens. Same on the way out---you go through the inner door and it is locked behind you when somebody unlocks the outer door.

I do not think the metal detector is an automated part of the system; I suspect that whoever is monitoring inside simply gets that additional piece of information to help them decide whether you get in or not. Overall, they are probably looking at (1) whether they recognize you; (2) your body language, expression, appearance, and whatnot; (3) the metal detector reading; and (4) whether you are alone. The signs require one person at a time through the airlock.

On the whole, I guess I can't complain. I am in a state-wide unarmed victim zone, and this is a bank too small to have permanent security on site. According to the police blotters, a number of BoA, Chevy Chase, and other larger chain banks in the area have been robbed, but not one of the branches with this setup. So, being able to vet people coming in seems to work for the,.

#22 ·
I suspect metal detectors had nothing to do with it. More probable would be that the employee saw the two putting on masks and just manually activated the door lock.
That's my thinking as well. There is no security added by a passive metal detector system.

Also, since we're on the subject, there's no reason for a bank robber to increase the penalty for the offense by using a firearm at all. It's totally unnecessary. The way it works now, you can just pass the teller a note saying, "give me all the money." The staff are trained to offer no resistance to any attempted robbery. They'll toss a dye pack in there, activate the alarm, and if they have a locking vestibule, they'll seal you in there when you try to escape.

It's really one of the worst possible career moves, bank robbery. The average take is peanuts - maybe $2,000 or so. When they catch you, it's a 10-year minimum in federal prison. Don't know about you, but I don't think I'd last 10 minutes in Leavenworth.

#25 ·
Not so sure about the penalty. It can be prosecuted as a state crime, not federal. I actually knew (very indirectly) a man who lost his mind and robbed a bank-- he got 5 years on state charges.

#26 ·
This concerns me in that I have a heart pacemaker, after putting it in my doctor informed me I should not pass through a security type metal detector but did not give a reason why. I have never seen a warning on any of them but the only time I have been around one is at the courthouse, I just show the guard my card and bypass the detector and have the guard pat me down. If there is a problem there should be warnings posted and procedures for bypassing the detector.

#27 ·
They do sell them. I have no idea if this bank has one or not. Below is a quote from the website http://www.safeandvault.com/index.php/electronic-security/entrance-safety

Hamilton Entrance Safety System protects with:

• Multi-level monitoring system -a metal detector and motion sensors are used to limit access through the entrance and exit to your building. This system makes it extremely difficult for more then one person to enter at the same time.

• Bullet-resistive glazing - protects personnel inside your building

• Warning alert - bank security personnel are discreetly alerted whenever a metal mass reaches the detector. In the event of an alert, the inside entrance door remains locked until security personnel release it.

#29 ·
Does anyone know if there is a law against carrying (with a permit of course) into any bank in CA, even if they have signs? It is a PITA to disarm to be able to get through the double door "airlock". I have always set it off but just hold up my cell phone and keys and they let me in but this is without my EDC gear. Would the system be able to detect that stuff and at a level "over" the mass of the keys and cell phone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.