Friend of mine's gas station incident

This is a discussion on Friend of mine's gas station incident within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This did not happen to me: As told to me by a friend of mine – off duty LEO. Within the past few years my ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

This did not happen to me: As told to me by a friend of mine – off duty LEO.

Within the past few years my friend said he put his kid’s pool in the back of his truck & went with his brother in law to a local gas station to air it up (daytime).
    While airing up the pool a car with two guy’s pulled up close and asked them if they had change for a hundred dollar bill.
    My friend said he looked at his B-I-L smiling like [can you believe this dude?] – Looked back at the guy in the car and said – “they might have it inside the station there (nodding his head toward the gas station store area)”
    Guy in car said “Naw, I’m asking you if you have it”
    My friend said “Well, maybe I do – let me check (same time he said this he pulled his shirt up to reveal his CCW).
    Upon seeing his gun the two sped off \ left the area.

We both talked about how some of our LEO friends don’t carry off duty and how we ALWAYS’s do and that was one example of why.
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    This did not happen to me: As told to me by a friend of mine – off duty LEO.

Within the past few years my friend said he put his kid’s pool in the back of his truck & went with his brother in law to a local gas station to air it up (daytime).
    While airing up the pool a car with two guy’s pulled up close and asked them if they had change for a hundred dollar bill.
    My friend said he looked at his B-I-L smiling like [can you believe this dude?] – Looked back at the guy in the car and said – “they might have it inside the station there (nodding his head toward the gas station store area)”
    Guy in car said “Naw, I’m asking you if you have it”
    My friend said “Well, maybe I do – let me check (same time he said this he pulled his shirt up to reveal his CCW).
    Upon seeing his gun the two sped off \ left the area.

We both talked about how some of our LEO friends don’t carry off duty and how we ALWAYS’s do and that was one example of why.
    Ummm , can you do that? flash your weapon at someone because they asked for change ( even if it is suspect) 0.o?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote: "Ummm , can you do that? flash your weapon at someone because they asked for change ( even if it is suspect) 0.o? "

When told they might have change inside and the guy's response being what it was - under these circumstances I'd see nothing wrong with doing this anywhere myself.

Some details left out to keep the story from going on too long - suffice it to say the two guy's didn't appear to be outstanding citizen's honestly looking for change for a hundred dollar bill.
    Last edited by ArmyCop; August 17th, 2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: For content
    For God, Family and Country!

ABSOLUTLY! GREAT Post! Obvisously the dudes in the car had other intentions
    This is a good example of one of THE REASONS why we should ALWAYS carry when legal to do so.
    I shutter to think what may have happened if your friend didn't have his BUG/EDC with him.
    These days, just going to the gas station, in order to inflate a pool, tire, get gas, etc can get you robbed, or worse.
    BTW, if we think the Friend was considered "brandishing" remember what one dude said when Army's friend mentioned to go into the statin to see if they couldbreak the 100.00 bill it was somthing like "NAW, I'M ASKIN YOU IF YOU HAVE IT" That said, I think we're all smart enough to "read" speech tones, and body language here. I'd do the VERY same thing (lift up my shirt) and if the "dude" has a problem with it, and wants to call the Police about it, well I think he (the dude) could be added to the "America's dumbest Crimminals show"
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Ummm , can you do that? flash your weapon at someone because they asked for change ( even if it is suspect) 0.o?
    Just reaching for my wallet.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Thankfully Michigan allows open carry, so if I wanted to do this, which I propbably wouldn't, I would discreetly raise my shirt over my carry weapon while the car was between us if possible. That way if the two guys wanted to call the police I could say that I did not reveal my gun in a threating many (brandishing) which of course they are not going too, because I was open carrying before they got there.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    He just switched to open carry which is legal in many states. He could have also simnply showed the gun to his buddy.

Crime deterrence through visual communication.

sweet

Ah, yes... The classic "Interview" technique. One of the "pre-assault" cues thugs use when probing a potential victim. Thugs looking to see how much cash the guys had on them at the time and would likely have committed the robbery when they were distracted while digging in his wallet for the money to change the $100 bill.

Good thing he wasn't just a "part time" carrier!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Right from the start I would have said ..."No, I don't have change" and walked away. Why did you continue to engage with him when you were suspicious right from the start?

Your friend lifting his shirt to show his gun while checking to see if he had change was engaging and lead the interaction to a new level. It is possible that their response could have been a violent re-action. This could have backfired very easily and could have been easily avoided.

Avoidance would have been a much better choice than showing the gun.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Outstanding good job on his part. I would have done the same thing.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Crime deterrence through visual communication.
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

When told they might have change inside and the guy's response being what it was - under these circumstances I'd see nothing wrong with doing this anywhere myself.
    unless they already asked inside and they refused....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Right from the start I would have said ..."No, I don't have change" and walked away. Why did you continue to engage with him when you were suspicious right from the start?
    Another good idea.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links