Conceal permit and TSA

This is a discussion on Conceal permit and TSA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had taken my DL out of my wallet to make a photo copy of it and I forgot to put it back in. A ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Conceal permit and TSA

I had taken my DL out of my wallet to make a photo copy of it and I forgot to put it back in. A couple days later I was accompanying my minor daughter to her departure gate at the Little Rock Airport. I passed through TSA security with my CCP as ID without a raised eyebrow from the guy checking ID's. So apparently an Arkansas CCP can be used as ID, or the guy at the security check point is incompetent...........
    Molon Labe

2. Remove Ads

If you use a concealed weapons permit to gain access to an airport, you lose the right to complain about being "chosen randomly" for a strip search. You can use your teeth to open a beer bottle but sometimes you just end up braking your teeth.

You're using the wrong tool for the job. Do you use your sidearm to pound nails? If not, why would you use your CHL to get through TSA screening?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Why use your CWP as an ID? use you ID as an ID!
    Sometimes you need two forms of picture ID. What is so wrong with using your concealed weapons license? Are you ashamed of it?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    For you younger folks, we used to get paper tickets--no ID required to get on board.
    And not just *paper* tickets, paper tickets with built-in *carbon paper* on the back, to make the multiple copies and receipts...

And you could even pay with *cash*

VIP Member
    My advice is, why advertise.

As is said here often enough, concealed means concealed. As far as I'm concerned, that means your CWP as well.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Of course, none of this would have been necessary until relatively recently. For you younger folks, we used to get paper tickets--no ID required to get on board. You could get on board saying your name was Mr. Mouse. We have lost some of our freedom due to our fear.
    Something that I was not aware of until recently was that NO ID IS REQUIRED. It just makes things faster. The TSA will ID you via some other means. Don't know what that is... But you can show up and can get through with no ID.

"Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening."
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    Something that I was not aware of until recently was that NO ID IS REQUIRED. It just makes things faster. The TSA will ID you via some other means. Don't know what that is... But you can show up and can get through with no ID.

"Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening."
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm
    Yes, and no. NO one says you will make your flight while they check you out. Also, airline might not be cooperative. But, yes, I have actually seen a woman with children go through TSA sceening with no ID but a check book. So your basic point is valid at least by what I have observed.

OTOH, I do know that once upon a time someone sued because of this ID issue and the judge (at least this is what the papers reported) dismissed because of a government assertion that there was "a secret law." Now, I am about as far from a conspiracy dude as anyone, and I actually don't believe there is a law, secret or otherwise, maybe TSA regulations but USCode. Maybe, ha ha, no one really knows. They just do stuff.

And now that you have publicized this all, I expect the rules will be changed once again.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    The concealed carry permit is just that; a license to carry a concealed weapon. It is not a source of ID.
    By the same line of reasoning, a driver's license is just that; a license to operate a motor vehicle. It is not a source of ID.

So long as your CCP has a photo and clearly identifies you to be you, I'd imagine TSA should allow it. Of course, TSA workers probably might give you a little grief since they're used to 99% of people showing either a driver's license, passport or military ID and hand you over to a supervisor just to double check. If they're in a rush, they probably might ask if you happen to have a driver's license on you too. But I'm certain that in a scenario where every other document identifying you as yourself was stolen and all you had was a permit issued by your state with your photo, name, address and DOB, it should be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Beg to differ with you, but the TN HCP is as legal a state issued ID as the TN DL.
    I agree with this. From Tn as well. Our HCP is good for photo identification...i.e voting. I've had to use mine in several occassions where somone was wanting to see multiple forms of ID.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    The concealed carry permit is just that; a license to carry a concealed weapon. It is not a source of ID.
    That^^^ In FL, one must carry ID along with the CWFL.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links